[REQUEST] More helpful review filters

I feel as if on most sites this is a huge issue. It would be super helpful to be able to filter reviews and omit the extreme high and extreme lows. By this I mean no show has 10/10 in every category and I find these reviews utterly worthless. Likewise if everything is 1/10 it can be just some vendetta, and while in the current year we see lots of removing the artificially low scores, I find the 10/10 astroturfing far more annoying. When I see a review that says ANY show is perfect I know they are a shill or just not trying to give a real review. When I see a high review give 8/10 sound, 6/10 animation, 10/10 story for example, I can trust the person actually thought about it and is bringing an argument, and on the same show someone with a 2/10 sound, 2/10 animation and 6/10 story helps me realize there is a trend. That alone is helpful, but I can't filter that way. Also the "filter by helpful" isn't helpful because it is just a feedback loop of whoever left a review early enough when everyone was first checking out a show, and once those reviews are up, rarely can a more recent review that is good rise to the top that is critical. I even think being able to find a review "unhelpful" could help counteract this, or even help supress a review based on episode 1, when by the end of the season, a bigger picture review might be more useful, especially for those complex stories that have their pay offs near the end like Stein's Gate for example(the perfect example really, as the show can be polarizing, and I think there are valid arguments from the lovers and the haters which help me decide for myself". Heck, even potentially a filter for "median score reviews" could help, or even a graph plotting it all out for just a quick glance would be helpful to see what the trends are, if a show is niche, polarizing, overall beloved, overall agreed it has great animation, overall agreed the story sucks and so on.

Long way to say, I want to promote thoughtful reviews over thoughtless unhelpful reviews better. But hey, maybe I'm a jackass to even suggest it change. It just doesn't help me.

Hello,

I'm moving this to completed as there isn't something we can actively track or comment on exactly, but just want you to know that the feedback is heard and I 100% agree. The reviews on A-P are problematic in a lot of ways. The votes, imo, are the main problem as indeed, earlier reviews = more votes and then those are the only ones seen. We've tried solving this in a few ways such as trying to manually mark some reviews as "featured" to bubble them up, but voting also isn't super easy to see and do, and there's a lot of other problems too.

We're going to be looking at how to improve the review process in the redesign effort down the road, and will look at it from a UX perspective/likely conduct some studies and external research to get the best idea of how to approach it. It's a long term sort of project so I don't have an ETA to share, but fully agree/understand and we're looking into it.

Thanks for the feedback!

Back