Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works TV 2

The first anime I've watched in a long time... and despite what people here are saying, I enjoyed it, and felt that with what ufotable had to work with, they managed to polish shit enough to make something resembling a gem. it's still a far cry from Fate/Zero, but I think most of the complaints surrounding this show stem from the fact that people simply wanted more Fate/Zero at the same level of quality writing and maturity, and their disappointment that it's not is making people hate it, even though this remake was actually quite decent.

8/10 from me.

Speaking for myself, I never expected another F/Z because this is Nasu Kinoko and I've seen the original FSN, so I knew what approximate level of writing I was getting into. I was expecting a storyline with somewhat better plot and pacing than Deen's, though, and I didn't get that. In fact, as mentioned earlier, I thought the story was even worse this time around, as were most characters.

Honestly, if I had to sit through tens of hours of this VN route I'd go nuts. Unpleasant to even think about it.

I absolutely hated the old F/SN, and I absolutely loved F/Z. So what of this? I kind of hated it. Sure, the production values are great, making (most of)the battles a treat to watch. It looks and sounds great. But it doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of the characters are irritating and - to me - wholly unlikable.
Shirou is one of my most detestable anime main characters. I despise him with his stomach-turning "hero of justice" bullshit. But, I also despise Archer with his views as well, and I also hate Rin because of her whole tsundere schtick.
I do love Gilgamesh, but I saw no real reason why he would have lost to Shirou. Why the hell didn't he use Ea against Shirou's "world marble" (or whatever it's called), like he did against Rider in Fate/Zero?
I also didn't like how Saber's character prograssed after what we saw in Fate/Zero.

Fate/Zero was mature throughout, Fate/Stay Night is the highschool kiddie version in every way.

LOL

Highschool kiddie version ?Are you serious ?Now I know that people can never be pleased .

UBW deals with emptiness ,ethics and self-actualization yet it's "kiddie" .Were you even paying attention while you watched ?FZ has Kerry spouting lines that even a grade schooler would know yet he gets away with his crap .

I'll be honest, animation/music work aside I actually thought this had a shittiest story than the route Deen originally adapted.

That one played out as a [even] more typical battle shonen, which means it was restrained to the grounds of mediocrity, but other than Shirou being inevitably shit as always it didn't do much particularly wrong. The story kind of stumbled along towards a climax in which both villains had a role to play, and it solved itself in a predictable but mildly entertaining way, with Saber probably getting a bit of a good ending that was at least satisfying to see. And Archer actually felt like a good character there. The least you knew him the better, I guess.

Here, you had to deal with the tons of Shirou/Archer extra bullshit taking up the majority of several episodes, Kirei was killed prematurely in a really stupid manner - leaving only Gilgamesh as a villain, and thus his ensuing bullshit logic - the more central role of Rin made the tsundere antics go up a notch, fucking Shinji had far more appearances and messed up shit to do, and Saber didn't even really get an actual ending, but simply passed away the same way as she did in Zero, without nearly any of the emotional charge from back then. Plus the annoying as fuck epilogue in this one.

>Typical battle shounen

>Shirou/Archer extra bullshit

People don't know what the hell they've watched .I bet you think Shirou is a weak point of the show too .

I don't really see what exactly you're trying to hope to accomplish by making condescending, and salty comments like this but okay.

>Typical battle shounen

>Shirou/Archer extra bullshit

People don't know what the hell they've watched .I bet you think Shirou is a weak point of the show too .

You mean you didn't? I'd be interested to see why you think otherwise, rather than just shitposting on other peoples opinions.

I've already answered this on reddit so I'll just copy and paste .

He's basically a guy that's pretty empty on the inside .Throughout the series it's said that he rarely smiles ,has no hobbies and it's shown that he has a poor sense of self worth (hence his suicidal escapades when trying to save someone) .He's got a massive mental issue called survivor's guilt from the fire ten years ago .Also since he was quite empty on the inside ,the fact that he ,an individual who didn't see himself as worth much could bring a smile to someone's face (i.e Kiritsugu) sort of helped his ego .And so through saving others he finds meaning in his life .Whenever he fails to save others he falls into a not-so-minor existential crisis (e.g the breakdown he had when he couldn't save Ilya).The ideal of saving others is his "crutch" through life so to speak .Hence his title as a "faker" .His wish wasn't born naturally from within himself .It's just something he uses to give himself meaning .Like a machine (which Archer later remarks on).Thus ,the first line of his chant "My body is made of swords" reflects how he views himself as a tool .He is a sword for others .Swords do not act for themselves .This is the cause of his lack of self-worth .He sort of deconstructs the the hero-archetype since he shows how a possible origin of how the superhero mindset can stem from having a poor sense of self worth due to trauma .Then again there's a very clear difference between him and other "superheroes" .Most superheroes operate because of decisions made by their conscience/morality .In this guy's case however we have an individual who actually uses morality as an excuse to continue his mad charge .

