Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace

Looks like I'm going to have to battle it out against my mortal enemies, Seiji Kishi and Makoto Uezu again. Fuck the both of them, especially Uezu though since I'm sure he's the one responsible for AKG's train-wreck ending.

Anyone watched this yet? I heard there's a mighty fine trap here. Hopefully a well designed character I can get behind.... wait, what?

1:
This could've worked a lot better of if it was paced a lot more briskly, you know, with the pointless opening scene and the entire second half being spent on chatting in that dude's place. Seems like they really wanted to get to that cliffhanger to end it off. Will watch the actual investigation before coming down with a judgement on this.

Ep 1..........

hmm, it's like danganronpa/death note/psycho pass................

The trap hero is pretty interesting, I doubt anything can be said about the 1st episode that can warrant someone on the fence to watch it.

It's a mystery show that may or may not be focusing all of it's runtime on one case, the setup was interesting enough, nothing is resolved yet so if it's cleverly satisfying remains to be seen.

Well, there are a lot of detectives at work but the main ones that will probably solve the opening case and any others are aged 17 and 13 so theres that, for anyone against the genius kids premise........

anyways, I'll have to see were it goes.

Episode 1

Interesting enough. It's premise seems to be rather generic and he start isn't exactly new either but it managed to capture it in such a way that it's quite convincing. It's slow paced but it's imagery is quite captivating and the voice acting is believable. The opening and ending theme's are somewhat in line with the shows content albeit the ending theme is a little sad rather than mysterious. The male lead being a trap was silly in line with assassination classroom.

The traps friend seems like a likely suspect to being the murderer but I feel like the show will place it on the new teacher because of the scars on her wrists and her peculiar look, I would find that a little off-putting if it did though since not standing out is what a real uncaught successful serial murderer would certainly be adapt at. Either-way it has my interest and I'll keep watching for now.

So, Approved.

I'm still on the fence about this one. On one hand mystery is one of my favorite genres and being in Noitamina means it won't really suck, but on the other hand is directed by Seiji Kishi...

Episode 1

but I feel like the show will place it on the new teacher because of the scars on her wrists and her peculiar look, I would find that a little off-putting if it did though

So, Approved.

This is also the feeling I got, and I would also be off put if they went that direction. It was not only a very obvious observation point by the MC, but it was the only one. So if the 1st and only person the show highlights and aura of suspicion to the viewer is the culprit, I'd be worried about other "mysteries" going forward in t show.

But even so, it all depends on the execution of the conclusion.

I've only watched the first five minutes, but so far the animation and art both look great. The staging of the corpse looks like something from Hannibal which is always a good sign. Off to finish the episode now.

But even so, it all depends on the execution of the conclusion.

Honestly, I'd be hard pressed to say there is a way to not make the girl with scars on her wrists being the murderer not be blatantly obnoxious to me. I'd sooner accept her being an escaped victim or a ''plant'' by the real murderer. Of course she could be an accomplice to the murderer who didn't actually murder the teacher but is still in cahoots with the real murderer just like in bad 80's detective stories...

Yes, making a murderer stand out too much in a detective story is bad, mmm kay? Please don't do it anime, it's annoying and frustrating when we are treated like retarded little children from the get go.

God, I need to stop thinking of ways this anime could fuck up and end up making me hate it.

That episode was pretty fucking stellar. I was completely drawn in by the atmosphere. The music really helped to create an eerie ambiance. By the end of the episode I was on the edge of my seat hoping it wouldn't end. This is one completely twisted case that really does remind me of something out of Hannibal. I can't wait for next week to see the conclusion.

The only lame part of the episode was the bit
with the substitute teacher. She was obnoxious and it would be lame if she ends up the killer. Obviously she connected but hopefully in a less conspicuous way.

Just started watching and saw something, so I paused and looked it up.

In the beginning it says "In commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Rampo Edogawa's passing."

Little back story on who Edogawa Ranpo was.

Tarō Hirai (平井 太郎 Hirai Tarō, October 21, 1894 – July 28, 1965), better known by the pseudonym Edogawa Ranpo (江戸川 乱歩), was a Japanese author and critic who played a major role in the development of Japanese mystery fiction. Many of his novels involve the detective hero Kogoro Akechi, who in later books was the leader of a group of boy detectives known as the "Boy Detectives Club" (少年探偵団 Shōnen tantei dan?).

