Review the Song

Celtic inspired power metal? That's certainly something I can get behind. Although I can't say I found the vocals to be too memorable but I did think the use of bag pipes was pretty bad ass and their usually not even an instrument I'm a big fan of. So yeah, pretty alright overall, I liked the general beat at least.

---
Going on that trend, here's some more metal:
Dark Moor - Swan Lake (with lyrics)

Going on that trend, here's some more metal:
Dark Moor - Swan Lake (with lyrics)

Well, I like the background music, and I think it started pretty damn epic.
I have to acknowledge that the lyrics said, "I am won't." So... there's that. :pokerface:
I'm guessing English isn't their first language, but they chose to sing in English. So, that was a decision that had to be made.

I like when the female vocals come in. That may be my favorite part of the song, I'm guessing that is the chorus. But, I'm only 2 minutes deep, so I can't be sure. Okay, yes, this is likely the chorus. I like the chorus.

Overall, I like it. It has a good balance. It's one of the first times that I prefer the music over the lyrics, the weird phrases throw me off a bit. Otherwise, it's nice. Not something I'd normally look into myself. But it's cool, worth giving a listen to.

Next:
Voices by Disturbed

Listening to it whole day, it's pretty damn good.

BOTTOMLESS PIT WHEN

I've listened to it just few days ago, it's definitely a standout on Twilight even though every song on the album is pretty samey. Well, all the acoustic ones. But even though they all follow a similar direction this one is a standout because of the great use of dynamics lead by the voice, every time a voice changes the dynamics suddenly change along, and it gives it a sense of resonance within a song, even though its mighty repetitive. I like the vocals, and art direction is cool as well. It's great for OPs as far as they go. But as a song, it's pleasant but ultimately okay.

________
Neutral Milk Hotel - Ghost One of the most dynamic songs from arguably the best album ever made. Once again, listen to it loudly because bit rate is hot garbage.

Neutral Milk Hotel - Ghost One of the most dynamic songs from arguably the best album ever made. Once again, listen to it loudly because bit rate is hot garbage.

Of course I've heard this song a thousand times, it's in my top 5 from the album, sitting somewhere between Oh Comely and Holland 1945.

I love just how he takes the theme of Anne Frank on the album and just creates these surreal lyrics around it, and there's so much melancholy and hopelessness in there that contrasts the fuzzy acoustic guitar and horns. The actual music of the album always brings images of circus tops and stuff to my mind, but then you have lines like this:

"And she goes
And now she knows she'll never be afraid
To watch the morning paper blow
Into a hole where no one can escape"

and it just kind of brings that image crashing down around you. I'm not sure there's any other album I've ever heard that feels so visual, and this song is a good, if not the best (IMO of course), example of that.

Going for one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite albums of last year New Order - Singularity

Going for one of my favourite songs from one of my favourite albums of last year New Order - Singularity

I really liked the background music the most. It's what I listened to the most when I first heard the song when I clicked it. However, after that I looked up the lyrics. My favorite part is probably.

"We're working for a wage
I'm living for today
On a giant piece of dirt
Spinning in the universe"

Honestly I didn't hear it exactly since I originally was listening to the background music mostly. Although I heard the voice and some of the lyrics I have a hard time catching it all because I tend to hyperfocus on the things I like about music, the most of which is not the vocals. What I heard originally felt like it had little significance to me, since I am not big on love song lyrics and what I caught was mostly the chorus only. However, the song ended up having a lot more depth than I expected and I ended up liking it a lot. So thanks for sharing it.

Here's another piano song: Ludovico Einaudi - Oltremare (nearly everything this pianist plays is excellent.)

Here's another piano song: Ludovico Einaudi - Oltremare (nearly everything this pianist plays is excellent.)

I'm not too big on classic instrumental and solo piano in general but I liked this one. It's tranquil and it moves at a proper place, but I've heard better compositions that conveyed me the feels of winter a lot better. I still think it's a quality piece that has its place.

Going with one of my favorites from golden age of post-punk, The Pop Group - She's Beyond Good And Evil (even though I prefer other songs on the album, I think this one is most accessible)

Another one of "those" songs, just soaking and dripping with angst.
It's actually not unpleasant, I would probably have listened to something like this when I was younger. I don't like the way the main singer looks... and towards the end of the song he seems to be trying really hard to be like, "I'm crazy and forward thinking and I'm bringing attention to this social issue."

Overall, not unbearable like some things, but not something I really care about now that I'm older and in a different stage of my life.

I wanted to pick Spiral by KANA-BOON, because I've been playing Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 like every second I get, but the only version I can find has the OP Animation in it, which has potential spoilers. So I didn't want to do that. So I guess next pic will be angsty as well:

Rock & Roll Thugs by Icon For Hire

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard this on BBC 6 Music earlier and it's been in my head ever since... Radiohead - Idioteque

To be honest, this is probably only one of the handful of times I've listened to Radiohead. I've always seen there was a lot of hype around them, and for the most part, I've been kind of a hipster when it comes to music. So, if I feel like something is too popular, I'll put it on the back burner. It's not something I meant to become, but it is what it is.

This song just reminds me of basically every other Smashing Pumpkins song, in which I'm not entirely sure what is being said or what is happening. It seems like the vocals are drowned out by the beat/music. Which is something I generally don't like.

With this particular song, I find myself liking the music though. Which is something I consider rare, cause I'm all about the lyrics. I think the beat speaks for itself with this, and it feels very dystopian/futuristic. I like it.

I was torn between what I wanted to post next, I guess I should make a running list and just go down it.

Simon Wilcox -- Bored

I was torn between what I wanted to post next, I guess I should make a running list and just go down it.

Simon Wilcox -- Bored

I really dislike her voice because it's whinny and ends up sounding like a mewling during the chorus. I think she's trying to go for a very distinctive sound, but ends up way over doing it. The lyrics are pretty repetitive and don't hold much impact due to my dislike of her voice.

The instrumentals are okay, but nothing special. They're a bit generic and I feel like I've heard this type of sound way too often. They're done competently at least.

Also, it's a very short song with an abrupt ending that left me feeling like "that's it?"

Next song:

Prince- When Doves Cry
I'm surprised someone hasn't done this already.

i found the way the vocal and music kinda countered each other rather than the tradional harmony at the start rather interesting
the heavy to quiet thing ,,,,well i grew uip with nirvana so its kinda old to me
iv liked other songs by them the guy has a good voice

but tbh if this came on the radio in the car id change channel
actully after listening to it a second time ,,
yeah i could grow to like this song
i may just give it a few more listens il update if so

ok next song
im gona put up 2 links for this , a studio version and a live stage version

studio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxp5KJOHqmI
if you listen to this version please put your head phones on sit back in a comfortable chair with a smoke or beer or whatever relax's you, close your eyes ,listen and experience one of the best mental image movies a song can conjure

stage version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h4Wl8gupD8
marillion are a band of old school prog rock , the singer would dress up in jester suits or would paint his face its said that they were rly a sight to see on stage in the vein of peter gabriel and genesis

BTW this is an 18min song so u need so time for this one

Those songs don't all have to be English, right? Here, have one in French: Indochine - J'ai demandé à la Lune (it's got English subs too)

Well, the lyrics were interesting at least, I can't say I'm really too big on the vocals though and the instrumentation. Perhaps a little too slow paced for me too, I think I'm more of a person who's more into upbeat, and bombastic sounding songs. It's certainly not bad or grating though, just not my type of music personally.

---
Video game track, because eh, why not?
Gravity Rush OST - Douse Shinundakara

Back