The MC that we're talking about is a twisted/broken individual who has absolutely no passions other than heroism .A deluded romantic who wanks to the idea of helping others without reward .When we eventually get an image of his wretched mental landscape its a barren world filled with nothing but rusty swords on the ground .His UBW chant in itself is a near-perfect summary of his mindset .I'd go more into that but I'd bore people if I started pointing things out line by line .The only thing that moves his shattered ego is a lie which he told himself when he was younger .Said lie happens to be a self destructive ideal/objective that will one day consume him .The whole point of the series isn't even the HGW .It's a story of self-actualization .

Contrary to what people seem to think ,he's willing to kill the few to save the many .A fact which is actually one of the major points of the series .

What this guy somewhat mirrors is how people grow up and find out that their dreams aren't necessarily attainable .Worse still their huge/potentially self-destructive goals might stem from simple admiration of a guardian .That you become/want to become something dangerous only because someone you loved was one is a sign of emptiness and a lack of originality .Because of this many people give up on their "ideals" in exchange for a stable reality .Shirou's case is special though because it's more likely that he'll listen to someone telling him to roll over and die than someone telling him to give up his ideals .He relies on them that much .That's exactly why he can push forward even when he knows the grim end that awaits him .

Partial deconstruction/broken individual/symbolism tied to character and people start complaining because he isn't edgy enough .I see how Evangelion lovers feel sometimes .

I don't really see what exactly you're trying to hope to accomplish by making condescending, and salty comments like this but okay.

Condescending ?How am I condescending ?I'm clearly being rude and trying to kick up a shitstorm so I can educate some plebs .

Last edited:
Well I'm glad you managed to read so much into so little, because the show is pretty much devoid of any of that kind of explanation, and even if it was there, it would still be very poorly executed in the format of 2 episodes of total exposition, just as absolutely everything else was.

Enjoy your Nasu wankfest!

I just have one question TDA.

whats withe the structure of *Sentence - *Space - *Punctuation immediately followed by another sentence with no space?

@Tootalls

It's an online habit I picked up when I was younger .I use it for any informal typing ,

@Taekwondoin

Great reply ........Except that the purpose of the entire show is to build up to that moment and his nature is made clear even before then .I suppose that kind of vague/baseless criticism is what I should expect from someone who doesn't understand what they've watched .

Yeah I'll enjoy my Nasu wank-fest .He made great material after all .

I'm clearly being rude and trying to kick up a shitstorm so I can educate some plebs .

This is not acceptable behavior around here. It's fine if you don't agree with people's interpretation of the show, but coming into a thread with the intention of "kicking up a shitstorm" isn't going to fly and it's a very bad way to start a dialogue or a debate about the show.

Now with mod duties out of the way:

Some of what you say about Shiro does have merit and I do think that was the intention behind the character, but the execution was terrible. Shiro doesn't act like someone that's broken. As presented while he's not normal he's still living a fairly normal life. He's got his school life, he has friends and he's able to maintain relationships beyond a superficial level. As much as you say his life is empty it's not portrayed that way. The only way that his emotional damage is conveyed is through exposition. We're told through lots of long ass speeches all these things about him, but it's never conveyed naturally through the story..

Now you mention NGE. Shinji actually acts like someone that is deeply emotionally scarred. He's not able to act appropriately in social situations, he's awkward and his responses are usually pretty off the mark. All of this is conveyed through his actions and it's easy to see just watching a bit of the show.

Basically this show doesn't fail because it was trying to build to a point. It failed because it did so in a way that was devoid of emotional impact because it played the game of tell, don't show.

This is not acceptable behavior around here. It's fine if you don't agree with people's interpretation of the show, but coming into a thread with the intention of "kicking up a shitstorm" isn't going to fly and it's a very bad way to start a dialogue or a debate about the show.

Now with mod duties out of the way:

Some of what you say about Shiro does have merit and I do think that was the intention behind the character, but the execution was terrible. Shiro doesn't act like someone that's broken. As presented while he's not normal he's still living a fairly normal life. He's got his school life, he has friends and he's able to maintain relationships beyond a superficial level. As much as you say his life is empty it's not portrayed that way. The only way that his emotional damage is conveyed is through exposition. We're told through lots of long ass speeches all these things about him, but it's never conveyed naturally through the story..

Now you mention NGE. Shinji actually acts like someone that is deeply emotionally scarred. He's not able to act appropriately in social situations, he's awkward and his responses are usually pretty off the mark. All of this is conveyed through his actions and it's easy to see just watching a bit of the show.

