Dirty Pair

13:

iLTOaZM.jpg

If my experience with anime is anything to go by then it's entertaining at first, but slowly loses its entertainment value over time.

Right an episode inspired by the 80s urban legend in New York. People would flush baby alligators down the toilet and the rumor started going around that NY's sewers were full of pissed off alligators. Replace alligators with slugs from Lovecraft, add in a bunch of nerdy references to other monster movies and you've got yourself a pretty good homage episode.

The section chief guy turns out to just be a big tsundere as he really does want the Dirty Pair to slay his beast, but he can't admit it.

Also, this:
gt4SrYE.jpg

Episode 13
Kei refuses to not smell like offal, but at least she has Yuri as a back-up when no dude wants to bang her and her lazy ass. Why wipe your ass, you're just gonna poop later on? That is the logic of bad people, Kei.

Sewer stuff! Yay! The fertile ground on which the multimedia phenomenon known as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (rebranded as Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles for a while after a ninja scare) was built on. A soggy, wet, tepid, foetid ground. Full of squamous, eldritch, gibbering ones lurking in its stygian, cyclopean mazes. Yes, I found an article listing the most common words in Lovecraft's works. You lot should be ashamed for not incorporating these into your regular vocabularies. Except for the racist words, I guess.

Kei would not be fit to work in customer support, though I would like to see it, even so. Slapping the everloving crap out of everyone with a grievance she deems not real. Dunno if she has time for that, though, since she has to take care of her own fluff and Mughi's. That's a lot of floof.

I watched 9 and 10 earlier but I decided to wait to post because I would have more time now.
That slap fight was great. Also sure Kei, just shout out loud your plan in your ugly room, the guy didn't even need to be in the ceiling, he could've just been guarding outside and hear you. You looked like a bad ass when buying food though-oh, there goes the planet. Everyone is dead. They really are rough and dirty.
Good one mentioning how they're always climbing and falling it and jinxing it. I feel everyone's terrible at shooting except them and that one dude with high IQ. Apparently everyone else shoots off target, they don't even gotta zigzag. The meta in this world and sci-fi is to never zigzag because you'd get hit that way.
Apparently running is the first thing they think of, then they think of their IDs or codes. It's been what, two times? Cops are shooting cars that aren't moving. Man no one knows how to shoot in the future, why are they even still using weapons. Why are they even using that many tanks, or tanks at all. Is this just a local army?
It's almost as good as Yuri beating a kid for doing... actually nothing.
Are you kidding? Those spawns are evil! They can't even recognize the Lovely Angels when they're big fans! They were clearly playing dumb, their ship is RIGHT THERE! What would they be watching?! I'll tell you what they be watching! That pervert kid was lifting up her skirt and he got smacked in the face like he should've. It was an expensive (maybe?) and now wet dress so it's weird how easy it was for the kid to do that that fast but you don't attempt that anyway! And the girl bite Kei so hard, it sounded like she was the little girl! And then this kid stays on the ship and makes them go to an electrified prison (that was pretty good) AND almost lose their super cool date with their boss! Wait their boss? Oh. Hey I bet it was super cool anyway! Better than going out on a date with clearly nobodies. These kids did nothing but trouble!

Oh and apparently that hairstyle they rock is just common enough to be used by another pair? Okay.
So I guess that mouse just jumped off. That was rough. That flea switch play was pretty high IQ and apparently mice suck at shooting too. Who would've known. I mean machines miss too so it's obviously not IQ dependent.

Points for keeping the different outfits going, my favorites are still probably in the wild west episode.

14:

I'm really not super big on this episode tbh, it's one of my least favorites with episode 10. It has some good moments though, but it kind of feels like a bit of a mess and doesn't come together all that well for me. I actually like the idea of mindfuckery, but I think this episode overall needed some better execution.

Not outright terrible, just not really great though by dirty pair standards.

Last edited:
cyclopean mazes. Yes, I found an article listing the most common words in Lovecraft's works. You lot should be ashamed for not incorporating these into your regular vocabularies. Except for the racist words, I guess.

Yeah I always forget Lovecraft himself was a rather racist and sexist guy actually, which is rather unfortunate.

Episode 14:

The most disappointing thing about this episode is learning that Kei is the type to welsh on a bet. Kei's a real wimp this episode. She can't even handle losing a rather minor amount of money is what I assume is some kind of underground mahjong game.

Chef Fumanchu is back and probably more of a racist stereotype this time. This along with the big lipped black dude in Kei's soap opera reminds me that there's no escape from Japan's casual racism at the time. It's just weird to see considering the show is woke enough to see transgenders as something accepted and normal in the future.