Ranpo was an admirer of Western mystery writers, and especially of Edgar Allan Poe. His pen name is a rendering of Poe's name.[1] Other authors who were special influences on him were Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, whom he attempted to translate into Japanese during his days as a student at Waseda University, and the Japanese mystery writer Ruikō Kuroiwa.
-Wikipedia

Now that I watched the first episode, I've got too many theories running through my head.

I'm loving the film noir look of it. Especially how each important character is introduced, and all the non-important characters are just shadows. Also love the soundtrack.

This reminds me of Boogiepop Phantom meets Another meets Death Note.

I'm not going to dive into the episode, but the characters themselves and what I think about them.

Kobayashi-
NMjQILu6fjlXd8OjHnjknPdDmywzElsLytP0aCVqZ_A=w625-h479-no

There is more to this person than meets the eye. What that is I don't know. However, the key thing to remember is that this person is beyond board with their current life. The MC read books, detective games, etc, but wasn't satisfied. Now that this crime as occurred and the MC is accused, life is exciting again.

I won't address the sex of the MC because I am having a questionable feeling about it. I think the mysterious appearance of the MC looking very female is key to the story.

Kagami-
yUyrXERHSEIuJCTPokT4qE64aPM39BaMbzp8Ju07emU=w857-h481-no

Nothing much to say about him yet.

Hashiba-
y_2-0YY4tJ663oaJa8aX2xPM3AaOuGS_xVDIWbEVFMw=w859-h484-no

This punckass b!tch motherfludpucker............Someone take his man card away and get him to a hospital to get the stick surgically removed from his ass so he can shit diamonds. Man alive! Never have I hated a character so fast. Maybe he's the real girl.

But I digress.

His overprotectiveness of his "best friend" gives me all sorts of bad vibes. This makes me believe that he is the killer or the mastermind behind it all. His overly obsessive nature to want to protect Kobayashi, to the point of trying to be with him as much as possible, makes me wonder if this is a mental instability that is going unnoticed.

Maybe Hashiba noticed that Kobayashi was bored with his life and, after a long time of planning, came up with the master plan to get Kobayashi to be the star in the murder mystery. Give his best friend the best experience of his life. However, I also think that the teacher, not a mass murderer, was killed and framed because he found out Kobayashi was actually a girl. Still to early to tell, but I think it's one of the two or a mix of those two theories.

Akechi-
BAnlol_Xv5Zz_d0I4TEEjw-x3wO7SoUMe3eKr9mnVNM=w854-h478-no

This young, bad ass Sherlock Holmes wannabe probably has it all figured out or is missing some piece to the puzzle. He takes an interest in Kobayashi cause he probably realizes that Kobayashi is actually a girl and wants to know why he's hiding that fact, that punk bitch.....I mean Hashiba is overly protective and may have something to do with this, or that having Kobayashi help will prove to be fun. What that pain that he tries to hide with medication is all about, I don't know. I think it's just a side story to give the detective some depth. Could his fate turn into Death Note and he meet his demise near the end? Who knows.

Last edited:
I feel meh about it after the first episode. I loved the creativity of the grotesque ''body art'' killings, but I didn't warm up to neither the characters nor the dialogue. It hasn't done anything particularly wrong minus the blatant otaku pandering teacher though, so maybe if they don't go down the totally predictable path in the case's resolution I'll like the next episode better. But I'm very sure it will go there.

:crying::crying: I'll be so sad if it does go there because there is a ton of potential here. I'd disagree about the dialogue though it got a bit silly at times, but generally well written.

I didn't think it was poorly written, but not particularly well either. It shines a bit more when they're rationalizing/figuring out the crimes, like

the segment near the end between the detective and Hashiba, talking about the killer's intentions and what was behind covering up the murder to the media,

but other than that it screams generic/by-the-numbers to me, with no particular flair to it that'd help breathe more life into the interactions. Then there was the worst example which was the exposition wall where Hashiba
said to the detective something along the lines of ''I know who you are'' and proceeded to list all his feats and miracles in a quick-fire fashion like he's some narrator describing a character, rather than a kid meeting a guy he's wary and maybe even contemptous of. And that kind of artificial exposition is a common mishap in anime for sure, but it doesn't mean I roll my eyes any less when it happens. This bit was particularly bad because of the above - Hashiba doesn't even like the detective so the ass-licking presentation talking to the person themselves felt all the more unnatural.

Anyway, I'd say the dialogue has done its job driving the narrative so far but it hasn't really done much more for me. If it focuses more on the debate/logic side of things and maybe improves a tad on character dynamics on the side, I'd argue it'll get better in my eyes.

Back