Dirty Pair

Episode 3
This is more like an episode of Lupin III, but with way more explosions and less hairy knuckles.The writing is starting to be more coherent, and the characters are more distinct. The dialogue is not as hoary, and the explosions are more numerous. Good stuff.

"Sorry, I forgot to tell you about the self-destruct mechanism." I legit laughed there, Sydney. Good work.

Speaking of which, what's all this bullshit about an anime woman having a crush, but not losing her head and needing to be snapped out it by someone else.
And she is not treated as a fallen woman for wanting to sunbathe topless and seduce some dudes. Sickening.

Oh yeah I watched Episode 2 today :o

Even just that quick little bit of ham-fisted exposition at the beginning was enough to make me happy. This episode worked more for me (even if the comedy's still not landing real hard). I think I can get into the swing of this.

Episode 2

Fuck you guys I think their fashion sense is awesome.

Same.

Dude, we need an 80s style AP disco party one day, where everyone just dresses in 80s fashion. It'd be the sexiest fucking hawt ass shit ever.

-------
04:

I jumped to episode 4, cause SCREW THE RULES.

And what a fun silly episode this was. It's just all out ridiculousness, I loves it. Best cat chase ever. As I said before, it really starts to find it's footing around episodes 3-4. A well built-up classic escalation of chaos with a cat's fondness of cheesecake. "Look at those sturdy arms, that's a real woman!" Got that fucking right Kei.

Some romeo and Juliet misunderstandings, rubbing elbows with gangsters robbing a hair bank, and fighting some wrestlers on a disconnected bridge while police cars are flopping all over it. What's not to love?

Last edited:
Episode 3:

2PULM.jpg

Now this is a statement.

Well, I guess y'all already said it. Subtle character moments are the best, especially if they're for two polar opposites like Yuri and Kei. It's easy to get lazy with the tomboy girl/girly girl team-up, because you could just rely on their surface-level quirks to see them through. But Dirty Pair plays it nice and simple, because we're able to get all these little character details that we don't always see or need... but they're details we appreciate all the same. Goes to show how much effort there is in making their characters unique. Even better, most of these details are revealed through their interactions and through their work. I love that they're really great at what they do, even if their Chief likes to think otherwise. They argue a lot, but they're not ditzes. That's great stuff.

2PULH.jpg

N I C E

2PULF.jpg

tryna find your contacts like

2PULJ.jpg

DRAMATIC POSE!

2PULG.jpg
2PULL.jpg

Oh hey, I like this Sydney guy, he's actually really super-cool and super-suave, I sure hope he

2PULK.jpg

OH COME THE FUCK ON! CHRIST MAN I WAS ROOTING FOR YOU WE WAS ALL ROOTING FOR YOU YOU TWO-BIT CONMAN JESUS GOD

I hope he comes back sometime too, but on the real: I liked his undercover hairstyle better. The poofy hairdo makes him look like a generic loudmouth shonen hero.

Yesterday I was in doubt: should I watch W'z or something else? And well, here I am, so guess who finally made a good decision in his life?

I only watched ep 1 so far and I'm not quite sold on it yet though. I was just "ok" with how it went for an introduction but didn't feel much about it in either a positive or negative sense. Bearcat is cool though

Episode 3:
I was about to be upset that Yuri was ruining that nice dress, but then it somehow still ended up being a perfectly even, level tear and still looking fab as fuck. Unrealistic? Maybe. Cool? Hell yeah.

I would also like to see Sydney return later, he was interesting. And I'm glad that obvious sleight-of-hand didn't work XD

This is consistently getting more enjoyable to me, so I think I'm getting into the groove.

Episode 4:

2PWcu.jpg

This guy be the real MVP of this episode, lemme tell you.

Best cat chase ever.

Hell yes, just give all the chase scenes to Kei from now on, please.

The humor in this show has been very consistent, yet non-samey so far, I love it.

2PWcs.jpg

Wait 'till you see the kind of names they got in W'z LMAO

2PWcw.jpg

I don't doubt it.

2PWco.jpg

:D

2PWcx.jpg

such romance

2PWcp.jpg

You know I had to get this.