Once again we see the future is paved by assholes. It's bad enough when political debates take over the TV. It's even worse when it is every station and they tease you by playing it over top of the programming you want to watch so that you can see just a bit of your show in the background. There's no freedom in the future where I have to be an educated voter forced to watch dumb debates to make informed decisions.

If they keep getting pay raises Kei and Yuri are going to own 3WA by the time the series ends. That is if Chef Fumanchu didn't machete them to death in the end.

Episode 14:

The most disappointing thing about this episode is learning that Kei is the type to welsh on a bet. Kei's a real wimp this episode. She can't even handle losing a rather minor amount of money is what I assume is some kind of underground mahjong game.

Chef Fumanchu is back and probably more of a racist stereotype this time. This along with the big lipped black dude in Kei's soap opera reminds me that there's no escape from Japan's casual racism at the time. It's just weird to see considering the show is woke enough to see transgenders as something accepted and normal in the future.

It is pretty jarringly odd actually, and to be honest he also spoils things for me a bit as it's so on the nose with that. I really could have done without him and not seeing him again.

Last edited:
Episode 13:

Hell yeah, score one for the sewer guys, even if their chief was a real ass and a half. No buildings were damaged in the making of this episode, but a few working-class folks had to die to make it happen.

This might have been one of the Lovely Angels' most dangerous missions yet. Makes me think what'll happen once a plan fucks up and these two get separated without expecting it. Really cool none of them pulled a self-sacrificial "you go on ahead, partner, I'll take care of things here!" even if my treacherous shipper heart was looking out for such a moment with wide, anticipating eyes.

And I can't be the only one who thinks these episodes are steadily getting gayer and gayer. Yuri totally made them sit down there - for what, minutes? Hours? - just to spend a little alone time with Kei, change my mind.

The show can get gayer, but it will never run out of really good shots like:

2QgAy.jpg

This one is really nice. Kinda freaky that the waves look like hands, but that might be me over-interpreting things again.

Right an episode inspired by the 80s urban legend in New York. People would flush baby alligators down the toilet and the rumor started going around that NY's sewers were full of pissed off alligators. Replace alligators with slugs from Lovecraft, add in a bunch of nerdy references to other monster movies and you've got yourself a pretty good homage episode.

the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (rebranded as Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles for a while after a ninja scare)

uh-oh-gif-6.gif

Shit, what! That's really cool. And here I thought I was already so sharp for picking up on Lovecraft so quickly.

2QgAz.jpg

2QgAB.jpg

This sounds like something someone would graffiti.

2QgAD.jpg

Yuri makes some of the best faces in this series, I swear.

2QgAC.jpg

Now, Kei, tell your partner she smells good... goddammit, Kei.

2QgAE.jpg

Is it just me or is she leaning in just a little too close?

15:

INDIANA JONES PEOPLE! *Starts humming theme song*

Dun na na, na na na na. That whack a mole pillar popping sequence was truly majestic tho, like some kind of funky dance yo, and they got all the trap cliches rolled into one here as well. Pit, water, spikes, and descending roof, everything, you name it folks. That is what I call a quality trap.

The end of the episode is like, THE TRUE TREASURE WAS FRENDSHIP ALL ALONG! But it turns out it was all actually a ruse by him, and gramps pulled the wool over their eyes. The dirty pair get outsmarted by a minor character for once hahaha. I like it and it's a nice touch.

Just a solidly good fun episode.

Last edited:
I post here sometimes

Simply the best episode. The only one so far that I've really liked, just because of how pure fun it was without much stupid. This is the one I'd recommend to someone, it's convoluted in a funny way, the progression is good, the idea is solid, and it's well executed. The western costumes are the best. That is all

You know those stories of people who their car gets turned off on the road, and everything goes dark and they hear weird noises, then they come out of it a few minutes later and a half hour has passed on the clock even though it felt like just a few minutes and they're in a totally different part of the road, like they were just transported somewhere? That was me with this episode. Because I feel like I lost 20 minutes and nothing happened.

That bordered on entertaining a few times but mostly it was just a bit irritating. Kids suck and the pacing was weird.

Episode 14:

2QkWD.jpg

"WE HAVE THE BIGGEST CRUSH ON YOU GUYS TEE-HEE"

Oof, the accidental racism is strong in this one. Par for the course if the show is as old as this one, but it's always a lot of cringe to see it actually happen.

Mouse Professor is actually pretty terrifying, no wonder 3WA keeps him so close to home. This is the man, after all, who dared to call a smarter-than-life mouse Chichi, so it's clear his morality knows no bounds.

I wondered what would happen when an unexpected Dirty Pair split-up happens and I got it just one episode later. Nothing like a good debt to bring partners together, huh? Although I'm surprised Kei didn't think to capitalize on a loophole there. She could have easily claimed the Carmen Sandiego cosplayer was there to assassinate the Presidential candidate's character, which would have meant she technically won the bet.

