Daily Anime Thoughts

DAT: I'm pleasantly surprised by how good the next season is shaping up to be, especially considering how little there was to watch during the last one. There's a lot of sequels to shows I liked (Honzuki, Kaguya-sama and others), and I'm currently trying to see what new shows are airing that I'll be watching. Are other people here also excited for the next season to start?

DAT:

Well they finally mentioned when the next part of Jojo part 6 is gonna drop:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...2nd-part-streams-on-netflix-this-fall/.184047

I really have to wait all the way till fucking FALL? Another 6 months, that is a long ass half year wait. I'm going to actually go insane. I already waited like 4 months for news thinking this was going to be a quarterly release and they pull this unbelievable bullshit on me.

FUCK YOU NETFLIX.
Good thing I haven't watched Stone Ocean yet, that's one hell of a wait...

DAT:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...und-panzer-no-game-no-life-more-anime/.183959

So, I get that this article is from Thursday, but I've only just noticed it, and I think that this situation kind of sucks. I'm currently in the middle of watching The Pet Girl of Sakurasou, and I really don't want to have to binge watch the series so that I can finish it before it gets taken off of Crunchyroll at the end of March. And I was also really keen on watching Golden Time, and Hozuki's Coolheadedness, but it looks like they'll be leaving too.

I wish that they'd given us more then a week's notice for this.

DAT: Just finished watching berserk and god that ending was one of the most fucked up endings I watched in a while.
I apologize to my friend who I told griffith reminds me of johan.
I am not sure which of the two is more disturbing now.

Now comes my worry, should I dive into the manga or stay safe where I am?

DAT: Just finished watching berserk and god that ending was one of the most fucked up endings I watched in a while.
I apologize to my friend who I told griffith reminds me of johan.
I am not sure which of the two is more disturbing now.

Now comes my worry, should I dive into the manga or stay safe where I am?

Going into the manga you already know it is incomplete and likely to never be completed. As long as you go in with the mindset that you're there for the journey rather than the destination, then there's still a lot of good dark fantasy for you to enjoy. The anime barely even scratches the surface of Berserk's world.

You're better off reading the manga than trying to watch the abominable CG monstrosities that were released a few years ago. They're poorly paced and do the manga's detailed artwork dirty.

I was looking through the lineup for the new season when I noticed this https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/oshiri-tantei is on its sixth season. It's such an utter tragedy that no one ever bothered subbing Talking Butthead Boy Detective.

I haven't looked too closely at what is coming out for next season. After a brief glance the ballet anime, Friendship Game and the iyashikei with the ghost girl stand out as things I might be interested in. Bubble too, but that's more because of who is involved with making it.

That anime about jockeys is going to get real weird when it crosses over with Pretty Derby. https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/fanfare-of-adolescence

The Yugi Oh knockoff's hair game looks to be on point. Who cares about card battles when they could have a dumbest hair contest instead? https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/shadowverse-flame

The reverse isekai looks like it could be fun. https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/ya-boy-kongming

Going into the manga you already know it is incomplete and likely to never be completed. As long as you go in with the mindset that you're there for the journey rather than the destination, then there's still a lot of good dark fantasy for you to enjoy. The anime barely even scratches the surface of Berserk's world.

You're better off reading the manga than trying to watch the abominable CG monstrosities that were released a few years ago. They're poorly paced and do the manga's detailed artwork dirty.
Hence, it took me this long to watch berserk since HxH was enough pain for me. Togashi just say its completed and end our misery However, I am the journey type of person so it should be okay to go for it. I am glad the world seems to expand more in the manga since the anime barely covered anything, it truly felt like Vinland S1.

Still Can't believe finally after more than a decade I actually finished berserk lmao.
Maybe I should pickup one piece from my dropped list but that still needs lots of courage...and...time

TBH, just read the manga for that too.

I was massively disappointed to find out that this https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/jantama-pong wasn't an anime based on Pong.
Ngl I have already read all spoilers for dark continent and the infamous hisoka vs yk whom fight over the past decade. I will just pretend the anime ending is the real ending for now.

I looked too at the spring season chart earlier today and I am not sure how I will manage to watch all of that. Everything looks tiny interesting enough to make me watch it.

https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/aharen-san-wa-hakarenai
I am tiny tiny tiny looking forward to this the most out of the unknown titles.

Ngl I have already read all spoilers for dark continent and the infamous hisoka vs yk whom fight over the past decade. I will just pretend the anime ending is the real ending for now.

