[Seinen] Stories with villain MC getting away with evrything in the end

G

If you've seen Noboru Ishiguro's Aoki Honoo (Animated Movie) or Dan Gilroy's Nightcrawler you already know what I mean. (Funny games 2007 too, now that I think)

blueflames-1.jpg
61H2WTwIhNL._SY550_.jpg
funny_games_ver2.jpg

A story involving a villain, let's say Ryuuichi with a loose sense of morality, as a main character, that this villain does what he was supposed to and when he's done he's still doing fine, free and living the very same life he wanted to live.

For example, Imagine it like a death note where Light kills the squad and lives his normal life being a mortal god of his new world.

PS: The traditional meaning of Villain is used here. The topic is not about if they're villains or simply rational characters.

I'm not sure if any exists out there. Some manga are bleak and the villain wins, but the villain MC is rare, so it's a subset of a subset.
Maybe Black Lagoon? They are amoral criminals who always win in the end, but if you mean the archetype of a villain I'm not sure there is any.

That didn't help.

So, just to clarify, you're looking for an seinen anime that has a villain / anti-hero / morally ambiguous protagonist front and center who doesn't receive legal or moral comeuppance for their actions? And that possibly contains social commentary surrounding morality and ethics?

--

It's unfortunately not an anime, but Osamu Tezuka's MW involves a villainous main character living a double life with little issue (it's heavily implied that his villainy is due to being exposed to a neurotoxin). The Book Depository stocks it, if you're interested.

EDIT: An anime that might interest you is Terror In Resonance. The series follows a pair of teenage terrorists (and their stowaway) as they conduct attacks around Tokyo. I believe they get away with it? Can't remember, it's been a while since I've seen it.

Last edited:
So, just to clarify, you're looking for an seinen anime that has a villain / anti-hero / morally ambiguous protagonist front and center who doesn't receive legal or moral comeuppance for their actions? And that possibly contains social commentary surrounding morality and ethics?

--

It's unfortunately not an anime, but Osamu Tezuka's MW involves a villainous main character living a double life with little issue (it's heavily implied that his villainy is due to being exposed to a neurotoxin). The Book Depository stocks it, if you're interested.

EDIT: An anime that might interest you is Terror In Resonance. The series follows a pair of teenage terrorists (and their stowaway) as they conduct attacks around Tokyo. I believe they get away with it? Can't remember, it's been a while since I've seen it.

Thanks for the suggestion. It's appreciated.

Although, It seems finding a story close to Aoki Honoo's level -and even that doesn't go as far as the movies I've mentioned in this thread- is gonna take a noticeably long time.

Terror In Resonance's core is closer to a shounen.

You might want to try out Punch Line (anime) Punch Line Max (manga) The villain technically gets away with it in the end and does not get his way.

Back