Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid

Episode 12

Whelp, I guess Iruru will show up.
I only know about her because well her being in a random piece of danbooru art I ''moderated'' tags on...
Eh, there's another character I can think of, having read the manga a bit.
The anime has significantly(and for the better) rearranged the order of some things, so this one character that would have showed up right after the comiket episode, had the anime followed the manga's timeline, may instead show up now.
Would have showed up before Elma did. In fact, it's technically part of why Elma shows up in the first place, and why Kobayashi seems so unfazed when she does.
So that makes for one little story sacrifice, but oh is it going to be worth the price if the anime really does with the next episode what I think it will do.

And it certainly makes sense given what that character's there for in the narrative.
Though judging by the episode preview, I suspect the anime is going to elaborate on this character's impact. In the manga it just kinda comes and goes in a single chapter. It would literally just have filled up a single scene's worth of time if adapted straight.
That's one of the things I really like about this adaptation: the buttering up of the source material.
That entire shopping spree on the first school episode? Anime original. That's pretty amazing, particularly considering how unoriginal and lazy a lot of filler content tends to be.

So Iruru will probably have to hope for a second season in order to get to show up.

Last edited:
So Iruru will probably have to hope for a second season in order to get to show up.

I'm fine with that.

Honestly, it would be awkward to introduce her in one episode anyway, it's far better if they have an actual obstacle to overcome that doesn't need characterisation from scratch in one episode because of how they fit into the story as a whole.

Being a fan of the manga, caught up on it so far, I have to say that KyoAni have done a stellar job with the anime adaptation. In fact I can say with utmost certainty (well more or less anyway) that the anime is superior version. It's really well put together, with some great anime original moments too.

I have a couple of episodes to watch before getting caught up.

"Maybe things have changed. Maybe I should reconsider the status-quo."
*Show comment*
kZRfqni.gif

Nah, I love the status quo.

That was a realization, not me saying it bothered me. Also, he mocked me for having to take my crazy pills. He can ignore me til doomsday for all I care.

I wonder how folks would've felt about it if instead the joke was how a dude with massive horse cock was thirsting after a little girl.
If it was a joke in a series in a medium not already infested with lolicon fetishism to the point that an 11 year old dominatrix doesn't even raise an eyebrow? I wish I was making that up.
Probably would not be taken pretty well, no.

And that includes the manga source material of Kobayashi-San. The anime significantly altered or outright removed most of that "humor", which is another one of the things I love about it. Even the worst episode, episode 6, is changed from the source material significantly.
Even the shotacon humor is attempted to be reframed in a more humoristic light(though I hate the "joke"), whereas the manga outright attempts to be genuinely erotic.
But the source material certainly explains why the fanbase is so fucking creepy, as that carried over to the anime, unfortunately.
What with how freakish the Japanese otaku fanbases get, it genuinely wouldn't surprise me if the anime's sales suffer due to what it leaves out, and I certainly want to see a series that strips out and tones down such content be rewarded for doing so.
So many crap series out there that I see such potential for greatness in had they gotten the same treatment as this series did. But I'll take what I can get.

Though I am genuinely going to howl in rage if it does get a second season, but then doesn't strip out or rewrite chapter 10.
Like, I'll get all old school BB Mekaku Shitty Actors mad!

Oh, they toned it down. I'm so impressed. Oh, wait. No I'm not. And here's why.

Sgt. Frog. One of my all time favorite anime/mangas. The manga is pervy as Hell. Talking panty shots and whatnot of girls no older than 13. What did the anime do? They REMOVED it. Didn't tone it down, REMOVED it. So no, I'm not praising that show cause they slightly lowered the creepiness of a pedo gag.

I'm no moralfag or anything when it comes to comedy. I mean I loved Prison School which would be a lot more disgusting than the likes of something like Diabolik's Lovers if I applied the same genderswap logic to it. The reason why it still works is because all of it's big punchline moments are set up by having bizarre and uncomfortable situations find new strange ways to become even more bizarre and uncomfortable.

