Daily Anime Thoughts

It's interesting to hear Angel Beats was a first for a lot of people.

For me my whole thing was -> Grave of the Fireflies (first movie, love this movie a lot still) -> FMA (first series)

But the first anime that made me passionately fall in love with anime was Baccano, funnily. It was probably one of my first 10 or so anime. It was something where I saw the poster and I thought, this looks like something I'll love. And I was right.

It's funny, when I reflect on my top 100 anime, most things in it are definitely from earlier in my anime watching time period. So I'm like 'am I more cynical now?' Probably partially, but I think it's also that things that appeal to you exist less and less as you finish off series.
I actually bought Grave of Fireflies on dvd ages ago, but never got around to watching it. Don't think I ever got myself mentally prepared for what I was expecting :p

I only watched Brotherhood. I liked it a lot and can see why people love it so much, even if I did not get as enchanted with it. There really are few flaws I can even point out about it

Baccano is a show I heard mentioned repeatedly when I got into anime, but always ended up getting postponed. Maybe I should make that my next show, as I just finished what I was watching. I think my first anime was Silver Fang, which is still a favourite of mine. I was a kid at the time though, didn't even know anime was a thing. How I got into anime in general was not very unique, stuff like Death Note, Code Geass, Lucky Star and Mirai Nikki

But the first anime that made me passionately fall in love with anime was Baccano, funnily. It was probably one of my first 10 or so anime. It was something where I saw the poster and I thought, this looks like something I'll love. And I was right.

Claptrap loves an anime about a bunch of morally seedy characters?
3opht2N.gif

Yeah, I feel like it is a pretty big deal, cause it feels like the majority of people still don't even know what the actual fuck consent is when it comes to sex and respecting healthy boundaries. A large chunk of our media in movies and TV shows implants the idea that a man forcing themselves on a woman is a good thing, which is really fucked up in every way. They portray it a lot as the more they say no, the more it means yes.

It is a big deal, I agree. Consent is something as a whole seldom addressed or dealt with properly or satisfactorily in any sort of media. It is often written from the angle of the woman playing hard to get, and if the guy just pushes hard enough he'll win her over, regardless of what he does or how he goes about it. The whole "The guy always gets the girl" mentality for a lot of those types of plots. The issue is, they never ask the girl what she wants or how she feels about it... she is just supposed to live with it and even be flattered by it. And a lot of these styles of shows are aimed at youth, and packaged as a romantic comedy, because nothing says romance like harassment, inappropriate touching/leering/drooling, and/or stalking. Then of course it is usually written in the end that she does enjoy it or finally gives in, which further enforces the thought that he was right all along.

Media has gotten better in some ways on how they address it along with other issues, but they still often find themselves struggling with things that in the year 2022 we should be above. Especially something that should be so simple like consent and boundaries, which goes to shows exactly how far we still have to go.

um, its, okay, (tries to enjoy it)

I am just going to summon the firing squad now...

But in all seriousness. I never understand the phrase "I am trying to enjoy it"... You either like it or you don't, and if you don't there is no reason to try to make yourself. We all can like different things and have different tastes, and that is all fine. I personally loved the show, but I can understand it is not going to appeal to everyone.

I have to say I expected more from it, especially emotionally-wise, since I heard everyone cried super hard watching it, and then I watched it myself and didn't even slightly.

You monster.

But in all seriousness. I never understand the phrase "I am trying to enjoy it"... You either like it or you don't, and if you don't there is no reason to try to make yourself. We all can like different things and have different tastes, and that is all fine. I personally loved the show, but I can understand it is not going to appeal to everyone.

I think by "trying to enjoy it" people usually mean they are trying to see what attracts other people to it. I've definitely watched things weren't particularly appealing to me, but I could find things that I could see other people liking. Even if it didn't make me love it, it did make me appreciate it more.

Why wouldn't you try to enjoy entertainment

I think by "trying to enjoy it" people usually mean they are trying to see what attracts other people to it. I've definitely watched things weren't particularly appealing to me, but I could find things that I could see other people liking. Even if it didn't make me love it, it did make me appreciate it more.
I agree here. There’s a difference between forcing yourself to like something you hate or watching something you hate just to hate on it, and watching something with the intent of trying to see why it’s so popular so why it’s touched so many people. I think the second option of trying to see why it’s so popular is what Turk (Rascal, sorry old habits die hard) is trying to say here.

