Death Note

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here, went back a page or two couldn't find it so I'll ask:

how accepted is the theory that Light became a shinigami after dying? Iirc it was a DVD special scene that implied so, and the notebook itself state that people who use it can't go to hell or heaven

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here, went back a page or two couldn't find it so I'll ask:

how accepted is the theory that Light became a shinigami after dying? Iirc it was a DVD special scene that implied so, and the notebook itself state that people who use it can't go to hell or heaven
Normally the answer to that is divided by if you like Light or L.
In my experience people that like Light are way more likely to accept that theory, because that's how he still kinda wins in the end. And in return people who dislike Light or like L are more disapproving of that theory for that same reason, because they don't want to see Light succeed in such a way.
Of course just a general trend, not everyone.

Ep. 9-12:
I'm definitely not bored or anything, because the story and characters and everything is still great, but it's not as rewarding as watching it for the first time, when you know all the plot twists and plans and big reveals (and I still pretty much remember everything, even after all these years, which only shows how much on an inpact this anime had on me). You know, like there's no ... "added value", if I can call it that. Like in terms of dropping hints and foreshadowing, new things to notice while rewatching it - there isn't really anything. All you notice are the flaws you didn't see the first time around, because you were busy having your mind blown.
I keep trying to find mistakes in L's logic, but there aren't any. The way he deduces stuff simply is logical. It does make sense, and it's great. On the other hand, Light is struggling so much. And that's also great. L is playing him so hard it's really entertaining to watch.
Oh, right, I was supposed to talk about the stuff I don't like.
Ok, so, here we go - enter Misa. I remember I actually used to like her in the first few episodes she was in, until she became Light's pet. Watching it now, I don't like or hate her, but I think she's an interesting character. She makes mistakes, but she's not utterly dumb (like she will be starting from the next episode, when her only defing character trait will become her obsession with Light). She's fascinated with Kira from the very beginning, but it's very mild (compared to what's coming), and, honestly, who wouldn't be in her situation? It's a shame it didn't last.

Ep. 13-16:
Goodbye, interesting, at least slightly likable Misa. Hello, braindead bimbo with the worst character motivation in the history of anime. I might actually have to add her to my hated list after all. Example A of shitty writing. If she was obsessive over Light, but at least had SOME sort of personality it would still probably be bad, but this is just ridiculus.
"Light this. Light that. From now on I'll do only what Light wants me to do. Date. Date. Must. Obey. Light."
Ugh.
And Light couldn't be any gayer if he tried.
I completely forgot about Takada going to college with him. And I even forgot her name. I just remember her as "Misa 2" or "brunette Misa".
At least I still like Rem. Too bad the only reason she's interesting, not obsessed with Light, and not dead within 2 minutes on the screen is because her gender is debatable.
Episode 25 is quickly approaching and I'm not ready. I'll never be ready.

Ep. 17-20:
Ah, yes. The yakuza arc. The weird one. The new HQ. The new useless characters. The newly added cheesy jokes. Misa's increasing stupidity. The chain. Light without memories. The complete change of the mood. The cringe of Light/L/Misa scenes. The constant fights. And the deathflags. So many deathflags. I'm not fucking ready.
And the new opening. I remember I hated it so much. I always skipped it. I liked the ending, though. Now, I neither hate it nor like it. But it definitely doesn't fit in. At least at this point. But it's nice to see everyone that's going to appear soon. Like Mikami. I liked Mikami. I'm going to hate him this time around, aren't I? :D

Last edited:
Ep. 21-24:
I know I set out to list the things I don't like, but fuuuuuuuuck. There is absolutely nothing bad I can write about these episodes. The plan to capture Higuchi! The chase! The thrill! The amazeballs fucking soundtrack! The chills! The scene where Light regains his memories! Asdfghjkl!!

6lznAys.gif

Oh, and I completely forgot about the keikaku quote, so it caught me by surprise, and I had to pause, because I was laughing so hard. :DDD

So, uh, yeah, this is where the series ends, right? There are no more episodes after this, right? Everyone is happy, Light and L remain friends, everything is great ... right? Right? *nervous laughter turns into a desperate one*

Ep. 21-24:
I know I set out to list the things I don't like, but fuuuuuuuuck. There is absolutely nothing bad I can write about these episodes. The plan to capture Higuchi! The chase! The thrill! The amazeballs fucking soundtrack! The chills! The scene where Light regains his memories! Asdfghjkl!!

6lznAys.gif

Oh, and I completely forgot about the keikaku quote, so it caught me by surprise, and I had to pause, because I was laughing so hard. :DDD

So, uh, yeah, this is where the series ends, right? There are no more episodes after this, right? Everyone is happy, Light and L remain friends, everything is great ... right? Right? *nervous laughter turns into a desperate one*

I love how everything gets close to the end of the first half and then gets wary about the second half. Despite how "bad" it is, I think the second half is written well enough for some characters. Not all of course...

Ep. 25-28:
0z7ee.gif

My eyes hurt, too. I knew it was coming, but I still cried like a little bitch. The whole episode was so horribly depressing. It was completely different from the rest. I forgot about Misa's song, and I forgot about L smiling in the rain. And the foot-rub scene was even more awkward than I recall.

