Danganronpa 3 -The End of Hope's Peak Academy- Future Arc

V3 is a different continuity that only shares Monokuma to my understanding.
Oh, so that was the end... Pretty lame. V3 seems kind of pointless now.
CTiFKAn.jpg
Lol. I plan to when the PS4 collection comes out.

As far as I know the creators only confirmed that there wouldn't be any returning characters, not necessarily implying that the game takes place in a different universe or has a different continuity.

And it's also possible that they just straight up lied. Just saying, you never know with Danganronpa.

Oh, so that was the end... Pretty lame. V3 seems kind of pointless now.
There is a point. As in, y'know, making a good game 'n' stuff. As much as the ending to Danganronpa 3 blows, it makes no sense to continue any further. It's done. Anything more would be forced as fuck. Better to just clear the table and start fresh.

Super Danganronpa 2.5: Nagito Komaeda and the World Destroyer

To preface this, this doesn't really have too much to do with the actual events of SDR2 since it merely shows how Hajime rescued his friends at the end of Danganronpa 3.

Anyway since this turned out to mostly be a dream sequence, there was a number of rather fishy things going on here. It starts out by fooling you into thinking this is an episode of Despair arc, but then shows you fishy stuff like Naegi being a Chad Thundercock around Maizono, and Nagito shit talking talent. That and both Kuzuryuu and Souda being Nagito's friends when they never cared much for each other at school and actively hating his psychotic ass in the simulation.

The ending to Danganronpa 3 as a whole still sucks but this was a reasonable bridge to it, though it should have been a part of the actual series instead of a bundled gift to a game that doesn't even share the same continuity.

A shame we didn't get any wonderful Gundam moments though.

Hope Episode / Epilogue

I feel so conflicted about this thing.

On one hand, it's underwhelming as heck, and all of the SDR2 guys being alive is one of the biggest asspulls in the history of asspulls.

On the other hand, there was a plentiful helping of NANAMI FEELS in it that washed away a good part of the terrible taste left by Despair's tenth episode. I am glad that she is remembered by all, and as silly as it is if you think about it, the explanation for the origin of Nanami Chiaki as the virtual world's AI was lovely.

I can't be too mad about Kirigiri being alive, because I predicted everything about that, other than Mikan being the one to revive her. The foreshadowing was there, what with Kimura trying to revive the other guy with her drug at the beginning and Kirigiri getting to inspect Kimura's corpse before her bangle's condition ''killed'' her, so even though for a while I actually believed they had the balls to kill her off for good, this didn't come off as a surprise.

At the end of the day, I can't even decide whether I want to consider this whole Danganronpa 3 project canon or not - although officially it is, I know. The Future Arc was a ludicrous, popcorn entertainment, B-film tier piece of junk filled with characters I didn't give a shit about or at the best of cases felt pity for, and this conclusion episode for the entire storyline is as lazy as lazy gets, even though I couldn't manage to hate it because NANAMI FEELS are my one true weakness.

However, Despair wasn't a waste of time. It filled an incredibly relevant part of the franchise's backdrop that we'd only ever gotten small chunks of. It made Nanami into an even more important person for the SDR2 cast than she was in the game itself. It made me feel a lot, ranging from the most intense hatred - and hence fascination - I've felt for Enoshima Junko thus far, to crippling sadness for the really unfortunate outcome to everything.

I can't just reject a show that evokes genuine emotion from me, even if much of that relies on my having a prior appreciation for the characters via the videogame. Some parts were rushed, other bits were just absurd, and Sakakura might just be the most stupid character ever created in a Danganronpa-related product, but even with those shortcomings I couln't bring myself to hate the Despair Arc.

The one thing I can tell you is that I'm glad I'm done with this, though. It's about time to move on from this entire plot and look forward to the franchise reboot in Danganronpa V3. I still need to watch that Nagito OVA thing, but that's about it.

I enjoyed all arcs of Danganronpa 3. The ending to the series was satisfactory enough, but

If the game is to be taken at face value, all the previous games, mangas, light novels and animes were reality shows. Way to ruin a franchise just to create another twisty ending! Even if it should be considered a different universe, the events of previous games should have not been included in such a cheap way. Unpredictable is not always clever, or even good. Well, I guess it's water under the bridge, as this new "universe" seems unlikely to continue.

I enjoyed all arcs of Danganronpa 3. The ending to the series was satisfactory enough, but

If the game is to be taken at face value, all the previous games, mangas, light novels and animes were reality shows. Way to ruin a franchise just to create another twisty ending! Even if it should be considered a different universe, the events of previous games should have not been included in such a cheap way. Unpredictable is not always clever, or even good. Well, I guess it's water under the bridge, as this new "universe" seems unlikely to continue.
If you ask me, the original continuity did a perfectly good job of ruining itself.

Even if it should be considered a different universe, the events of previous games should have not been included in such a cheap way. Unpredictable is not always clever, or even good. Well, I guess it's water under the bridge, as this new "universe" seems unlikely to continue.

It hardly felt cheap considering how the whole game was written around the idea in retrospect. It did make it rather strange to go back and do the free-time events for the characters considering the backgrounds they have are completely fabricated

In any case, I went in expecting and wanting a new continuity considering the note finality the Hope's Peak story (not to mention how the game was marketed as a re-imagining) the DR3 anime left us with even though it was complete horse shit, so the idea of a meteor destroying the world that needed two games and 2 anime series to save felt cheap and arbitrary. The more I think about it, the happier I feel about how V3 spat in the face of this idea and the people who wanted to see the corpse of the Hope's Peak Saga bandied about on the streets once more.

Last edited:

V3 spoilers:
V3 didn't claim the beginnings of the franchise were reality shows. Everything from the Hope's Peak Academy Saga is considered fictional in V3. The game was a sort of meta jab at the fanbase who just wanted more Danganronpa and they took that idea and ran with it.

I do not think first two games and animes were written with reality show idea, either. In fact, while playing V3, I more or less knew that the plot with the meteor was fiction. It would be an even worse way of continuing the Hope's Peak saga. The only thing I liked about the twist was that it made the player reflect on enjoying a visual novel about the Killing Game, which forced the participants to murder each other.

Back