Succession (HBO)

ZetsubouKaiji

Since conversations about this one are getting lengthy multiple posts, I thought it was time for a thread. That way we are not hijacking the TV thread. Plus, with a new season coming up, I think it would be nice to have an easy way to come back to old posts and bits of conversation.

=====================================================================================

Ya' know Kendall makes a really good point about algorithms. Actually, he made way more sense in that conversation than Logan. Most of episode 5 makes me team Kendall.

Roman: Ugh, he brought his whore.
Greg: The theater lady? Does Con know?
Gotta admit, on Greg's part this was naively adorable.

I hope it's a running joke about the shitty presents they bring to Logan, because they have given up trying to give him anything he likes. This one is especially hilarious because everyone brought 92 cent cans of those horrible jellied cranberries. Dunno if you Canucks know about this abomination that spits in the face of god, but the shit comes out of the can in the exact same shape as the can and will hold shape until you force it to squish into a red murder scene.

Roman: You are going to be high as shit.
You see Roman is the da real MVP because he shares the good drugs. I mean, I wouldn't just smoke a blunt he handed me, because it's Roman, but if I were the type, then I probably would get a bomb ass trip.

tumblr_n9ae4yVBNf1rsjg6go1_1280.pnj

Reflecting on ep 5 again, Ewan's line where he calls his brother an ex-scot, an ex-canadian and an ex-human being is a zinger

(And honestly some days I feel I like my future is ending up as an Ewan)

Reflecting on ep 5 again, Ewan's line where he calls his brother an ex-scot, an ex-canadian and an ex-human being is a zinger

(And honestly some days I feel I like my future is ending up as an Ewan)

Gotta admit, if I live long enough to be that age, forest hermit is likely my future. Even if I'll never be as awesome as George Cromwell.

1x1

I didn't expect this to be a comedy. The snappy combacks and sarcasm all around at every corner are definitely my cup of tea, and the actors are great. Interesting camera work. Roman is an instant favourite, but to be fair, as the wildcard, he has the easiest job there.

*The entire argument between Ewan and Logan*

I got a thousand acres. You've got the rest of the world.
You are not the arbiter of the truth.

This is literally the stuff Oscars are made of.

My brother is a fucking scumbag, but he's still my brother.
This needed to win all of the Golden Globes.

Last edited:
*The entire argument between Ewan and Logan*

I got a thousand acres. You've got the rest of the world.
You are not the arbiter of the truth.

This is literally the stuff Oscars are made of.

My brother is a fucking scumbag, but he's still my brother.
This needed to win all of the Golden Globes.
Yeah, this show just nails complicated character relationships. Ewan holds disdain for Logan, but there still is that bond/sort of respect/connection.

"Okay, you probably have quite an undereducated pallet."
Fuck you, Tom. I quite like California Pizza Kitchen. It's a place I don't go to often because there aren't many of them in my area.

Did I say I was going to fuck Marcia? Because I definitely would. -Sometimes I can't tell if Roman is the smartest character in the show or a complete fucking idiot.

Last edited:
"Okay, you probably have quite an undereducated pallet."
Fuck you, Tom. I quite like California Pizza Kitchen. It's a place I don't go to often because there aren't many of them in my area..

Honestly, I thought California Pizza Kitchen was a made up place for some reason until you said this. Now I need to go to one if I'm ever in the area again. For Succession.

With Kendall, I just love his introduction in the first episode.

It says so much about him and is a confirmation of a lot of your analysis of the character. The nerdy guy trying to pump himself up by rapping along to the Beastie Boys only to have it cut from his perspective to a very awkward shot of him rapping in silence while his driver tries not to be embarrassed for him. The fact that Kendall loves hip hop is one of those small details that makes for a more well rounded character.
If I ever have a tv show, I hope I get introduced like this.

- ep 6 [which side are you on], pieces being watched intermittently

"We're friends, I can trust you right?"
"No."
"Ok but on money stuff I can trust you?"
"No."

Stewey really doesn't even give the illusion he's going to support Kendall here, which in retrospect I remembered him doing. I guess it's because Kendall believes in him so much that I remembered this going down differently.

It is funny to me how often and frequently Kendall bares his heart to just about everyone on this show just to have it trampled.

I mean, actually, a character like Roman also bares his heart quite a bit (mostly regarding his dad) but then quickly hides behind a layer of irony or jokes as a shield

Kendall bares his heart all the time and then watches everyone else take a giant shit on it. He keeps asking for people to give him some sincerity, but no one will match his sincerity so he always shirks back a little and retreats to the language these encounters take place in. His shittalking also just feels... I suppose... so weak, or always goes badly for him because it's unnatural and doesn't fit his personality. He's a lot more serious than Roman, or even Shiv who like her name can be supremely sharp and cutting without a thought.

