Bungou Stray Dogs 3rd Season

Ep. 1 - So, I love Dazai to pieces, but I have officially decided that Port Mafia Dazai is best Dazai. Last season's Dazai backstory arc was incredible- nothing with the Armed Detective Agency quite measures up to that. For one thing- it's just a much darker story, and it satisfies that void left in my heart by Baccano, 91 Days, Durarara, and other violent mob-themed anime. I just can't get enough of this stuff. Or seeing the new ways Dazai finds to die.

The only thing I find unbelievable (in a show about superpowers, hah) is that Dazai doesn't seem to have a regenerative ability. Given how talented he is, all his efforts to die just seem rather unbelievable- I'd say he just isn't trying hard enough, but he seems like he is, and it's hard to argue that his lack of suicide success is due to ridiculously good? bad? luck. I know it's the running gag and part of his historical character, but still...

1, No U

I just love how that bullet got no, u'd. You know what I mean.
Dazai is best Dazai, all the time. Him saying "what a child" at annoying orange haired anime #7 is me @ characters like him or karma from AC, every time. "imma beat dem up" yeah sure you are kid. Sure you are. Very cool. The rest of the episode was great too, I'm just glad to have this show back.

Lessee where this goes...

Episode 2:
Holy shit, this season isn't afraid to push the story and get right into the meat of the series while retaining the humor and character personalities. The reveal at the end of this episode was awesome too! I'm excited for what the story has in store for us!

Episode 5

As usual, I love the OP and ED (the ED especially). BSD never fails to disappoint when it comes to the choice of music.

I'm trying to stay quiet as much as possible since I've read the manga...well, what exists in the manga at least. This episode might have felt like a filler due to the comedy (the manga version I read had the dude on the other end of the phone saying "You pissed off the Armed Detective Agency?! You're on your own!". I felt that was a little funnier than the line they used in the anime, but it was still hilarious), but those two incidents were in the manga, and I'm glad they kept them in.

So far, they've done an excellent job with this season.

Hoo-boy...super exited for next week's episode!

did kunikida just... did he just ora ora? I am blessed.

Also I totally thought that girl they were after was gonna be a dude. My trap senses are failing me at long last. But you can never be too careful.

Episode 6

I don't know if I can properly express how disappointed I am with this episode.
It glossed over SO MUCH regarding both Kyouka and Atsushi and what happened to them. Granted, it at least went into a little more regarding Kyouka, but Portrait of a Father was such a heartwrenching chapter of the manga; said chapter had me in tears by the end, and there was just so much more there of how Atsushi was treated and the conflict within him in it.

This? This didn't even have HALF of those feelings; didn't convey even a portion of Kyouka's reconciliation with Demon Snow or Atsushi's agonizing over how he should feel about the headmaster's death (nor did it really go into the barbaric things done to him). Sure, the part with Dazai at the end was a little better than the manga (still pissed that he just walked off like that, but it was probably to give Atsushi time to himself to mourn), but the entire thing felt rushed and translated zero of the emotional impact that the manga had.

I thought this week's episode was going to be full of "feelz"...but it wasn't. It was just...there. And it's not like it couldn't have made me cry if it was done properly. I've seen plenty of anime adaptions to manga I've read where a scene which made me cry in the manga had me absolutely bawling in the anime because of how well the production was. One of those "know it's coming, but I'm hit with the same impact".

This failed to do that.

I highly recommend people to go read these chapters in the manga; it's done so much more brilliantly and emotionally there than this slipshod job (and I can't believe I'm dissing a BSD episode, but they really did rush it to the point where it doesn't convey anything the manga did).

Episodes 8 - 11

I'll admit, I'm a little disappointed with how rushed this is. Cannibalism spanned about five chapters in the manga, then Echo (which we just hit in the anime) spanned another three chapters...though, since the average episode is approximately 22-23 minutes, I suppose it makes sense that even 30-page chapters would wind up being combined into about two per episode. Still, there were a few things taken out.

There were some parts I had been looking forward to being animated; there was a funny part with Dazai in the hospital where a nurse came in and scolded him for talking on the cellphone (and of course, he charmed her into letting him continue to talk to Tanizaki).

I'm just using that as an example since we're already past that portion in the anime as of now. Since BSD seems to be 12 episodes per season (a cour), that means they'll be looking to wrap up the House of Rats in 23 minutes...
I'm both looking forward to the next episode, and disappointed that it means that minor incidents will have been cut out in order to fit it all into one episode. It'd be nice if they extended this season to 13 episodes, but that probably won't happen...so I just hope they don't rush it any more than they have.

"Disappointed" is putting it mildly. I highly suggest reading the corresponding manga chapters (chapters 46 - 53) when this season concludes.

Episode 11
So I get that Ryunosuke uses his ability to get past the guards and slice apart the mountain to get where he needs to go. That he will grudgingly work with Atsushi to get the job done, so that maybe Dazai tells him he did good or whatever. What annoys me is that right after Atsushi light speeds past the guards, he cant apparently do that again to chase down Pushkin, relying on a good ol Indiana Jones Temple of Doom moment.

Episode 12

Where do I start...? Yea, the animated battle scene with Akutagawa and Atsushi working together was awesome (particularly when they combined their powers), but I felt disappointed at the same time because honestly...the manga left a much greater impact on me for that part. In the manga, they called the combo attack the "Black Tiger", and though it was definitely well done in the anime, like the rest of this season (minus the first couple episodes), it feels like it was lacking something; it didn't carry the same emphasis and impact.

I think that's not so much on the animation team, but the music. There was far too much BGM in this episode, and half the time the music was too loud compared to the dialogue. That moment with the two in the quicksand was such an eerie, insightful, and shocking moment in the manga...but was overshadowed by the music which made it hard to hear their dialogue.

It felt like the music and the dialogue were competing with one another.

Also, the classical music did not fit the chase/fighting at all. I know that some anime (and even TV shows and movies) use classical music during high-stakes scenes (typically horrific scenes), but it didn't work with this episode. Instead, it felt like it detracted from the chase scene and the first part of their battle.

The music also detracted from the strategic battle going on between Fyodor and Dazai. While some characters (like Ango) spoke loudly which made it over the music, other characters (such as Dazai) often speak in a low tone which sort of just blended in with the music.

I hate to keep saying "the manga" and referencing it, but since I read the manga long before this season was animated...I had certain expectations for this arc. I don't think this was the strongest season in BSD, not by a long shot (that, I'll give to the second season/Guild arc). After re-watching the first couple seasons and then coming to this episode, I also feel like some of the lines and character designs/animations are a little thinner and the quality decreased somewhat.

Most of this will probably also go into the review I'm going to write for this season, but I feel like the impact of the House of Rats arc was just not there in the anime between the slight rushjob, odd angles/character animations, and especially the almost nonstop music (most of which didn't fit what was happening) in this final episode.

Don't get me wrong...I love BSD. But I expected much more from this arc, and it felt like we got a watered down version. The Holmes vs Moriarty/"The Final Problem" feel of Dazai and Fyodor battling in strategy didn't feel as strong in the anime as it did in the manga, and the team-up battle with Akutagawa and Atsushi (and Atsushi's reveal about the Headmaster) felt watered down...mostly due to the music. If the music had at least stopped playing for that chat of theirs, then it would have captured the goosebump-giving feel that I got from that scene in the manga.

So yea...very disappointed in the production of this season.

Last edited:
Back