I looked too at the spring season chart earlier today and I am not sure how I will manage to watch all of that. Everything looks tiny interesting enough to make me watch it.

https://www.anime-planet.com/anime/aharen-san-wa-hakarenai
I am tiny tiny tiny looking forward to this the most out of the unknown titles.

Spring is chock full of sports shows and good rom coms I'm a fan of, so it's perfecto to me as far as I'm concerned.

We all know the most popular show of the season is going to be Spy x Family. The anya facial expressions are so close, I can almost taste it. It is easily the show I'm looking forward to the most.

Last edited:
I haven't looked too closely at what is coming out for next season. After a brief glance the ballet anime, Friendship Game and the iyashikei with the ghost girl stand out as things I might be interested in. Bubble too, but that's more because of who is involved with making it.

I hope the ballet one is good, because Mappa bungled the last two sports shows I watched. Although the art style is kind of giving me Welcome to the Ballroom vibes with those body proportions which is a show I didn't dig very much.

I hope the ballet one is good, because Mappa bungled the last two sports shows I watched. Although the art style is kind of giving me Welcome to the Ballroom vibes with those body proportions which is a show I didn't dig very much.

I just wonder why the chose a cover where the two dudes look like they are contemplating a devil's threesome with an unconscious chick. Especially when this image would be way more swag.

WzWmwfb.jpg

Yo, girl, get off my tie or I am going to axe kick you into next week.

Watching LotGH was such a weird experience for me. I was going along well, practically flying by with how many episodes I watched in the time I was watching, and then

Yang dies, and I instantly lose all interest in the show. Seriously, without Yang the show basically just died for me. Reinhard does not work as the sole protagonist, and I hate how he basically just wins the whole war once Yang is killed, and Reinhard wasn't even responsible for Yang dying.

It retroactively made the whole show feel like a waste of time. I wouldn't even have minded if Yang had died if it was the end of the show or something, but I wasn't going to watch over two dozen episodes of the show without Yang

Honestly, if the new version of the show changed that plot point, I'd probably watch it because I liked a lot about the original series until then. But, I guess watching UC Timeline Gundam gives me some of what I liked in LotGH, with the (welcome) addition of cool mechs and less "tell, don't show" when it comes to the space battles.
It's definitely a controversial choice

Personally, I think it's a very important choice to LoGH that Yang dies, and dies for what kind of... pointless reasons, because that's how war works. The loss of meaningful human life over profoundly upsetting reasons. I think, for example, a lot of shows want us to know 'war is bad' by killing off people who don't matter. But when faced with Yang, who the average viewer loves a lot, and who we all know never wanted to be involved in this process in the first place, it's a hard lesson that really hits home.

I actually think Reinhard not being responsible for Yang dying is important itself. We really get the sense things could've turned out another way by the time this happens.

Now in a lot of narratives I don't agree with killing a character for something like "war is senseless" because killing a character mid-arc is bad, generally. But LoGH manages to wrap up a lot of narratives quite well when they kill a character off... and there's focus on what the loss of Yang means for everyone.

Also regarding previous discussions about Reinhard

I always felt the whole thing was, deep down he didn't really disagree with Oberstein's decision post-fact... and that's why he keeps Oberstein, and that's why Kicheis is so mad at him. etc. Greater good and all

DAT:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...und-panzer-no-game-no-life-more-anime/.183959

So, I get that this article is from Thursday, but I've only just noticed it, and I think that this situation kind of sucks. I'm currently in the middle of watching The Pet Girl of Sakurasou, and I really don't want to have to binge watch the series so that I can finish it before it gets taken off of Crunchyroll at the end of March. And I was also really keen on watching Golden Time, and Hozuki's Coolheadedness, but it looks like they'll be leaving too.

I wish that they'd given us more then a week's notice for this.

So, they're removing all the Sentai titles. That majorly sucks, but I'm actually surprised Crunchyroll had them for this long, considering Sentai has their own streaming platform.

So, they're removing all the Sentai titles. That majorly sucks, but I'm actually surprised Crunchyroll had them for this long, considering Sentai has their own streaming platform.

I can’t blame Sentai. Hidive has been at a disadvantage for a while now in the streaming license wars, they should pull back what they can. I have a yearly subscription that I got when I was still trying to keep up with new Lupin and, as much as I dislike the way the app does subtitles, Hidive has been a much more robust streaming experience than Crunchyroll and a less frustrating experience than Funi. The only real issue is the catalog.

I know Sentai can’t be big competition for Sony and the others but it’d be nice if they could still be a player.

also, just one further small thought involving oberstein

I think a major role Oberstein provides in LoGH is being the 'scapegoat for immoral actions' - because he's quite willing to be. Oberstein takes and pushes people towards actions that are 'immoral' but in a 'for the greater good' sense - and also takes the blame for them when he can.

