Attack No. 1

Same.

That series was a lot of fun too from what little I've seen. A series with a thirsty tomboy for a main character is pretty much an instant sell for me.
The thirsty tomboy is the sole reason Attacker You is better than Attack No. 1. She doesn't take shit from anyone and just wants that D.

Although the amount of abuse from the trainer during the training was always baffling. I'm glad that times in Japan are over where that was acceptable.

Although the amount of abuse from the trainer during the training was always baffling. I'm glad that times in Japan are over where that was acceptable.

That honestly actually does seem to be a really common trend, with these old sport's shows. Hiromi in ace wo nerae, got the absolute fuck beaned out of her by tennis balls. So many balls to the face.

------
On another note, I'd be totally up for an Attacker You, buddy group, too bad, it's not fully subbed though, and it looks like it's going to take forever to get there.

Last edited:
That honestly actually does seem to be a really common trend, with these old sport's shows. Hiromi in ace no nerae, got the absolute fuck beaned out of her by tennis balls. So many balls to the face.

------
On another note, I'd be totally up for an Attacker You, buddy group, too bad, it's not fully subbed though, and it looks like it's going to take forever to get there.
You're right, especially Shoujo titles. It was somehow the rule that women have to suffer and get literally beaten up before they are to be taken seriously as sports-people. Or the trainer only accepts them after they got beaten into submission, depending on how you want to see it.
I don't remember a shounen show where that was the case. At least not on the fly. But maybe you know some examples.

I'm just happy that people are subbing older shows now. A few years ago you had the option to learn Japanese yourself or to fuck off.

And of course it wasn't just the girls who got it rough

nNJP8aL.gif

Guys, are you sure the whole show is subbed? I can't find subs past ep 55 (unldss ghere are dubs out there that cover the unsubbed eps)

Guys, are you sure the whole show is subbed? I can't find subs past ep 55 (unldss ghere are dubs out there that cover the unsubbed eps)
The subber currently releases 1 episode/week, so if you watch only 2 episodes/week it will fit. If I recall correctly there are only Italian and German dubs for it.

Episode 1

This is so dated. Those fucking dance moves though man, I just 100% wish I could move like that.

Everyone is a dick so far and I love it.

1-2

It's the classic "overdog" set-up before it's time, where an unknown stranger shows up in uncharted territories and winds up schooling everybody with their wealth of talent. Though in this case, Kozue has her unpolished friends to balance things out. Gotta love how none of these kids like to mince words. The dialogue drips with snark.

Episode 1

You know you're OP as fuck when they accidentally throw you a ball at full speed while you're looking elsewhere and you do a perfect reception in a split second.

Boy, this show is so dated I can't help but like it. It's not just the hand-drawn animation but their tendency to zoom-in to the character's face whenever someone say something important/dramatic, or those sound effects (in fact, if I were blind and I had to guess what's going on based by the sounds alone I'd think they are playing volleyball with a medicine ball.), and don't get me started on that "fight" scene.

That aside, I'm liking the plot so far too and most of the characters (except for the asshole teacher, but you can't get a 70/80s show without one). None of them are the usual girls you'd find in a shoujo manga/anime of that time (unless they are the villain) and the main char is so OP she pretty much gives less fucks than Ryo Asuka in Devilman about anything, be it volleyball, classes, or not being a dick to her classmates.

Btw, I love the OP

Episode 2

And people complained about the drama in Hanebado!

The volleyball club try to take Ayuhara down through underhanded means, but Ayuhara is too amazing for them. Ayuhara comes across way more sympathetic this episode, and we get to see more to the delinquent group than just a bunch of trouble making go go dancers.

Liking this so far.

3-4

Well fuck, they actually went ahead and did it, and with quite an obscene turn around too.

This new cunt though pretty much took the Dio approach of gaining influence by subtly making Kozue look bad. It seems like the club hasn't lost all their cattiness though since some of them actually buy all of the bullshit despite Kozue bringing the letter that bitch sent her to the gym.

Seriously though, the academy at the very least had a reputable sports program in the past so why the fuck would they force their volleyball team to practice outside?

5-6
It was pretty cathartic seeing Hayakawa crumble under pressure after all those scenes of her pretending her shit don't stink.

And now we've got our abusive coach that OP hints at. I was kind of surprised that the girls were willing to attribute their win to him. Didn't they just have one practice together?

Episode 2

So much melodrama...

...and I don't mind it one bit.

I like how they are fleshing out Kozue's friends instead of leaving them just as a bunch of nameless chars, and we got to learn more about Kozue, and that she seems to have a health condition that's not compatible with her doing sports. Never waiting for the result of a radiography was so tense (even if we already know she'll be 100% okay).

On a silly note, you know this is an old show when naming the chubby girl "Ooki" seems to be completely ok (TL Note: Ooki means big). A lot of people would lose their shit if this was done nowadays.

D-Double post!

Episode 3

As predictable the outcome was, it didn't hinder my enjoyment. Kozue was fully healed by the power of friendship volleyball, and the team managed to beat the volleyball club. I ahve to say the way Kozue motivated her teammates looked silly as fuck.

7-8

Pretty sure calling in a responsible staff member could've cleared the trespassers but whatever, the merger serves as an interesting impetus for a training arc, but the introduction of the Big 4 on to the team means likely less of a focus on the players Fujimi already had, which is too bad. I wouldn't mind seeing Chubbs get her chance to sparkle.

I wasn't aware that curve balls were a thing in volley ball given the minimal contact given to the ball when actually serving it.

Reactions: Zed
Episodes 01-02

Boy this did not age well, the story elements no longer hold up, and I almost find the over-dramatization to be hilarious when it's not nauseating. On the other hand I'm enjoying the music and the artstyle. It's okay, for now at least, I still struggling to remember the characters, since most of them look the same, and I only want to punch 7 of the characters I do remember.

Episodes 01-02

Boy this did not age well, the story elements no longer hold up, and I almost find the over-dramatization to be hilarious when it's not nauseating. On the other hand I'm enjoying the music and the artstyle. It's okay, for now at least, I still struggling to remember the characters, since most of them look the same, and I only want to punch 7 of the characters I do remember.

Boi, I was sitting here, chuckling to myself, thinking this was absolutely going to be a terrible watch for you. :laugh:

The 70s was all about highly melodramatic cheese, and if you don't like that kind of thing, then this never was going to be for you.

Back