Dr. Stone

Watch it again and look how often it just has no animation at all. Or where it pans over a stillframe. Or where there's nothing but lipflaps or blinking. Or a character sliding around without animation.

They try to get around it with well-placed animation-loops, quick editing, good ambient sound of nature and so on. They also give good camera angles for really simple and poor walking animations that are basically just the one character sliding up and down. Since the editing is great, they are able to camouflage most of their corner-cutting, but if you pay attention, there is not much animation at all.

That's why I was so polite and simply said the animation is "poor", instead of shitting all over it. Because that's the work of talented people that were simply not given enough time or money. You can see that they gave their best to give the viewer a good experience nonetheless, but still, the animation is definitely not good at all.
I don't think it particularly matters if the story thus far isn't something that calls for great animation to begin with, it's not as bad as say, if something like Fire Force didn't have good key frames or good dynamic angling for when some bloke is kicking in a fire monster's teeth in.

I don't think it particularly matters if the story thus far isn't something that calls for great animation to begin with, it's not as bad as say, if something like Fire Force didn't have good key frames or good dynamic angling for when some bloke is kicking in a fire monster's teeth in.
Well, you can decide for yourself what level of animation quality you want or need. I'm not dropping it or say it's not worth watching, because they still make it work and so on, I had a good time with it despite it. I gave examples how they work around it to give the viewer a good experience.
But still, there's nothing wrong with pointing it out or explaining how it's poor animation.

I miss the days when anime used to be animated.

Not sure about this one thus far, both the oaf and the narcissist are pretty annoying and one-dimensional, narcissist at least has a decent VA playing him, the oaf is just dull as dishwater. There's an interesting concept in here that could be really interesting if done well, but it doesn't look like being particularly deep or clever from this first episode. And i struggle to accept that you be up and rearing to go after nearly 4,000 years alone in the paralytic darkness with only your thoughts.

Episode 1:

Okay, but can science explain that hair?

Honestly, I'm not sure what to think of this. The only expectation with which I really went into this was "okay, it's a popular shounen," so I wasn't really expecting a ton from it. And as a few people have already said, the concept is interesting, but these characters... oof. I could handle the other guy, but our main character who seems to have some sort of cross between an octopus and a green onion growing on his head, he's gonna get insufferable pretty quick. Maybe not as fast as Asta screeching every 10 seconds, but that overly cocky attitude and OP brain is not pleasant either...

Was honestly expecting the other guy to move the roots holding his crush and find her legs missing or something... Honestly, I'm still not convinced it won't happen...

Watch it again and look how often it just has no animation at all. Or where it pans over a stillframe. Or where there's nothing but lipflaps or blinking. Or a character sliding around without animation.

They try to get around it with well-placed animation-loops, quick editing, good ambient sound of nature and so on. They also give good camera angles for really simple and poor walking animations that are basically just the one character sliding up and down. Since the editing is great, they are able to camouflage most of their corner-cutting, but if you pay attention, there is not much animation at all.

That's why I was so polite and simply said the animation is "poor", instead of shitting all over it. Because that's the work of talented people that were simply not given enough time or money. You can see that they gave their best to give the viewer a good experience nonetheless, but still, the animation is definitely not good at all.

The editing really is great, because I didn't notice any of that. I guess I was too busy trying to understand what was going on plot wise because I haven't read the manga. Or something like that ... But I think I might be more aware of those flaws when I'm watching the second episode now that you've explained them more closely. Thank you for taking the time to do that. :)

Well, you can decide for yourself what level of animation quality you want or need. I'm not dropping it or say it's not worth watching, because they still make it work and so on, I had a good time with it despite it. I gave examples how they work around it to give the viewer a good experience.
But still, there's nothing wrong with pointing it out or explaining how it's poor animation.
Agree'd it's not great animation wise, I'm thinking that it'll be fine without it personally. Though admittedly this does mean that the manga is a clear superior experience for the most part. However, short of some kind of miracle, that was always going to be the case in my opinion.

