Attack on Titan 3rd Season: Part II

It could be worse, they could have sung them in dutch =P
Now part of me wants to hear them sung in proper German, not whatever Linked Horizon came up with lol (or at least the first two OPs, S2's OP onwards are mostly in Japanese... minus the English in Red Swan I guess). And I really want S2's ED to be sung in actual English that makes sense eventually. The lyrics are, uh, weird.

It's gonna take a lot for S2's OP (Shinzou wo Sasage yo!) to be topped, but I have faith in REVO (the dude who writes and sings for LH) since he's an actual SnK fan to deliver. Hell, I liked S3P1's ED quite a bit. His little hints to future manga things in his lyrics are brilliant.

This will be good. As far as the material of this arc goes, it's probably the most suitable for animated adaptation since the battle of Trost, which should speak volumes.

I am remarkably hyped.

Hype hype hype

I really like the ED

Overall, a pretty decent episode, we're getting a lot of action already.

Poor citizens of Shiganshina will have to look at this for eternity:
rsbQ3Jn.jpg

Another thing that's been bugging me - on s3 posters we have Mikasa and Eren standing at a shore (?) but I don't remember seeing Armin there. The fact that his dream keeps being brought up makes me think there's something bad in store for him (not to mention the post credits scene from the last episode - 49th)

Wouldn't him being armless affect his ability to keep up his balance while using ODM gear?

This is the first Linked Horizon OP that I'm less then impressed by. Music-wise it's just a deluge of rhythmless bombast with little cool down/build up and visually it cuts between too much stuff too quickly. The relatively tame OP for the first half of the season was even better than this. It's a real shame since we're getting into the climax of this whole saga that's been going on from the start. For me it's OP 3> OP 1> OP 2> OP4> OP 5.

Ep 1 (50):
BEST BOY IS HERE TO FUCK YOUR SHIT UP
poPWj4t.png

Also I really like the touch the anime made with having his eyes red. It's subtle but effective.

Armin "three cups" Arlert who? Erwin Smith who? I only care about Bigfoot throwing rocks.

As for the OP, it's not bad but I'm gonna wait for the full version before I judge it. They snuck a lot of sneaky frames in the OP sequence though. Making a couple of things kinda obvious but meh. Anyway,
WP6xh9W.png

I CANNOT WAIT

The ED is whatever but there was no need to hurt me with the dorm room scene. And potato being there made me laugh. That's all Sasha is, huh?

Ep 1
Excellent first episode, introducing not only the Lad Titan and the Cargo Titan, but also (in the preview), fan favourites Pointing At The Sky Titan and Run Like A Plane Titan

Reiner remains stronkest and tuffest man, very good boy, proper lad. What a dude!

This is the first "first" episode of any of the seasons that I've been impressed by. I was pretty much meh about Season 1, 2, and while S3 Part 1 was an improvement, it still wasn't much of one. Me liking this episode so much might just be because of the context though. Not a whole lot has really happened up until this point, it's been a lot of build up and finally it seems like we are going to get some pay off. I even went so far, after watching Season 1, to skim through the manga and spoil myself on some major events, just to try and hype myself up about continuing to watch the show. I just felt like nothing was happening. So, to see a high stakes battle to reclaim a wall with more than just fighting blobs of flesh. It's something to dig into.

That being said, the music was pretty impressive. I was okay with the OP, but the background music during the actual episode was what was extremely impressive. It really sold me on how intense the situation was. So much so that when all those titans transformed I was so surprised I cried out, "Oh shit!" I didn't expect them to legitimately have a whole army of people who could transform into titans at will like that. I jokingly said to @SkyOnAnime, "I'm not sure why they are so tense. It's not as though they are going to have to face a 1:1 army of humans to titans." I figured it would just be Beast Titan, Reiner, Bertholdt and some random, brainless titans they collected. That being said, I have a general idea of what happens during this battle, although nothing too specific. Most of what I looked at in the manga was after this.

Other than that, the art was noticeably better than any of the past seasons. So much so that I'm sort of even more salty about OPM2. Granted, I don't think AoT had that sense of "being rushed." They even went ahead and broke Season 3 into separate parts that are airing months apart. I know that AoT3 announced it would be "multiple" parts. I'm not sure how long this battle is, whether it will last all 12 episodes or not, so it's hard to speculate whether "multiple" parts is going to end up being 3+ or if they just meant they were making it 2 cour.

In regards to the actual episode; One of the weirder things that put me off was that Eren used the shell of his titan form to plug the hole. I thought he was going to seal it with the harden skin by like, layering it like bricks or something. I didn't expect him to literally crouch into the hole and leave the shell of his body in there. I'm not even sure if that would technically fill all the space? Other than that, I was glad to see Armin getting some involvement. He was one of the people I managed to like coming out of Season 1. Mostly because I was banking on him having the most potential for growth and character development. Seeing him piece together them being in the walls was nice, and hopefully he'll get a rather active role in this battle.

Daaamn. This first ep might be my favorite since the start of the first season. It even looks really nice. Something I've not felt with season 2 and 3 last year. Still tho, Eren, why u never getting over your emotional shait? Xp

well that started with a bang, quite literally! have to say, they carried it over well from the first half to the second bracket. you're going to expect more attack on titan chaos, but I have to admit that's one way of plugging the hole. and it appears just as one group evolves, it appears the titans have evolved slightly, and thanks to the fun but psycho (possibly sadistic) scientist, they are going to learn even more. hang in there and fight, fight, fight! also, it appears they are giving some of the side characters more center stage in this one, good to see, because they are underdogs as they say, but have proven themselves and I'm certain they can handle the weight, once they get past the notion of what they are up to. not everyone can take command and lead, some soldiers are better to follow than to lead, let's see if they can step up and lead and follow. can't wait to see where this one is going, hopefully they'll achieve what they've set out to achieve.

Ep. 1,
Reiner: Okay Eren, time to play hide and seek! What, you can't use Armin, that's cheating! Argh, screw you all! "proceeds to titanize"

On a serious note, and agreeing with everyone, they didn't waste any time getting into the story with this season and that's what makes it so awesome. That was some nice foreshadowing with Eren and Armin during the episode. And with that I eagerly wait for the basement plot point!

Well, that was epic!

That music sure got the heart pounding. Wowee. Awesome start.

All those lights... some of them are gonna need new pants.

Last edited:
Im expecting the next couple episodes to be boring story/plot filler after giving us a taste with this great first episode.

Back