Basically this show doesn't fail because it was trying to build to a point. It failed because it did so in a way that was devoid of emotional impact because it played the game of tell, don't show.

He does act like a broken individual but when it comes to Shirou, he's broken in a different way from Shinji. In Shinji's case we have an individual who's afraid of social interaction due to earlier experiences in his life. This is something that most people can see at a glance since social interaction occurs in everyday life .What happens when we start to talk about dreams then ?That's not something that can be shown in normal scenarios and so Nasu creates a special one called the Holy Grail War(HGW) .In it, we see Shirou as he's torn in between the reality of the situation and what he wishes for it to be .His mad/annoying heroic escapades are in themselves proof of how he thinks .The entire point of the date with Saber and Rin was because Rin spotted how dispassionate he was in relation to other people .Throughout said date Shirou is largely dispassionate and doesn't even crack a smile. We see numerous visions of the fire flashed throughout the show .We literally see him cry when he can't save Illya (who btw, tried to kill him earlier on) even though there was absolutely nothing he could do to help the situation .

I do agree that we need to be "shown" a reasonable bit but I also think that we were .There was never a direct/indirect disconnection between what what shown on screen and his core character either.

I don't really accept it "being devoid of emotional impact" as criticism since that varies from individual to individual .I ,for example ,found the "Answer" episodes to be extremely entertaining emotionally and conceptually .In fact ,the final episode with the Gilgamesh fight was at it's most interesting (for me) during his introspection at the beginning when he completed his self actualization .Not when he kicked the Goldie's ass .

I suppose I'm sorry for trying to "kick up a shitstorm" .

@Tootalls

It's an online habit I picked up when I was younger .I use it for any informal typing ,

Oh ight.

well Ii'll stay out of this one, I let my computer narrator read long post out of being too lazy and easily distracted when I attempt to do it myself. And when it reads it, very sentence ends with the voice saying "DOT" , and there is no break time between starting a new sentence, so overall it doesn't make sense.

Wonder were the habit came from, you're the second user to write that way here...........

Episodes 01-05

I think I might have hit my head somewhere, or maybe marathoning 14 episodes of fate fried my brain circuits, but those episodes weren't complete shit? There was a lot of pointless dialogue and stupid scenes, and I almost dropped the show, but it wasn't all bad, for one Caster's and Illya's backstories weren't bad, I actually felt bad for both of them, at least they treated them as more than a way to stall the plot for Caster, or a token harem loli for Illya, like they dealt with them in the older Fate route adaption. Or at least if you disregard the completely meaningless scene when Illya's talking to the dead versions of her.

Also this is something I forgot to mention in about the first season, but I can't bring myself to hate Shinji, he's a cowardice asshole, he would be talking all high and mighty on one moment, the next one he's screaming like a little bitch while pissing his pants, he's constantly talking in a sinister way and always breaks into a random evil laugh in the middle of class, I mean, how I can I hate someone who's posing like this in the middle of a lesson
vlcsnap-2018-07-10-22h55m05s269.png

The perfect hateable piece of shit that I need in a shitty show, just as long as he's in the screen and he can make me laugh, I can rest assured that my sanity level doesn't drop further.

Now to the dumb, Archer betraying Rin was absolutely pointless, if it was to get close to Caster they gained nothing from it, he never tried to attack her from behind or anything, and it didn't even matter in the long run, we did get a cool Lancer Vs Archer fight out of it, but that's about it. This show is too dumb to even justify just a single action. But it doesn't matter he'll show up ten seconds later and kill Caster and the Teacher without breaking a sweat, which makes no sense considering that even Saber had her arse wiped on the floor by him, and we were supposed to have been told that she's the strongest servant, bullshit much? of course that's without mentioning some of the really weird scenes that made guy "uhh?", like Saber being hung with ropes in a dress in a pose that makes me think this is some kind of weird kinky play, or when Archer was describing Rin's sex appeal when she was having a bath from another room without actually showing where he is, which led me to think he's there watching her taking her bath.
tenor.gif

Damn you Fate, you and your kinky ass sex scenes
tenor.gif

This will be hard to forget, very hard to forget.

Okay, the show subverted all expectations when it broke all the rules and made me praise it, so it was only natural to expect from it become shittier to balance it out, and it met my expectations, it became both dumber and more boring. At first I had finished the 12th episode which seemed to be conclusive, but no, they just gave up the middle finger and gave us a 13th episode of absolutely nothing worthy of talking about.

Despite being twice as dumb as the prequel, I'll just give it the same rating as the first season, and only because Shinju is best girl. I might watch Deen's UBW's version sometime later, but from now I'll just assume it's equally as dumb but still better because it doesn't drag out it's barely existing plot to last 2 whole seasons. 4/10

As for you two @Tents and @HasseRovdjur, all I want to say is:
giphy.gif

Back