Death Note

I've dropped it on ep 5, when he
killed 12 agents (because one of them was ... tailing him...)
without even batting an eye, after 4 episodes of bullshit talk about creating his utopia.
Ep 1-4 "I want to create a just utopia, therefore I will kill only bad people."
Ep 5 "Hmm, one of the FBI agents is tailing me when I go out, so I will kill all of them, because I can."

without even batting an eye, after 4 episodes of bullshit talk about creating his utopia.
Ep 5 "Hmm, one of the FBI agents is tailing me when I go out, so I will kill all of them, because I can."
I mean, that's kind of the idea with his character, so you're definitely missing the point. His moral framework is one where he places himself at the center, even declares himself "God of the new world" at the end of the first episode. There's a ton of biblical imagery in the OP for a good reason. From his perspective, anyone who acts against his interests as the world's saviour, is therefore acting against the good of the world (in his idealized view) and must be purged along all the murderers and rapists. The more you watch, the more you'll realize that the only people he comes into contact with are the ones with utility he can exploit and toss aside when they're no longer useful, or people that he would kill but for whatever reason can't yet. Not very heroic.

I guess killing loads of people, even bad ones, with a method as indirect and easy as writing their names down tends to lessen the weight of human life I suppose.

Last edited:
I know many people couldn't finish this anime halfway through
because things happen and it changes the hype,

I know, i felt it too

but just watch it anyways, it might change your views in the anime, but its still decently good

So far I've been enjoying the anime, but I haven't watched it in a long time. I also saw the Netflix Official, and ngl, that was good

watched the Netflix Adaption 1st then realized that it was from manga. lol at that time as I think netflix is the real one. damn its truly different as I watch the anime was very good.

SPOILERS AHEAD

right so, i know people tend to dislike the series after
L dies
but I actually loved death note from start to finish and here's why.

this event is really important in light's character development because it cements his ideal that he's a god who is unable to be defeated. up until this point he's had a deep rooted uncertainty that he could really win. L threatened his entire operation. and thus his triumph here makes light feel invincible. the fact that plan is carried out so smoothly makes him think that all of his future plans will - L's defeat becomes a metaphor for light finally becoming god. this idea becomes dangerous, and his superiority complex reaches its peak. he has won the battle.

but it's L himself who says 'you've won the battle, but not the war'. light foolishly makes an antagonist of L and forgets that there are other people who will oppose him too. he thinks of everyone around him as fools, but moreso once this events take place, which is the reason for his downfall. to him, defeating L is all he needs to become a god. he forgets the bigger picture.

thus the event fits perfectly into the narrative, especially because by this episode L's own character development has been concluded. by removing the character we see as the hero, we too are tricked into thinking light has won. we believe that he's invincible because light's main 'antagonist' has been defeated. however, then near and mello appear.

the show takes on a new meaning after their arrival. it suggests that light will always be challenged - defeating one person is not enough. however, he foolishly thinks of near and mello as less intelligent than L. he thinks beating them will be just as easy. it's this sense of superiority that's his weakness.

similarly, he thinks mikami will not challenge him, because misa never did. he manipulated her to always do everything he asked, but he was never able to do the same to mikami, and it's this belief too that sabotages light's perfect ending. I believe that L knew he wouldn't defeat light alone. he couldn't. but he also knew that eventually, light would be cornered by his own weaknesses.

i really think this show is a masterpiece tbh and i loved it from start to finish :)

Why cant i watch it? It doesn’t even show the anime it just shows recommendations and no episodes for it pls help me

why does this anime even showup if i cant watch it.

There are many anime on here that you can't watch through this site. Anime Planet, like MAL, is primarily here for you to track your shows. Anime Planet has some select shows that it can get permission from a legal streaming service, like Crunchyroll or HIDIVE, to watch here instead like you mentioned. If you'd like to find anime that you can watch here, be sure to click the "watch online" button when you search for shows. :)

I just rewatched this anime for the first time in 5 nearly 6 years and it made me sadder than it did when I first watched it. I’m on the end credits right now and I’m fighting back tears

I'm gonna give my two cents' worth

Death Note is definitely one of my favorite anime. The utter brilliance of the premise in the first place is amazing, a notebook that kills people and having it executed in such a complex way. Light Yagami is the morally grey protagonist, who happens to be a dangerous genius as well, meets his match with another genius under the name L. Their rivalry is simply unmatched, the constant tension that was present as these two butt heads. But then, L died. And we get introduced to Near. Who, in my opinion, is the worse character of the show. They killed off a character that they built up during the series, we were so invested in their attempts to outwit the other, but that is fine. Dramatic deaths normally should make a show better. But taking Near, a practically carbon copy of L, and introducing him to be the one finally defeating Light is ridiculous.

We hold no emotional investment in him as a character nor have we seen anything to match the level of the rivalry of L and Light. If they had to introduce someone else to match Light after L died, I would’ve wished it to be Mello. His personality is significantly different from L, we have clearly seen he is a character of his own. Near possesses way too much for L’s traits that it’s sorely obvious of the similarities. We see that Mello inherited L’s love for sweets, fine. But then we have Near who has the same posture, personality, and just physical look overall. The final arc was the worse.

Misa is definitely an underrated character who gets a bit too much hate in my opinion. People dislike her for being clingy for Light, but to be fair, he purposely manipulated her to use her. Misa is also smarter than people want to give her credit for, how she tracked down Light in the first place was pretty smart, albeit not near the level of L and Light’s plans. He had used her (and others) as mere tools, abandoning them whenever he didn’t need them, this clearly bit him back in the end when he called the names of those he had abandoned - instead of viewing them as equals, he discarded them and therefore when he needed help the most, no one was there to save him.

Maybe u didn't understand why he killed every fbi agent.. it isn't because he can. It is because if he kill just 1 who is traking him,then this will confirm that The guy whom that FBI agent Tracking is KIRA so he killed every FBI agent

PAAART 1

It started with Light Yagami getting bored and fed up with the society where there is a lot of crime and injustice.Light was an intelligent, smart high school student. The appearance of Death-note that was sent by Ryuk( a shinigami) who got bored in his Shinigami realm was a life changer for him. So, basically, he can kill anyone whose real name and face is known. All they got to do is write the real name of the victim and memorise their face and the victim will die (cause-heart attack; if the way of death is written within 30 seconds they will die accordingly) So as Light was bored with the criminal society he will kill off so many criminals using the death note; in motive for a better world( even tho he wants to be the god for that better world; we wouldn't mind his greed because we will fall for him from the very beginning). So, as the death of so many criminals is becoming suspicious; he will create a identity with the name KIRA. As for the world, Kira is a killer(yes, LIGHT IS A KILLER). So the investigation agent will arrange a team to find KIRA. Light's father, Yagami, is a police investigator head; not in the KIRA finder team(that's how he got information about so many criminals). The mood of the storyline changes with the appearance of Ryuk; the shinigami. So, as the investigation team is becoming a nuisence to KIRA; Light will kill all the investigators. This is the beginning of the real Death note anime. He kills 20 innocent investigation officers for KIRA's safety.

I remember how I used to ignore the fact of his wrongdoing and fantasised about him)

Does anyone wanna tell my why "Truck kun" is listed as a minor character? Sense when are trucks considered characters outside of the Transformers universe. Better question: Is it the truck that Mello uses to kidnap Naomi Misora, or is it just a random truck?

Back