Concrete Revolutio

Re: Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou

Well, it's a BONES show and I always tend to give those a chance(unless it's mecha) so we'll see how it goes.

1:
Well, this left me feeling as if I was just blasted in the face with a hose shooting Skittles. Haven't felt this way since watching the Kyousogiga ONAs. What I mean by that of course, is that this premiere was too damn busy in how it was paced and tried to introduce too much at once. Think of a more clusterf***y Darker than BLACK or Blood Blockade Battlefront.

1:
Well, this left me feeling as if I was just blasted in the face with a hose shooting Skittles. Haven't felt this way since watching the Kyousogiga ONAs. What I mean by that of course, is that this premiere was too damn busy in how it was paced and tried to introduce too much at once. Think of a more clusterf***y Darker than BLACK or Blood Blockade Battlefront.

So, good, not good?
I want to watch this, but was hoping for some more insight... :pokerface:

So, good, not good?
I want to watch this, but was hoping for some more insight... :pokerface:

Highly recommended if you hate coherence and love manic pacing that makes it impossible to take anything in, or care. I didn't notice that this was trying to tell it's story through events that aren't in sequential order until the very end. It was that jarring to me. Watch it and see for yourself.

01:

I think I've made a grave mistake. This episode....eerily reminded me of Punchline as the best comparison I can make in how utterly confusing and just plain random it got. Let me tell you, that is not a good thing.

I mean, it might get better, but I'm already getting a bad, deep sinking feeling from this messy premiere.

And if it continues to be bad, then hey. At least you have 23-25 more episodes to deal with. "SUPPOSEDLY". =^)

Eeeeeh story by Shou Aikawa? And is inspired by Watchmen?

I dunno if I should be excited or terrified.

Anyway, first episode was...uh...

Well I dunno what the flying fuck is going on, but there's aliens, giant robots and magical girls. That's cool, right? Right?

Eeeeeh story by Shou Aikawa? And is inspired by Watchmen?

Not really seeing that inspiration so far. Can't help but wonder why Aikawa would even think bringing this show in the same sentence as Alan Moore's magnum opus. Watchmen was about simple questions regarding superheroes, such as what would it be like if masked vigilantism was an actual thing with a bunch of Batman wannabes running around. That and how would normies deal with a being that actually has amazing superpowers, amongst other things too. This? This is more like.. 'Hey, let's go mash together superheros, magical-girls, mechas, aliens, robots, transformer-cars, animal shape-shifters, and evil scientists all chasing each other in an incomprehensible mess that jumps around with it's time-line for some reason!

Might be a bit too early to say this, but I'm expecting this series to be my designated "bad show" of the season (unless of course Perfect Insider ends up as a mishap that rivals Crapo Shittan from just last season)

Well, that's it 100% out for me, Watchmen was one of the most boring movies i have ever seen in my life.

Out of all the capeshit movies around I think I liked Watchmen the most, and that's really not saying much when I think about it.

READ THE COMIC

Well, that's it 100% out for me, Watchmen was one of the most boring movies i have ever seen in my life.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of picking this up out of morbid curiosity.
I guess you must've leapfrogged my final post on the last page. This really has nothing to do with either the movie or the comic version.

EDIT: I just remembered, Aikawa was also the dude who brought us Eureka Seven Ao. This is explains a fair bit.

Episode 1:

I can't add much to what has already been said, the episode is an ugly confused mess. Dumping a ton of bright colors onto the unappealing art didn't make the style anymore palatable. The episode's approach of taking a simple backstory and telling it in a super convoluted way doesn't create any sense of engagement. Instead of the frantic pacing that throws new elements at us one right after the other it would have been better to give us some reason to care about these characters. I feel nothing for his decision to leave the hero association and I certainly don't feel anything for magic girl's feelings at the reveal at the end.

The episode is all sound and fury with no emotional core to make me care. It's not even a fun ride like Blood Blockade's frantic first episode mostly because Blood Blockade's first episode wasn't trying to introduce a complicated overarching story in the first episode. Instead BBB was just trying to make a cool introduction to its world in the first episode. Concrete tries to introduce its world and its story in one go and fails at both. The world is an ugly mess of mismatched elements and I have been given no reason to care about the characters or the plot.

I didn't care for any of the music and found the humor to mostly fall flat on its face. If this was meant to be a charming introduction to a series that doesn't take itself too seriously then it failed on that account as well. Given the amount of humor in the episode I think it was going for a less serious approach, but it is hard to tell with scenes like the dead serious, played straight train scene at the start or the reveal at the end.

I've got nothing good to say about this episode. It was a trainwreck.

ep1 - The elements sound harmless enough ... but I found the totality unbearable.
Not so much jumbled as a plot that has suffered entropic heat death ... no energy at all, flatlining from the first minute.
They couldn't even sugar-coat this with the usual distractions:
- Cute female lead? nah, bland and boring, no lines I remember besides "huh?" and a startled expression ... and a lot of confusion about her age due to the timeline mess.
- Flashy battles? nah, just dizzying cuts that make it impossible to tell what's going on.

Sometimes you can have a fun show that throws a lot of tropes at the wall (I liked the first half of Invaders of the Rokujyoma) but this isn't fun.

A rare one-and-done for me.

Calling it now guys, this is going to be the next coming of Samurai Flamenco levels of shit and I say that with a completely straight and serious face. Just judging solely from how bad I think the script is at the moment.

Just admit it, Gen, superheroes don't do it for you. :troll:

Episode 1
Aliens and magical girls and superheroes and mechas... and... transformers...?
Oh my!
I was just thinking, "Ah, this looks quite stylish!" and then the characters moved. Yikes. :laugh:

The transformation sequence and the girl's magical girl outfit was cute, at least.

I normally don't pick on a series due to subtitling gaffs, but the way the translators have spelled Grose Augen's name is a little... off. Especially if it's supposed to be based off of German. It probably should be Größe Augen, or Grösse Augen if you wanted to go Swiss or account for people who have no idea how to read an eszett...

Still, I'm with a lot of people. This is... messy. Storywriting is all over the shop and the characters seem a little flat. The odd timeskips don't help with building a coherent picture either.

Just admit it, Gen, superheroes don't do it for you. :troll:

Man, I wish that were the case, then I could accept my huge dislike for this a bit better, but....in reality I like superhero stuff a ton, so yeah, that just adds on an extra soul crushing layer in the process, dammit. :laugh:

2:

This was a markedly better episode then the 1st.

The 1st half was a fairly decent introduction to the new lad despite some "let's explain the world we've all been living in all along to each other" dialogue. It fell off notably in the second half when it decided to start showing events out of order like the 1st episode. It worked a lot better here though since the story was still easy to piece together and was self contained. Problem is said story wasn't all that great. There wasn't even any of the manic action we saw in episode 1. Beetle girl just stood their with her sword raised whilst Edge McCool spouted some contrived nonsense. "You can't forgive him because he's your friend"? Yeah, that might make it sting more but I'd be pretty pissed if anyone slaughtered my entire species.
At this point I'm still a bit confused as to which of the time periods we're meant to consider the "present".

So to me this just feels like a less fun Kekkai Sensen but old in a non-linear fashion. Kekkai Sensen might not have had the most fleshed out cast, but still they had more presence then pretty much everyone here. At least it's not looking as terrible as it seemed.

Back