Episode 1:

Wow, I liked this a lot more than I expected.

From this first episode it's like the anime is like "We're gonna science ourselves out of this shounen nonsense" and I dig that lol.

I imagine things will get spicier once they get more people freed from the stone and I'm curious to find out what caused the whole thing to begin with.

I can't imagine staying awake and counting that long @_@ That's nuts.

I almost passed over this one and I'm glad I gave it a chance, ready for more.

Reactions: Toy
I really thought it would look better. Also I'm not a fan of Senku's voice. When he first spoke I thought it was unfitting, by the end of the episode I hadn't warmed up to it.

Everything else I liked. I'm glad they kept little things like Taiju growing a beard and shaving with clams. I really enjoy watching Senku experiment and come up with more and more ideas to progress them through the stone age. Even the part with Taiju and Yuzuriha trying to save those birds. It was cheesy as hell and had no significant purpose otherwise and that's why I liked it. The episode in general was well done and faithful so I have high hopes for more.

Meanwhile in the oval office (too bad the anime didn't include this)
RE2cVgu.png

Meanwhile in the oval office (too bad the anime didn't include this)
RE2cVgu.png
Yea Idk why they wouldn't include this foreshadowing, we all know Senku is going to save the president of the United States. No but seriously, the turning to stone scene was rushed a slight bit, I know some people seemed confused whether they were losing consciousness or not.

Episode 1:
Couldn't even animate Taiju breaking out of the stone, lets alone anything else. Dr. Slideshow. Certainly doesn't help this series really fucks up its beginnning. It's paced extremely fast though, so hopefully it'll be over quick.

I haven't read the manga yet, and its probably too early to make assumptions right now, but it seems a bit meh and I don't see where the hype is at the moment. The concept is quite unique and educational which I like but I don't really know what they are gonna make up from it in terms of a plot. This is just my opinion... I'll keep watching though.

Ep 1................set up is interesting, but I'm concerned with the pacing and presentation.

I don't think this show will concern itself much with allowing moments to grow naturally for more impact, everything seemed to happen too fast.

Episode 1:

2VobF.jpg

so what you're trying to say is, both you guys are gonna have to start fucking to save the world

It's alright. I was expecting to hate Smug Vegetable Head, but his bromance and chemistry with Dumb Oaf did well to soften his character. There's real love between those two guys, so it's obvious they're just bantering and that there's no bad blood between them. Smug Vegetable Head could easily put down Dumb Oaf and shit all over his character, but he doesn't. I like that they're co-dependent on each other, so there's a real sense of teamwork and friendship. I'm gonna be weird for saying this, but it wasn't hard to like Dumb Oaf. I liked him the moment he started acting like his dumb self, but I'm thinking his I'M ALWAYS YELLING THINGS BECAUSE I'M ALWAYS SURPRISED shtick will start to wear out soon.

I don't know where this is going yet, so I'm not sure what to think just yet. It's a science show for:

- flat earthers
- climate change dissers
- science-denying boomers

so I guess it can't be all bad.

I can't wait until Smug Vegetable Head and Dumb Oaf start making drugs in the next episode.

So the new guy is a
communist. A saying among many communist is you can Communists as you can own your toothbrush but you cannot own land. It sounds like he would fit in well among antifa.

Serious question.
shouldn't they have enough of the acid to free multiple people at once? It seem in the last episode they were making a bit.

Last edited:
Yea Idk why they wouldn't include this foreshadowing, we all know Senku is going to save the president of the United States. No but seriously, the turning to stone scene was rushed a slight bit, I know some people seemed confused whether they were losing consciousness or not.
I'm confused on how it all works. If they go to sleep, do they die? Do they die only if their body is broken? What about if it's just their toe?
If it's just turn into stone on the outside, why is their inside stone when they break?
Do they feel pain?

I can keep going, but that entire thing is confusing, and I have a feeling there is no answer to most questions. Like why they lived without oxygen, for a long time, and so on.

Back