-

Also, thinking about last episode - Thanksgiving takes place at a completely different time in Canada. It makes sense Ewan would go out to visit anyway, because all his family is out that way but I'm a little surprised he didn't make any sort of remark about it especially since he's been dragged all that way anyway

ep 6 - continued
the 'it's just a wedding' convo really conveys the difference between tom and shiv.

honestly half the time Tom approaches Greg it really does come off he's courting him - weird questions like will you let me kiss you, asking him out for dinner, trying to get him up to snuff and 'bring him into the fold' and show him a new world... 'You trying to seduce me Tom?' "Yes I am." there's a lot of homoerotic jokes in the show, but the Tom and Greg stuff always makes me wonder if its on another level.

tom's black eye in this ep made me curious - it does feel a little out of place. it genuinely made me wonder if the actor somehow hurt himself and they found cause to include it. tom's actor has these big old eyes framed by eyelashes. they really stand out. they're soulful.

I think roman has joked about fucking or being fucked by every single member of his family except (?) maybe kendall. I mean it's possible he's made a joke about that too. He makes so many fast jokes I can't say I've caught them all

'When I had their monkfish I thought I was going to shit puke and cum, all at once.'
'That sounds... delicious.'

EVERY SINGLE TIME shit with their dad comes up
Roman: ...did he mention me?

Here's the thing about being rich, it's fucking great.

Tom being my favorite character. He's like a Patrick Bateman that isn't chronically depressed.
'It's like being a superhero only better'

That's a super funny way to describe Tom. I can see it

ep 6 - Which Side Are You On? - end

The end part where everything goes to shit is great. Kendall being delayed gives Logan such an advantage and he leverages it to get power over the situation. One person being in the room to watch the vote - one person not being in the room. There's a lot of reasons this hugely swings things out of Kendall's favour, but I'm sure we're all familiar with the bystander effect. And here it's not quite the same as the bystander effect, but operates off of a similar psychological phenomenon - people looking to each other and what others are doing for guidance. Often, it's not just what's being said - it's who is saying it first and loudest.

When it comes to saying things strongly and loudly - Logan is the expert. And for all the words of people who tried to comfort Kendall or say to go ahead with it, none have the courage to support him when it comes to it really mattering.

The framing of the question also works against them - "All in favour of the vote of no confidence?" is asking people to serve their heads up on a platter. "All against?" would also have people forced to speak up.

I love Ewan as a character, and how he rolls in and sets off Logan's alarms while barely saying anything. Ewan has a really interesting relationship with Logan here - full of contempt but also support. The little things between them are so heavy and complicated.

I also think we all knew Roman would crumble - especially with his dad's eyes on him, and especially without his brother even being in the room. He talks a big game but he's very fragile when it comes to this kind of thing. There is no way he'd be able to stand up against their dad alone in a room with him, with most of the ire directed at him potentially.

Roman being the final vote kills me. It's complicated. He's an adult, and yeah he should be able to stand up to his dad. The fact he can't make a strong stand probably also makes them lost other votes here like Lawrence, because if the person who tried to win your vote can't make a stand you sure aren't going to be the one to. But, well the whole business is an extension of family. He tries to vote, but gets cowed by Logan's behaviour - Logan who also shouldn't even be in the room, but where no one can move against his force of personality. At the same time, it's so demonstrative of the whole family dynamic here - Roman bashfully bowing out as soon as Logan starts threatening him. He's so intimidated when it comes to his dad.

This thread (and the television one) kinda feel like random words generator at times (will any of it make sense to me once I watch the respective episodes?).

1x2

Who knew all the characters running around, trying to fuck each other, and constantly stabbing each other in the back could be so entertaining. Anyway, the pathetic wet fart of a barely human being Ken is definitely my personal favourite.

This thread (and the television one) kinda feel like random words generator at times (will any of it make sense to me once I watch the respective episodes?).

This is where Roman would jump in and say context is for beta cucks.

Hopefully, it makes sense as you're watching. The quotes are pulled from the episodes and often are funny/insightful in context.

===========================================================================================

Shiv getting her feet rubbed radiates more sexual energy than any interaction she's had with Tom. In a show with so many messed up sexual dynamics Shiv and Nate not having sex is the hottest.

Last edited:
How many times has Frank been fired this season?

Worst coup ever, Kendall.

Rome, Romulus, Roman, WTF, bruh?

I kinda wonder how hard Logan was when he was keeping the president of the US on hold for a whole minute.

Back