Once again we see the future is paved by assholes. It's bad enough when political debates take over the TV. It's even worse when it is every station and they tease you by playing it over top of the programming you want to watch so that you can see just a bit of your show in the background. There's no freedom in the future where I have to be an educated voter forced to watch dumb debates to make informed decisions.

Bruh, same. And I thought having all the programs get replaced by the debates on all of the channels was worse.

Episode 15:

2QkWG.jpg

what the heck is Nanmo on about, garlic is boss

Me the whole episode: please don't let gramps be a pervert please don't let gramps be a pervert please don't let gramps

A slower-paced episode this time and one I'm not such a hot fan of. Old men in old shows like this one are all the same - intentionally oblivious, incredibly annoying, and irredeemably single. It's like anime directors saw Yoda once and then tried to recreate him from memory, only this time with a stronger libido. At least Gramps' saving grace here is that he isn't obvious about his perversions, even if he really likes to lay his garlic on thick.

:lenny:

Love the Indiana Jones vibe to it and even if things were slow going, it was semi-worth it if only to hear Yuri scream like a kid, like a kid going on the roller coaster for the first time ever. Really enjoyed her killer fly-swatting technique back there... I really enjoyed her whole romp into the highly-advanced ancient tomb, now that I think about it, especially since she pulled faces like this one:

2QkWU.jpg

That boy Stephan is such a player, the Lovely Angels really are peerless when it comes to the fine art of negotiation, and darling Clementine should really know better than to hire those suited lackeys. Shouldn't they be known for being complete failures by now?

Hey, but at least Kei got to bump her nose into Yuri's butt that one time so I guess it all works out anyway, huh?

15:

These two might pretend they want to lounge by the pool flirting with some lame douche named Stephan, but as soon as a stinky garlic grandpa comes around with an adventure they're off and running. They don't even care that stinky garlic grandpa swindled them in the end, because he did it with class and style. Kei and Yuri would be lost without their job and each other.

Gotta admit that gramps had moves even if he has a weakness for pretty young ladies that could his granddaughters. I thought he was fun. He was trolling the entire time and didn't fit a lot of the stereotypes that @Franconator mentioned.

The temple was a fun little adventure with all its classic traps mixed in with futuristic technology. Plus playing three player wack a pillar is really the only way any of these temple doors should ever be opened.

Good show.

Episode 16:

zD1x510.jpg

oDMqJlq.jpg

OdSaOEC.jpg

Production values were at a nadir this episode. Almost none of the action was animated and the backgrounds were a mess.

That sniper sucked balls. Yuri was just as accurate with a little pistol. The chase just wasn't a lot of fun this time around.

The future arcade was retro sci-fi charm. I'd hang out at a swag establishment like that especially if it is only 1 credit for a half hour of play.

Kei gets to see a little of how the other half lives, but for like thirty seconds of screen time. The whole speech about them having to work their asses off while others have everything handed to them rings hollow when they're getting a bonus or vacation every other episode.

Nothing in this episode really gets much time to stick. The naive sheltered executive barely gets any screen time. She's not particularly cute or interesting. The generic big business villain just sits around with his scheming face on. Kei finding out that the pampered executive life does lead to any good comedy or add up to anything. It's just a lot of shitty art that adds up to nothing.

Easily the worst episode so far.

Episode 14
Kei in a red pyjamas is all kinds of love, but man, you don't get any woke points for interracial marriage proposals in your anime with horrible stereotypes. Macross did it better!

They must have some hell of an overtime pay if it can cover five million credits. No wonder they're in an uproar. And no wonder Gooley is pissed, if they apparently partied away about that sum and claimed it on their expense accounts. Sheesh, they really are horrible with money.

Gessy is back, but maybe he is more ethically restrained this time? Solrta, but not by much, as it turns out.

Chan the racist caricature chef is also back, and of course he runs an illegal mahjong gambling ring. What a shitty way to find the body of a 3WA member.

Yuri blowing shit up was the only really good part.

A meh episode.

Episode 15
Raiders of the Lost Lucky Luke cosplayer: I know Lucky Luke is a white-hat but the old man reminded me of him so I wanted to make that reference, part 1 out of 1

Damn, that old man got moves. He kept up with the Dirty Pair, and delivered a fuckton of roses to them, just like that easily knocked out nerd Stephan claimed to be able to do.

A much better episode.

Last edited:
16:

I'm not really a big fan of the whole clueless naive rich person trope so it was a bit grating honestly. At least there were hunky biker dudes, but overall pretty meh. There's no good payoff to this episode.

Ah well, you can't win'em all in episodic programming and at least it can always bounce back from a swing and a miss.

Back