FTi-UMc-KWIAAkr-SA.jpg

Ye I still can't believe the man is actually coming back, last chapter was when I was still a sophomore lmoa.

DAT 2: Cause I seen that duarara have been mentioned several times lately here, I actually started rewatching it last week since for the love of god, I can't remember what happened beyond s1 no matter how much I try to crack my braincells. Compared to my first watch back in high school (Exactly 2013 when silly me used notepad to keep track sometimes with dates), I am enjoying it much much more. I was scared it wouldn't have aged well. (ehm angel beats (?))

I am glad shizuo and izaya still do not bore me at all. I can watch izaya crushing a phone like a maniac and getting clapped with a fridge for the whole day.

In my experience sometimes it takes a bit of time for something to really start to click. That's not always the case though (I find that it's a bit rare) so usually I'll just drop something if I'm either extremely bored or get really pissed off.

Perhaps so. I can understand that line of reasoning. I just found it worded in such a way to indicate they were not really enjoying it, but struggling to try to like it anyway (Perhaps because so many people do like it). I may have read too much into the line though.

Because it is worded in a way that I took to mean they are not and trying to anyway? Something very common in the community, especially with popular films and series.

DAT:

I'm pretty amused Trigger has official artwork of Lio and Galo in wedding suits from Promare, they know exactly what they're doing:

sIjGfZ7.jpg

Lio's still got the best character design out of any Trigger dude I've seen.
Oh, absolutely.

Prior to actually watching the movie, I thought that Lio was a gal. And I betchu I wasn't the only one who had that misconception. The character designers knew what was going to happen, for sure.

You monster.
More or less other people have touched on what it means to try to 'enjoy something', but for me personally although yeah im not loving angel beats (yet?) it's about trying to set my cynicism aside at the door and take the show for what it is. 'trying to see what other people find appealing about it' is true.

I don't necessarily watch all anime because it's fun which uh sounds weird maybe, but there's some shows where I just want to see how they've influenced things around them or audience expectations. That kind of thing is ultimately fun for me even if the show itself isn't, always,

But my opinions can change while I'm watching something, which is where I kind of want to try to be less cynical and avoid my natural urge to start dissecting something apart before I've seen it as a whole.

(Especially something I might be going into with personal bias, like Angel Beats)

I just can't get over the hair color. Lime sherbert just doesn't do it for me for some reason. IDK I can't get into it.

But I've also never seen the movie so maybe that's part of the reason.

Oh, absolutely.

Prior to actually watching the movie, I thought that Lio was a gal. And I betchu I wasn't the only one who had that misconception. The character designers knew what was going to happen, for sure.
Heh. Heheheh. Yeah...
Femboy Supremacy

DAT:

I'm pretty amused Trigger has official artwork of Lio and Galo in wedding suits from Promare, they know exactly what they're doing:

sIjGfZ7.jpg

Also, the fact that they made a decent amount of merch with them in these outfits for the 1 year anniversary (That sold like hotcakes by the way). They DEFINITELY knew what they were doing.

I strongly dislike SAO and the potential it threw away, but I could easily write a long and detailed explanation in perfectly neutral language as to why it's so appealing and successful. By itself that can be a fun intellectual practice.

As for "trying to enjoy" something, I find that sometimes this means adjusting to the "rhythm" of a show. For example, I for the most part just mildly enjoyed the first 50-60 episodes of Gintama, and then it just kind of "clicked" for me with one of the first major story arcs, and now I find those OG 50 episodes way more funny when rewatching, too. Not that all things would need so many episodes, of course. It's probably more that by that time I stopped trying to force myself to like it more than I was, which paradoxically just made me more open to what it had to offer.

A lot of it goes back to what I've talked about before with how "hype" is by itself a meaningless judgement standard when it's devoid of knowledge of who a product is aimed at and why the audience likes it, and how much those things would be to your taste in the first place

Last edited:
Back