2PWcq.jpg

This is the look of a man who has given up long ago and is now just going through the motions.

2PWcr.jpg

I lol'd.

2PWcv.jpg

See what'd I tell you? Real MVP.

Episode 4:

In the 80s apparently they thought hair would eventually be so valuable that a robbery at the hair bank would be reason enough to require every cop in the city to show up. You can tell this is from the 80s because even the fuckin' cat has poofy anime hair.

Ya' know I usually find that for a medium where anything is possible most anime is far too restrained. Shows will come up with quirky fun premises, but then they're too afraid to truly go all out crazy with them. It's almost like they're afraid to look ridiculous. That's why I love this episode. There's no part it that isn't ridiculous and just when you think things can't escalate anymore the Blues Brother gang shows up and drives a train into the hair bank so they can capture a chonky cat that just wants to monch on some cheesecake.

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard the toilet flush when Mughi walked out of the bathroom, which make me think of the logistics of his shit. Probably good he's using the toilet because I can't imagine trying to clean out his litter box.

Not that this episode was all fun and games. Kei and Yuri definitely ruined a marriage. Let's poor one out for Romeo and Jullietta.

At least Kei confirmed she doesn't want any of Yuri's sloppy seconds.

This episode did have one nice meta joke. When the science go starts going into some pseudoscience rambling my eyes were starting to roll, then the Lovely Angels bailed me out.
Zw57usX.jpg

Episode 4
Kei in a mechanic jumpsuit screaming at women's wrestling on TV has to be the most butch moment of anime. Kei fondling Lan's arms has got to be peak muscle fetishism, way before Free!.

A hair bank is a great idea. Feels like a pisstake on the then budding cryogenics movement. Apparently hair regaining products don't exist , or are at least prohibitively expensive, in the Dirty Pair future. Robbing them is therefore the last resource of the greying and balding.

Poor Kei, though. Her heroes turned out to be common crooks. No heroes, no gods, no masters!

Another goofy episode from a show that isn't afraid to embrace its silliness.

Yuri offering one of her dudes to Kei just proves that they are in an open relationship together. It's the most parsimonious reading of this show.

What kind of future is this that it's viable to pretend to be an old hag. For years, too. This is starting to feel like Scooby-Doo. IT WAS HIM ALL ALONG! I liked the character interactions and the plays, now I know that if a woman bets something on my table and then goes to the bar, she's definitely waiting for me to come up. And she's probably a secret agent so I should be careful not to show her my anime-planet account or posts.

Big Hmm on this one chief. Being serious for a moment, last episode was a bit predictable but I wasn't expecting him to just be the one character shown at the start. There were a couple of "plot twists" then that could be easy to guess but there was enough that were small 50/50s that it was still entertaining (like the last move by the guy on the powerful coin/chip or whatever), but this episode is starting to demonstrate the constants on this show and I don't know how to take that. The episode was just predictable from almost the very moment the mission was laid down, the only thing was that they got the wrong cat in the very end. The ride was still enjoyable since I never really got bored, but I hope we get some different flavors (besides the dope clothes) if I'm watching this daily.

I think on this episode it was just that the wrestlers felt super shoehorned that makes this stand out like it does to me, so it may just be this time even if the series is still somewhat predictable in the future.

Took me long enough to show up

Episode 1

I found it funny they named the supercomputer Brian since "Brian" and "brain" are pretty much the same word except the order of the third and fourth letter, and also it's happens to be a common name for a person.

Before watching the show I thought they were called Dirty Pair becuase they used underhanded tactics instead of just causing a lot of colatteral damage (but hey! the problem was solved ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ). Also ramming warping a spaceship inside of the computer is one hell of a way to deactivate.

This was so 80s I loved it

Episode 4:
Yeeeaaaah, you should have known there were going to be issues with your marriage just being that your names were "Romio and Jullietta."

What a crazy day at the hair bank...

Y'know, pretty sure these girls caused a hell of a lot of unnecessary trouble that comes down to a lot more than just bad luck... Like, couldn't they have just waved some badges around and been like "yo we need to see your vault for official business" instead of pulling a gun on the dude? And, y'know, getting every cop in the city involved... and maybe avoided a few of those traffic accidents...