I don't think Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid should be similar sort of show, just that it's sexually charged humor is amateur hour even when not accounting for moral implications. Thankfully that isn't a huge dealbreaker to me and I still think the series is really fun.

I don't think Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid should be similar sort of show, just that it's sexually charged humor is amateur hour even when not accounting for moral implications. Thankfully that isn't a huge dealbreaker to me and I still think the series is really fun.
Pretty much, and I think the director is well aware of it, thus the various changes. Hell, it has way less outright fanservice than the manga, too, which has outright nudity at some points.
I despise the shotacon stuff, but it is an overall small portion of the series, and even that is toned down to try to be more humorous than erotic.
And the lolicon stuff is actually almost eradicated entirely so far, with the anime going out of its way to put emphasis on how Kanna is a kid, putting in filler material for the purpose as well.

I really have to say I am quite frustrated with the disgusting "fanbase," though. Like, really frustrated.
It summed up in a picture, but "8 year old" instead of "11 year old":
_NOFFhSz1g2LNJHbHRhMoFqKt0CdzXYKbVfdK9NzkFo.jpg

Like, people try to defend it like Kanna is Nowi or something(though I suspect there is a link of inspiration for Kanna in her, actually), but

1. Drooling over Nowi is already fucking creepy, you creep.
2. Kanna is an actual kid, not an adult in a childish body. By everyone's standards in-universe she's a kid, and by the standard of any non-creep IRL she's portrayed as a kid, both mentally and physically.
You don't get to look at a character literally going to an elementary school and then pretend your goddamn sexual attraction to the juvenile character isn't what it is just because she has two-toned hair and stockings!
jcHVKyQ.jpg

The lolicon fetish acceptance really is an actual freaking slippery slope towards legit pedophilia acceptance on this medium in general, and this certainly isn't the only series where you can see this shit manifest in, even exploited by authors to try to pander to more of the "lolicons" portrayed above.
No wonder mainstream Japanese society widely views adult anime fans as perverted losers.

Last edited:
Episode 13:
I found the last episode rather meh but I guess it was a fitting finale. At least it wasn't too dramatic and the visuals were nice.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable slice of life show. Snappy humor, heartwarming, cozy and has consistently solid production values. My only real gripe is Lucoa. I found her kinda pointless and her relationship with her master was just disturbing. The Lucoa-Shouta moments really got annoying fast. Nearly ruined the show for me. Aside from those two, the rest of the characters were fine.

I give Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid a 3.5 out of 5. I would've given it a 4 but Lucoa just wouldn't stop perving on a little boy.

I guess I need to catch up on the manga and see what's all the hubbub with this Iruru character.

Episode 13
Yeah, this episode was pretty much literally 95% filler, and I love it!
They way elaborated on the chapters used was so good, and even what was used was changed to be much grander and impactful! The series as a whole had also been rearranged in a way that there was serious buildup and emotional payoff to this, whereas in the manga the stuff this episode was based on kinda just happened, and was much less impactful or noteworthy. Could have been done in a single scene. That's how much this reworked and elaborated on it!

This is how you do a fucking "filler" ending, as nothing bars the way for a sequel!
5/5 Easily among my top 5 or even top 3 feel-good anime.
7e86RNw.png

Episode 13:
I found the last episode rather meh but I guess it was a fitting finale. At least it wasn't too dramatic and the visuals were nice.

Overall, this is a very enjoyable slice of life show. Snappy humor, heartwarming, cozy and has consistently solid production values. My only real gripe is Lucoa. I found her kinda pointless and her relationship with her master was just disturbing. The Lucoa-Shouta moments really got annoying fast. Nearly ruined the show for me. Aside from those two, the rest of the characters were fine.

I give Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid a 3.5 out of 5. I would've given it a 4 but Lucoa just wouldn't stop perving on a little boy.

I guess I need to catch up on the manga and see what's all the hubbub with this Iruru character.
I second pretty much all of this.
I liked the character design for Lucoa, with the hair and the eyes, a lot, but yeah, the Shouta stuff was bleeehhh. Think I gave it a 4 in the end. Really really dug the action scenes too.

Back