Peach Boy Riverside

The latest episode was only OK. Too much dogless Mikato and not enough Frau.

I think I am going to use this on all the animes I watch this season. "Needs more Frau".

Juselino is cute to.

Episode 3:
This feels like watching the Cliffsnotes version or some kind of condensed version. Or as if I skipped every second episode.

I think I'll put this one on ice until everything is released and see if it'll stay such a mess. I'd hate to drop it, because it's not like I hate the story or the characters, but the pacing and how the story is presented is just a hot mess.

Probably gonna switch to reading the manga, though. The first 6-7 chapters I read are pretty good compared to the adaption.

Yeah, It is jumpy. But Sally has a nice butt. Still waiting for Frau to kick some ass. Ogre-Nun has great punch. Can't wait to see her full power.

The God of Masks is bother adorable and terrifying. Still, I'm annoyed there isnt enough of Frau to go around this time, even hornless DD Ogre would have been nice to see. Instead we get the nun-ogre and the ringleader ogre, and some high ogre kid with sith hands.

because it's not like I hate the story or the characters, but the pacing and how the story is presented is just a hot mess.
^yep yep yep.

I was really hoping that re-ordering we talked about last week would actually focus the narrative like the director claimed, but this was one of the jumpiest episodes I've seen in a while. Basically a collection of strung together expository conversations, and the show forgot to have a plot. Super fun to watch.

Anyway, hope the manga goes well for you. As for this show I'm out.

Well i gotta agree, dislike the pacing (or rather jumping) a lot. Also the world itself feels not built at all. We get more and more characters introduced (or rather: puff here they are), who are all doing stuff i guess, then an entire city gets blown away and we cut straight somewhere else. Ogres are evil... why ? Because some characters say so ? Did they do anything ?
And yeah, i did read the interview with the director, and idk. If you jumble around chapters for specific reasons and end up making the entire show weird in the process, i don't think that's a good decision. I guess a lot of people already jumped over board, it's not like they come back once the ship finally makes sense.

Animation is also so so. Backgrounds look beautiful and the laser beam effects also. But the fight choreography was quite bland with the walrus fight. Like walrus could only punch and the cut straight to the after-the-hit scene.

Best character so far is either Sallys ass in those pants or Frau. On second guess i'll pick Frau.
btw fun fact for all you Frau fans: Frau is the german word for woman / used for adressing females. So if you would say formally hello to Frau in german it would be: Hallo Frau Frau.
So far this feels like an anime solely made for advertising the manga, like Deadman Wonderland. Will probably end somewhere random in the middle of an arc and never get a 2nd season. I hope i am mistaken.

Episode 3.
Redneck is officially lost.
Who the fuck are these people and why is the show acting like we should know them? It feels like a video game where you skip all the cutscenes. They act like this makes sense, but it does not. Like why the fuck are we suddenly at a fighting tournament? Are we just skipping over how an episode ago an entire city was obliterated?
Get it together, show.

Are we just skipping over how an episode ago an entire city was obliterated?

Yes.

The pro to this is we probably just skipped a lot of walking and Hawthorn's back story which none of us cared about anyway.

The con is we got a lot less Frau. The only travesty I am weeping over when it comes to this development if I am being honest.

I can’t even get through the 3rd episode. Gonna have to drop this one which is a shame since the rabbit girl looks pretty interesting. It’s like stuff happens in one episode and it’s totally forgotten about in the next. Also the unreal factor of characters being allowed to so easily switch allegiances with no repercussions.

Episode 4:
Yet another totally random tentacle groping scene and also, that 'falling on the guy and pushing her boobs onto him' is also a creative liberty taken by the director. I'm 100% convinced the director wanted to make her the main character to fulfill his sexual fantasies and fetishes.

I tried to like it, but damn, it's still a disjointed mess. Dropping it.

ehhhh no
i'll finish this thing, sure. but seriously, i don't think this arrangement is too good. im just gonna go with reading the manga once this is over since im definitely gonna watch this in the correct order, since it does seem like a nice story and i do wanna like it

I think Mikoto will become a villain or at least he should. Ogre killing aside, fairly disturbed individual I think. Also, I guess a nice backstory on whats her face, but eh, the Ogre's are more interesting.

Well, no Frau... dammit show, you are letting me down after I was singing praises for you. But I will admit, twin tails Sally was cute as hell.

The episode order does not bother me like some, although I DO dislike they played this directly AFTER the episode that ended on a big choice apparently.

SHOW: Which will you choose? Vengeance and murder on an entire race you really know nothing about, and only have the word of this mysterious boy you just met? OR Strive for understanding and acceptance of this race you really know nothing about, save the few interactions you have had with them which have been anything but pleasant. Again, strange man you just met asking for your cooperation here.

US: Ooooo decisions, decisions! Which would I choose if it were me?

SHOW: To be continued next epi-- "PSYCHE!!! HAH! MADE YOU LOOK! Have a backstory instead!

8a4524fac3bc597891dac34649be0709.jpg

US: *Fuming with silent rage*
fngry.gif

SHOW: What?
ulta_pulta_tambola.jpg

Ogre killing aside, fairly disturbed individual I think.

This. To be fair we have not gotten his entire story yet, so maybe he does have a reason for such vengeance, but he does take it up to a point where it almost seems like he gets gratification from it all.

Mikoto is the only thing that matters to me here so I'm glad he was focused on in this episode more in all his trap glory. Wonderful stuff. The gender confusion fuels me, I LIVE for it.

Make no mistake, this show is not that good.
tenor.gif

Another one to put in my "sweet-seeming, but secretly deadly" traps collection, which currently consists of only my favorite anime character of all time... and also this guy.

Honestly, he isn't even that great of a character, but he is a good trap, and he's kind of cool, so... awesome.

Do I have anything to say about the actual episode itself?

YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I'M ABOUT

Episode 4.
And suddenly we're in a flashback episode? Christ, show. Pick a time and stick with it already. All this jumping around is getting old.
And Princess Funbag's backstory. "Oh, it's so tiring living as the princess of a kingdom where it's nice and peaceful, and I'm free to interact with the citizens. Oh, such a challenge."

Talk about first world problems.

Episode 4.
And suddenly we're in a flashback episode? Christ, show. Pick a time and stick with it already. All this jumping around is getting old.
And Princess Funbag's backstory. "Oh, it's so tiring living as the princess of a kingdom where it's nice and peaceful, and I'm free to interact with the citizens. Oh, such a challenge."

Talk about first world problems.
This was the first episode aired out of sequence for some reason. I heard some Japanese networks or streaming services aired in proper order too. Typically with a flashback, a series will fade in to them by having a character reminisce, but that wasn't the case here, we're just suddenly at the start. I'm not really sure what that was meant to accomplish, but it's done and out of the way now at least.

I mostly agree with your take though, it's really not that meaty of a backstory.

Frau is an angel-demoness, whatever, it works. Also the vampire/ogre of blood had a nice deathstory.

Last edited:
Back