Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

I got in the mood to play Brawl lately, specifically the adventure mode. It's still fun (mostly) after all these years but hooooly shit this game has not aged well at all with the sluggish speeds and other things like ledge grabs feeling magnetic. You can tell that the game really wasn't made with side scrolling beat em up gameplay in mind (some of the items actually hindered my progress if I happened to be holding them, like the screw attack badge) but a smash bros cross over save the world story is still a very neat thing to see.

Was gonna type up a longer post on brawl but as I was playing smash wii u to compare the two (short version: wii u smash is far better) I decided to play an online match for the lulz. Got into a for glory match almost instantly, and with little to no lag. It was actually playable! What the actual fuck? xD

Edit: I actually won a match too. Granted it was in For Fun mode but still, this is really surreal.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I forgot to say anything in here.

The game's great. Online was pretty bad for matchmaking but it got fixed and now I usually get 1v1s at the very least. I've gotten more laggy matches though but that may be from my side. World of Light seems like it never ends which is not technically a good thing since it can tire you out and there's not really any cutscenes like Subspace that make you want to keep going. Especially once you get a good spirit team going all you really are missing to do is finish the game or find spirits that can challenge you. The game is kind of built with this in mind because you get better rewards if you don't take a really powerful team to a fight that didn't need it, but after some hours of gameplay, even though I'm still liking and want to keep going, I'm starting to feel the weight. This mode is decent basically. We got no focused cutscenes like Brawl and no co-op in the adventure mode which is a huge hit for me. There's co-op in classic but it actually kind of ruins the themed classic modes the characters have so I don't actually want to do co-op classic.

I feel that even though Smash's strength is the multiplayer and party aspect of it, nintendo has done a pretty bad job at convincing players that are below casual level to keep playing on their own and become casuals, learn about the game, and maybe become invested by the game alone. There's just still no real reason (or tutorial for beginners that helps them comprehend the game) for any player to get invested. Smash is all carried by parties (and characters I guess). Which is fine but I think it's a lot of lost potential on what it could be, and it's already big.

You should get the game though, it's pretty good. If you've never given it a chance this is a good chance. If you've tried it before and you thought you were missing singleplayer in Brawl or even Melee. You may feel a little better depending on what you thought was missing, but don't expect that much of an improvement.

Some quick first impressions after playing this for several hours:

This is probably the best smash bros game I've played. The online sucks but the game offers a TON of things to do for a solo player, classic mode is a lot of fun and adventure mode is more challenging than I expected, making me have to go into other modes to get more spirits to use in adventure mode (pretty sure the spirits are usable between different modes). Really cool that they crossed a fighting game with an RPG style system though! Looking forward to playing more after taking a break because my thumb hurts...

Played Smash with my nephew yesterday (who utterly kicked the shit out of me). Thought I'd love playing as Ryu, but actually, Little Mac is by far the best character for me so far. His ultimate move is annoying in that you have to be right next to an opponent, but his normal move set is so fucking good it doesn't matter.

Also, playing as Pikachu is awesome too.

Played Smash with my nephew yesterday (who utterly kicked the shit out of me). Thought I'd love playing as Ryu, but actually, Little Mac is by far the best character for me so far. His ultimate move is annoying in that you have to be right next to an opponent, but his normal move set is so fucking good it doesn't matter.

Also, playing as Pikachu is awesome too.
Zero Suit Samus tho

f1x5a53cbl621.jpg

Well we're almost 3 weeks in and the only character that i think needs to be nerfed is chrom. he just needs a damage reduction. He's automatically better than roy just by math because he has the same moveset but a higher damage output, and a recovery that's impossible to challenge without mario or squirtle isn't enough of a trade-off.

Everyone else is fine, though some buffs would be nice.

Well we're almost 3 weeks in and the only character that i think needs to be nerfed is chrom. he just needs a damage reduction. He's automatically better than roy just by math because he has the same moveset but a higher damage output, and a recovery that's impossible to challenge without mario or squirtle isn't enough of a trade-off.

Everyone else is fine, though some buffs would be nice.
Dude, I can't touch Chrom. He's on the list. Also Luigi.

If you're not familiar, the list is the characters that will probably make me hate you if you use them. So just a heads up. There's a few others in there but I don't want to be that much of a cuck.

So don't use Luigi.

Singleplayer Progress:

Session 4 and I'm still at it in World of Light. I feel both Spirit Board and World of Light are redundant. Spirit Board is also broken for WoL, and kind of hurts it.

I like the idea of being able to get spirits through other ways because of the immunities and just the fun of it, but if you plan on beating WoL the battles just repeat there anyway. It's fun but after a while I don't see the point. Maybe it adds some kind of different challenge? But again, if WoL was more than just the battles (Maybe levels, cutscenes or some co-op aspect), it would be way much better and spirit board may be able to stand on its own. Some of the dungeons or areas are cool and neat though, refreshing.

Also miis need more options. Not just in smash, moveset or costumes, just in general. They've been basically the same except maybe color options since the Wii.

Dude, I can't touch Chrom. He's on the list. Also Luigi.

If you're not familiar, the list is the characters that will probably make me hate you if you use them. So just a heads up. There's a few others in there but I don't want to be that much of a cuck.

So don't use Luigi.
Just wait.

Been chipping away at Spirits, World of Light, and Challenges in between Breath of the Wild and today @SkyOnAnime and I got to what I presumed was the boss of the World of Light and beat him.

1w1pf3.jpg

A whole other large map opened up, World of Chaos... the Adventure mode in this is much longer than I anticipated.

I have so many mii fighters it's almost like my own game personally is the biggest crossover in history. Not yours, just mine and mine alone. It's a shame there aren't many new mii costumes.

Also finished WoL a long time ago. I rushed it for sure and I could barely take it. My condolences to most people who went for 100%. The final parts are pretty good gameplay wise though.

KEN IS SO MUCH FUN.

Once you learn his combos out of his jabs it's like finessing them with kicks, it's actually incredible. Pretty sure he's just plain better than ryu.

Back