Fun episode.

05:

La, la, la, la, la~

WUT TENSIONS, SUCH SUSPENSIONS, *GASP* *LE GASP* *FUCKING GASP*

But who cares about any of that, when Kei was in her bra and panties for the majority of this episode. That was the most important thing here obviously, hot.

Also, the animation felt really spot-on this episode, they conveyed the threat of that big ass munster really well.

Last edited:
Episode 5:

Poor Kei, so thirsty. Also, apparently she doesn't believe in the spirit of bros before hoes. Kei just dips on Yuri in a spooky garbage dump. It's actually pretty dickish.

The episode is a little sci-fi horror mystery. It's nothing complicated and the actual mystery part gets solved in a small exposition dump, but it's still got a nice atmosphere. I agree with @gensan that more care was put into the animation for this episode. Especially in the second half when they get to the abandoned station. It was nice to hear the spacey synth again, but something new would have probably been better.

At least Nonmo got to shine this episode even if he did it by self destructing.

Episode 5
"My man has the sense to appreciate this, so you should too, Yuri." Unstated: "I am trying out some mood-setting stuff on you." Man, the dialogue really is full of gay subtext. I don't know if it was on purpose or not, but it's pretty clear that Kei and Yuri are banging on a regular basis. Despite Kei being a colossal asshole and leaving Yuri on an exploded garbage dump planet because she is in that much of a hurry to get some dick. I have to agree with Yuri, though, Bobbit Huey fucking sucks. It's such saccharine crap.

My only complaint about this episode is that Kei should have had a darker colour on her bra and pantsu. Quality plot, though. Everyone take note, especially Highschool of the Dead.

Episode 5:
Hey I'm still on-time somehow =D

For a bit there I thought we were somehow getting the revenge of Brian XD But nope, it's actually some dead dude we've never heard of.

Aww, Nomo's a good bot! Too bad for now he's... No mo'! *rimshot* I'm sorry

Holy shit Kei, what kind of bazooka dong is this dude packing that it's all you can think about even as you're about to maybe die?

Episode 6:

I wonder how much Kei pays to get customized pink smoke grenades.

Kei's date must not have went very well. She's raring for a fight with some space pirates. It was pretty cool watching her and Mughi just beat the ass off an entire ship of pirates like it was nothing. My favorite part was the space pirates actually dressed like sailors.

Something new, but completely unsurprising we learn this episode is Kei used to be a delinquent. Her floppy haired childhood friend was a real tool. I can see why she'd blow him up with no remorse. Then again, she still has some fondness for him because she says something like that wouldn't really kill him. It makes them seem like old rivals more than anything. Probably close to it because even though she clearly has no interest in him, he's still all over her with the sexual remarks.

It was a good chase episode. What I like most is the Dirty Pair sore a complete victory here. Not only do they evade the pirates and protect their cargo, but they get the better of their boss too. They score themselves a bonus and sweet vacation. There was some trickery going on with the mission and boss man didn't do a great job of pretending to be shocked at the Angel's explanation. Glad they got something good for once.

Episode 6
Kei wants to bang an entire crew of space pirates into submission. Her thirst has no end, has it?

Speaking of the space pirates: they all wear striped t-shirts and have rackets laying around. And they wear visors! It's like they're about to hang out on the beach. Of course, the commander wears a pink and yellow jumpsuit Parisian nightsuit to differentiate himself from his crew. It's an article of clothing that makes him look very authoritarian, indeed. It matches his ship colours perfectly!

Kei being a delinquent in her even younger days (I think the Lovely Angels graduated university at age 12 in the light novels, so she probably had lots of time to be a no-gooder before she started working for 3WA) just makes me think of her in one of those long-ass skirt schoolgirl delinquent fashions, and it was too cool to contemplate. Fetch my fainting couch, please.

And, as always, Mughi continues to be rad, and stuff blows up. Kinda odd that this isn't my favourite anime programme, actually. Them blackmailing their boss is just too fucking weird for words. I fucking love it. Truly a pair of grifters to emulate in every aspect.

Tomorrow's episode is probably the most controversial one on Anitwitter. Look forward to it warmly!

Back