The Promised Neverland 2nd Season

So I'm hearing this season decided, with the author's blessing, to diverge from the source material?
Not really, or at least not yet. They just seem to be condensing the plot so the series can arrive at a similar sort of ending. Some crucial plot details got axed though
like the Seven Walls and the quest to reforge the promiseso not sure how they'll smooth that over.

Eh, before this, most manga readers seemed to accuse the Goldy Pond arc of sucking anyways.
It was the first major arc after the escape, so I imagine a lot of them couldn't come to grips with how the rest of the series wouldn't focus on the same strengths that drew them in. For me, it was just differently awesome.

Last edited:
It really feels like the show is starting to settle into a groove now, even if the transition between this and the last season was pretty rough and rushed. I feel like it's just starting to gain some footing here after tripping all over the place before. It's just too bad it took an entire half of a short season for it to get to this point.

The Norman/Emma clash is the story it clearly wants to tell, but maybe because it had to cut out a good chunk of manga detail, it didn't quite know how to set up the conflict without going through the Vegan Demons first. But we're here now and things are starting to get interesting. It's not actually surprising that the kids are being so black and white about the whole thing - disappointing, sure, but it's almost expected, given that last season, their main priority was to just survive Grace Fields.

Now that they're out in the world and are finding things out one after the other, everything they know to be real is getting turned on its head and they're now suddenly being forced to give a shit about things way bigger than they are. So Norman, who's only seen the worst of demons, wants to kill them all. Emma, who's met a few kind ones, doesn't want to kill them all, just leave and make things nice and peaceful and happy for everyone involved. Not so different from who they were before, but definitely watered down versions of their past selves, that's for sure.

Not saying this all justifies the bizarre pacing the show's suffered from so far - because the quality dip is certainly obvious - but that's how I'm choosing to see things so I don't give myself a near-aneurysm every time I watch this.

That girl with Norman is annoying

Ha, yeah, can't say I'm a big fan of hers either. In a better world where she and the other Lambda alumni were properly set up and introduced to us, we would be inclined to give more of a shit. But because their entrance in the story was so hurried, they look more like caricatures obviously placed there to go directly against Emma and Co. instead of torture victims we should have sympathy for.

As much as I wanna complain about this season, the desire to do so really clashes with the manga fans shitting all over this season just because it's different from the manga.

Especially when, from what I've seen spoilers of, the manga really isn't interesting either past s1's material.

So in light of that, I'll only be posting positive things about this show from now on this season. Usually when it comes to super overly-popular shows, even if I have some positive things to say about them I'll focus more on the negative to balance out the conversation, so in this case I'll do the opposite.

The way they re-introduced norman and immediately had a rift thrown in between him and emma here, really makes for good drama. It's a much better plotline than the season had before this point, much more engaging and at least thought provoking rather than mindless trudging onward.
To clarify on this, I have no problem with anyone criticizing this season on its own merits as a continuation. That's totally fine. It's just weird to me to only dislike a season just because it's different from the manga, especially when it's only different because people didn't like how it ended up in the manga and the author wanted to improve it in the anime.

Last edited:
To clarify on this, I have no problem with anyone criticizing this season on its own merits as a continuation. That's totally fine. It's just weird to me to only dislike a season just because it's different from the manga, especially when it's only different because people didn't like how it ended up in the manga and the author wanted to improve it in the anime.
It feels less like they're trying to improve anything and more like they're trying to stuff it all into 11 episodes. I'm not against this anime doing things differently from the manga. The manga's storyline is not without reproach, far from it. My problem is that it's not going far enough. Cutting out the middle act hasn't really done anything other than reduce the overall scope of the journey and neuter the world building. Asides from that it's largely been following the later chapters of the manga almost as if nothing has happened and that's not the fix people that were disappointed with the original story were hoping for. Now I have to listen to all of these shitty pro genocide arguments and people pretending to be surprised at Emma's choice without a lot of the stuff that I liked about the series.

I'm not someone who's entirely unwilling to compromise on massive story changes either. Honestly, if they wanted to go in a new direction, I say they should have laid their balls on the table and gone all out FMA 2003 style like we all thought it would instead of acting as a skeleton of the original story. But even if they did that I don't think they would do a very good job in just a single season.

Normans the real hero change my mind. The dude is make the real east decision to kill the beings who farmed his family/ species for years . If cows gained sentience I wouldn’t blame them, they’d loose but hey better to fight and die then try to make peace with the same people that are you friends for dinner the night before. Honestly the whole “I’m the hero so I can’t hurt the bad guys” trope is just as tiresome as the edgelord for no reason trope. There never seems to be an in between and it kinda hurts neverland it’s still good but a problem nonetheless

Normans the real hero change my mind. The dude is make the real east decision to kill the beings who farmed his family/ species for years . If cows gained sentience I wouldn’t blame them, they’d loose but hey better to fight and die then try to make peace with the same people that are you friends for dinner the night before. Honestly the whole “I’m the hero so I can’t hurt the bad guys” trope is just as tiresome as the edgelord for no reason trope. There never seems to be an in between and it kinda hurts neverland it’s still good but a problem nonetheless
We aren't forced to eat cows in order to keep our evolutionary line from accelerating in reverse. Nor are our government bodies leveraging that fact against us to keep us servile so the situation is pretty different. Humans are more than just food stuffs, they're a tool of oppression and Emma's goal is to free them from the very compulsions that are being used against them.