The next few episodes ... nyyyye ... meh. I don't understand why you'd kill L only to have him replaced by L's copies, but I suppose everyone is asking that question. They could have resolved everything the same way with L, and they'd save 10 episodes/I don't know how many chapters. The new characters are not interesting, and the pacing feels rushed. Also, Misa is being bullied by Light, and everyone is omnipotent. I really don't want to lower the rating, but I may have to in the end. I only remember the important parts of the story from now on, but there really wasn't that much of it, so I have a lot of "new" material to watch, I suppose. Welp, two more days. I can handle that. Then I'll have to watch something happy and cute for a change of mood.

Ep. 29-32:
Sakujo sakujo sakujo SAKUJOOO!
Say whatever you want, but Mikami is definitely the most interesting character of the new bunch. Unlike Bimbo number 2. Again, why do you dispose of Misa, only to have her replaced by the exact same character who has the exact same relationship with Light? I still don't hate neither Near nor Mello, so that's good I suppose.
I can't say I'm bored, but the plot feels all over the place. And it's somehow both rushed and slow at the same time. It's hard to put into words, but it just feels off. Completely off.
And I have a question - why was Sayu in the wheelchair?
I really like the new themes of the soundtrack. And I can't believe it, but the opening is actually growing on me.

Ep. 33-37:
As "wasted" as the 10 episodes after L's death were, the last 2 absolutely make up for it. The intensity of the moment, the soundtrack, the incredible performance by Miyano Mamoru, the flashback part where he passes his younger self. It's just so incredibly well done. In some ways it's better than in the manga (Light's last escape, Ryuk's monologue...), in some ways it's worse (Mikami killing himself with the pen instead of hanging himself in the prison, Misa jumping from that building instead of living on without Light...). And again, I can't help but feel the most sorry for Mikami, because in the end, he was the one who got royally fucked the worst. And again, I couldn't stop the tears, but I didn't really cry, not like the first time I've watched it, but even then I didn't really like Light, so now that I think about it, I might have cried so hard back then mostly because the series was over. :D
Fuck it. I'm keeping this at 10/10.
I most likely would have given it a 9/10 or maybe even a 8/10, if this was the first time I've watched it, but nah, I won't lower it.

Ep. 33-37:
And again, I can't help but feel the most sorry for Mikami, because in the end, he was the one who got royally fucked the worst.

His own fault, though. If he'd just followed Light's orders everything would have went according to plan. That's one of the things I like about the ending though. All those times I want to complain that Light's plans would only work if everyone acted exactly the way he predicted, but then in the end that's why he loses. Mikami ends up doing something unnecessary thinking he's helping and it complete throws Light's plan into the shitter. Light is such irredeemable scum by that point that it's good to see him brought down by his own arrogance.

I prefer the manga because the anime gave Light a little dignity in Death. The manga doesn't spare him any final humiliation.

His own fault, though. If he'd just followed Light's orders everything would have went according to plan. That's one of the things I like about the ending though. All those times I want to complain that Light's plans would only work if everyone acted exactly the way he predicted, but then in the end that's why he loses. Mikami ends up doing something unnecessary thinking he's helping and it complete throws Light's plan into the shitter. Light is such irredeemable scum by that point that it's good to see him brought down by his own arrogance.
I meant it more in the way that he truly believed Kira/Light was God, and the slow realisation that he was just another scum, selfish person utterly shattered him. Everyone else who got fucked by Light knew who they were dealing with.
And Light made it quite clear that his hands were tied, so it was only logical for Mikami to help him with the Takada situation. He could have just kept a piece of the Note with him for emergencies, like Takada and Light have done, but he's not that kind of person. I doubt he could bring himself to tear off a page. Even the way he wrote the names of the people in the warehouse - very neatly at the very top of the page. Unlike Light, who just wrote the fake L's name across half the page.

And so starts my 2nd attempt at finishing Death Note. There is a sense of freedom when it comes to watching a series on my own without either one of my brothers. And since I've seen more of the anime, its been an enjoyable experience compared to the manga since there's voice acting and music. Although Light may be deplorable, I gotta respect his genius to get out of situations. That of course means more Death Note for another day!

The concept of Death Note is the part that initially piqued my interest. I know this is not a review, just a comment, but I am avoiding spoilers (thus I apologize for any extreme ambiguity in advance). The novelty of the concept (the 'death note') became boring just as much as the cat and mouse game taking place between the two main characters. Ultimately, the major and seemingly abrupt turn in the plot in which a particular character avoids capture by erasing his knowledge of his role in the events of the series finally pushed me to stall on the series and never look back. Besides, the main characters do not have likeable personalities anyway. Maybe someone can convince me to pick this back up and complete? No spoilers please.

The concept of Death Note is the part that initially piqued my interest. I know this is not a review, just a comment, but I am avoiding spoilers (thus I apologize for any extreme ambiguity in advance). The novelty of the concept (the 'death note') became boring just as much as the cat and mouse game taking place between the two main characters. Ultimately, the major and seemingly abrupt turn in the plot in which a particular character avoids capture by erasing his knowledge of his role in the events of the series finally pushed me to stall on the series and never look back. Besides, the main characters do not have likeable personalities anyway. Maybe someone can convince me to pick this back up and complete? No spoilers please.

I mean, the highest point of the series (for me) comes a couple episodes later, then it goes back down until it just feels that it ran out too long. This comes from someone who actually liked the characters of Light and L, mainly because I share a lot of Light's opinions, but if you didn't like it so far I can't say you'll like it if you keep watching.

It's just plain and simple that if you don't like the characters you won't like the anime but many of us are on the contrary opinion and I would say that there is a character for almost everyone when it comes to the moral philosophy of it.

I could understand more if you said that you were not a fan of Light's monologueing though you don't really cite that as a problem.

Last edited:
Back