A leader must be charismatic and should have good looking moral integrity. Oberstein knows he's not a leader, and is all about pushing the right people into the right places for a better future.

Controversially, I'd say Oberstein is pretty 'selfless' - now. being selfless here doesn't mean he isn't a cold af bastard, but what I mean by this is he's doing everything for the future of mankind rather than any personal reward or goal. Oberstein is fully prepared to be hated by everyone, and even purposefully plays into this role - yeah I'm the person making these awful decisions, hate me and not the people it's important you like. Go on. He knows he's not charistmatic, he knows he's loathed, he never tries to be, and in some ways he plays this up because it totally works to his long-term goals to be the scapegoat. He considers himself the greatest pawn of all.

I guess I won't lie, I really like Oberstein because he's such a pitiable character in some ways... he's attached to the greater good, but he's also accepted that he'll have no close relationships, friendships, positive opinions of him in pursuit of this. In a weird way, that's why his relationship with his dog is such a capitalized upon small thing by fandom I think - it's a humanizing characteristic. Someone he can show affection or close feelings for specifically because they aren't a person.

hehe... this is why I find the comparisons earlier in this thread with warwick funny too... yes it's true. Oberstein himself could have the title of a 'kingmaker' as well.

0hNXWdDjybyymwQXdw_pTyr2qhmjP0w7ejEkgdHgroA.png

Btw, I understand why anyone would dislike Oberstein. After all, his specific role is to be unpleasant and make decisions other people won't hahaha

But he's my favourite

also, just one further small thought involving oberstein

I think a major role Oberstein provides in LoGH is being the 'scapegoat for immoral actions' - because he's quite willing to be. Oberstein takes and pushes people towards actions that are 'immoral' but in a 'for the greater good' sense - and also takes the blame for them when he can.

A leader must be charismatic and should have good looking moral integrity. Oberstein knows he's not a leader, and is all about pushing the right people into the right places for a better future.

Controversially, I'd say Oberstein is pretty 'selfless' - now. being selfless here doesn't mean he isn't a cold af bastard, but what I mean by this is he's doing everything for the future of mankind rather than any personal reward or goal. Oberstein is fully prepared to be hated by everyone, and even purposefully plays into this role - yeah I'm the person making these awful decisions, hate me and not the people it's important you like. Go on. He knows he's not charistmatic, he knows he's loathed, he never tries to be, and in some ways he plays this up because it totally works to his long-term goals to be the scapegoat. He considers himself the greatest pawn of all.

I guess I won't lie, I really like Oberstein because he's such a pitiable character in some ways... he's attached to the greater good, but he's also accepted that he'll have no close relationships, friendships, positive opinions of him in pursuit of this. In a weird way, that's why his relationship with his dog is such a capitalized upon small thing by fandom I think - it's a humanizing characteristic. Someone he can show affection or close feelings for specifically because they aren't a person.

hehe... this is why I find the comparisons earlier in this thread with warwick funny too... yes it's true. Oberstein himself could have the title of a 'kingmaker' as well.

0hNXWdDjybyymwQXdw_pTyr2qhmjP0w7ejEkgdHgroA.png

Btw, I understand why anyone would dislike Oberstein. After all, his specific role is to be unpleasant and make decisions other people won't hahaha

But he's my favourite

More random LOTGH heroes talk:

6d7.png

Get yourself a wife, that loves you like that lmfao

Who cares about a few million lives thrown away, it's all goooooooooooooooooooooood.

I can’t blame Sentai. Hidive has been at a disadvantage for a while now in the streaming license wars, they should pull back what they can. I have a yearly subscription that I got when I was still trying to keep up with new Lupin and, as much as I dislike the way the app does subtitles, Hidive has been a much more robust streaming experience than Crunchyroll and a less frustrating experience than Funi. The only real issue is the catalog.

I know Sentai can’t be big competition for Sony and the others but it’d be nice if they could still be a player.

I still have a HiDive sub, but their platform really annoys me for some reason. It's not terrible, but I much preferred Funimation's user interface to theirs, although their player works much better. They do have a decent amount of older titles I want to watch, but I've been so busy just keeping up with seasonals the last few years that I barely use it. I think Saiyuki Zeroin is the only show I've watched on there in the past year. On the other hand, I love Sentai's disc releases and usually buy a ton during their Black Friday sale, so I certainly hope they stick around, if only for that reason.

Back