Recap Movies

Hyogwa

What is with all these recap movies? I can understand it when a franchise is being rebooted and hasn't aired in years. However I don't get it when a series has recently ended and they immediately attempt to condense it into a movie. I'd much rather Studios worked on new content instead of wasting time cutting/editing/enhancing a show I've just watched. Especially seeing as it's rarely even an average movie experience.

Do you enjoy recap movies or think they're largely a waste of time?

Last edited:
I agree... they are a total waste of resources and time. They rarely add anything new... and why would anyone want to rewatch a two seasons anime as a 1-2hr movie? It's only worth it when they change the ending in the movie.
For example: the ending of the three seasons anime "Hakouki" sucked because everyone died in it! However, in the movie, they changed the ending, and the main characters didn't die.

I happen to be the one to like recap movies , and the reason for that is because what if the season gets a second season? I use to have at least 20 something anime’s of my watch list at a time . And then boom a second season comes out , I usually tend to forget things extremely fast so I like to watch the recaps just so I can kind of keep up with what went on during the show instead of watching 12 episodes which are 25 minutes

Is it really necessary? Probably not ( maybe there attempting to cash grab )
But people who forget fast like me , it’s worth it in some cases

Last edited:
I happen to be the one to like recap movies , and the reason for that is because what if the season gets a second season? I use to have at least 20 something anime’s of my watch list at a time . And then boom a second season comes out , I usually tend to forget things extremely fast so I like to watch the recaps just so I can kind of keep up with what went on during the show instead of watching 12 episodes which are 25 minutes

Is it really necessary? Probably not ( maybe there attempting to cash grab )
But people who forget fast like me , it’s worth it in some cases
Yeah definitely, my memory is actual potato and I forget stuff too damn fast.

So yeah, I don't mind recap movies.

To make money. If your show was popular and made you a lot of money, it's only natural that you attempt at selling it again. Also you can say it's a way to slow a show's dying hype after a show is over, in case you plan on making a sequel.

I agree... they are a total waste of resources and time. They rarely add anything new... and why would anyone want to rewatch a two seasons anime as a 1-2hr movie? It's only worth it when they change the ending in the movie.
For example: the ending of the three seasons anime "Hakouki" sucked because everyone died in it! However, in the movie, they changed the ending, and the main characters didn't die.

I suppose changing the ending is indeed a fairly good reason. Though the argument over which version is truly cannon/better will likely never end.

I don't get the appeal of smashing a whole season of content into a 90 minute movie either. The end product is usually always completely inferior to it's much more fleshed out series counterpart because so much content has to be cut out for time. The only good recap films I can think of are things like the Lyrical Nanoha movies and Evangellion 1.0-3.0 which add new content and don't just feel like a PowerPoint presentation cobbled together.

Japanese media businesses are still with their heads in the 90s, so they think airing recap movies are the only way to refresh the memories of their audience. They have a hard time adapting to the Internet and modern media.
It changes a bit with their discovery that Western markets make money without it.

Still, they make a profit with casual viewers and older folks, who have a use for it, so although there are fewer recap movies, they won't go away soon.

I'm one of those people who is happy for any content I'm given ; even if it's just slightly enhanced visuals with the fat trimmed.
But, also.... I watch a lot at once and reminders are super appreciated - so I find them at least mostly useful.​

I own only one recap movie and that's for death note, since some of said series was pointless, dragging it into two movies were actually more enjoyable. I always thought these recap movies were an abridged version of the series. I don't have a problem with them, yet if they take series to movie per line it becomes a pointless watch for me. guess in some cases they are just trying to prolong what happens to a lot of cartoons, they become forgotten or replaced by something else.

I totally agree, it just seems like a waste of money and resources and just a way to stall an anime if, for example, it needs to catch up with the manga.

I hate recaps altogether the only ones I watched recently were the Code Geass ones only the first and third ones were good the second one was garbage where they just stitched random scenes from the first 15 episodes of the second season.

I just skip them honestly I'd rather re-watch the actual series cause recap movies tend to leave out little things due to run time constraints. I LIKE THOSE LITTLE SCENES DAMN YOU!

Recap movies for a 12-24 episode show are pretty useless, but I do think they can be useful for longer running ones.

For example, I don't usually have time to rewatch all 75 episodes of Kuroko no Basket, but its three recap movies do a good job at highlighting the impactful moments and stitching it together in a comprehensible way. (Plus they made a bangin new OP that would change based on which movie you're watching)

It's meant to break a different audience into the series, usually for something else coming up. I.e. the first two Madoka movies were retelling the tv show for a different audience as a way to get wider set of attention for Rebellion story (odd addition, but Madoka might be the only time I've thought the retelling is better than the initial tv show).

Put it this way. You wanna make Anime The New Content Movie or Anime the Second Season. Well, only fans of the the original will be sure to tune in, but the aim isn't to be stagnant, the aim is to have higher ratings and make more money. So you release Anime The Movie or Anime The Recap OVA or something that goes over the same stuff, without having to necessarily reanimate or act it out again, to get a new audience up to speed.

Back