We aren't forced to eat cows in order to keep our evolutionary line from accelerating in reverse. Nor are our government bodies leveraging that fact against us to keep us servile so the situation is pretty different. Humans are more than just food stuffs, they're a tool of oppression and Emma's goal is to free them from the very compulsions that are being used against them.
I wouldn’t disagree if that’s what she said. That was Norman’s/ray’s explanation of why the demon kings denied the ability to be free from their human dependency. She said that she didn’t want to kill them because their were good ones. Although a good argument it’s one we see all the time . I was hoping for her and ray to be super badass characters to at the least struggle to survive while dodging the demons and humans who try to hunt them. I wasn’t hanging my hat in that though, I was expecting the smartest kids to think rationally, it hasn’t been that many episodes and it’s not a really problem so here’s hoping it still stays good

That's giving Emma a bit too much credit, that might be the end result of her reluctance, But she isn't thinking that far ahead. She just doesn't want to hurt things, she does sorta fit into that trope.

Like when she hesitated to shoot the bird. She's just that kind of character.

She eventually overcame that hurdle to help feed her family, but killing for non-food purposes (even if it's tied to survival) is beyond the extent her character trope is willing to go.

I was expecting the smartest kids to think rationally,

Being irrational is consistent with Ema's character from season 1. She originally wanted to escape with all the kids, including the babies, which was impossible with the escape strategy they ended up using. She needed Norman and Ray to ground her optimistic spirit and make her realize her ideal fantasies can't always work out how she wants.

Last edited:
I finally got to watch this and I'm enjoying it a lot. Of the 3 anime I'm watching it's definitely the one that's been easiest to binge and the one I'm most excited to see what happens next.

This girl meets two demons who claim to be vegetarian, and one who doesn’t instantly attack because it’s literally blind, and suddenly decides to be pacifist, despite making regular trips to a town where she can readily observe them buying jars of human childrens’ hands as snacks.

The slaughter is still going on, and she isn’t even isolated from it. Does she literally just not care anymore?

I have something to say. I, being a noob, have no idea how to watch the anime. If somebody could tell me how to watch anything, then thank you.

This girl meets two demons who claim to be vegetarian, and one who doesn’t instantly attack because it’s literally blind, and suddenly decides to be pacifist, despite making regular trips to a town where she can readily observe them buying jars of human childrens’ hands as snacks.

The slaughter is still going on, and she isn’t even isolated from it. Does she literally just not care anymore?

To be fair, in her trips to town, she does see CHILD demons buying jars of human hands and surely understands that those child demons don't know any better. The logic could also be extended to the adult demons who have only known humans as food their whole life. Add to the fact that she knows they need human meat to stay intelligent, and also knows that there is a demon whose blood can cure them of the need, and is a girl caring and naive enough to want to save ALL the children including the babies, I think she's being herself in caring for ALL life, including that of the demons who can possibly be educated and saved.

*Also, she probably ate meat at the house without much thought and sees the demons as being the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm disappointed with this. Goldy pond where? and yes where are the 7 walls? :( But that being said It still a tight story line. If they plan on just doing a 2 season anime. If they added the other arcs it would be like Black Clover.

Last edited:
The whole thing feels way too rushed. They say they diverged from the manga to make a better storyline, but all that was wrong about manga is present here. It looks like they ended up making a rushed and less detailed version of the manga plot.

No Context Neverland

fyc2.gif

If they were just going to skip an entire arc anyway, then maybe this would have been a stronger conflict if the season had started out from Norman's POV in Lambda with only short snippets of Emma and the others outside. Some neat direction choices here to show off Lambda even if they zipped through that too. I'm not even going to question why nobody bothered to check the Rubik's cube for those secret messages, but Neverland should have really leaned into the horror aspect more, especially when it comes to those demons.

This last minute attempt to yank at our heartstrings isn't working, bro. Genocide is still bad and everything, but to suddenly expect us to give a shit about characters they've been - heh - demonizing since the start isn't going to fly. I'm not even going to question how Emma and the others were able to pull off the Time Warp Varys trope, but I will say that quick snap to Kid Norman crying and holding the knife was really well done. I might have even given a proper shit if things weren't so fudgin' rushed from the word go.

It's like cutting out the middle Hamlet. First, he's in love with Ophelia and you have Rozencranze and Guilderstein and suddenly you switch to Hamlet murdering his father.

Season 1, Isabella was watching the kids and she had 0 cameras, yet she still managed to figure out was was happening inside the house because she was an actually competent antagonist. For the protagonists even hiding a blanket was a hard challenge.
Season 2, Norman manages to BUILD A BOMB while being under surveillance 24/7 by both humans and demons and had SIX CAMERAS just in his room and then escapes with ZERO problems.
This just to say that the problem is not just that it didn't follow the manga, but that the writing itself went to shit.

Back