Goblin Slayer

If I had to chose, Goblin Slayer would be my AOTY. It's been years since I've seen such a simple plot, setting, and cast executed so brilliantly. Simple can be entertaining, you know--and I don't say that as a passive consumer; I've been enjoying the gut-wrenching thrill and charm of every second of this series. Some of you folk would do well to drop the pseudo-intellectual posturing and analyzing anime like it's Shakespeare or Heidegger.
I loved the first 2 episodes so much I thought I'd check out the discussion here, but all I see is a angry mob of haters wailing on minority commenters with frivolous one-liners and snarky memes under the pretense of "having an opinion". If you can't respect positive reactions to the show without implying its fans are stupid or degenerate, then don't expect others to respect your overtly hostile negative opinions. Here's my 2c: Goblin Slayer is badass because he's badass. Goblins are evil because they're evil--and that's more than enough to satisfy a filthy anti-intellectual peasant like me. See you hipster anime professors next week. Don't forget to add your PhDs in Anime Psychoanalysis Studies so people know your credentials. Maybe attach your IQs while you're at it.

If I had to chose, Goblin Slayer would be my AOTY. It's been years since I've seen such a simple plot, setting, and cast executed so brilliantly. Simple can be entertaining, you know--and I don't say that as a passive consumer; I've been enjoying the gut-wrenching thrill and charm of every second of this series. Some of you folk would do well to drop the pseudo-intellectual posturing and analyzing anime like it's Shakespeare or Heidegger.
I loved the first 2 episodes so much I thought I'd check out the discussion here, but all I see is a angry mob of haters wailing on minority commenters with frivolous one-liners and snarky memes under the pretense of "having an opinion". If you can't respect positive reactions to the show without implying its fans are stupid or degenerate, then don't expect others to respect your overtly hostile negative opinions. Here's my 2c: Goblin Slayer is badass because he's badass. Goblins are evil because they're evil--and that's more than enough to satisfy a filthy anti-intellectual peasant like me. See you hipster anime professors next week. Don't forget to add your PhDs in Anime Psychoanalysis Studies so people know your credentials. Maybe attach your IQs while you're at it.
You know, actually you're free to say how much you liked it. It's actually the other way around where the "minority commenters" are aggressively defensive about how much they like the show and how everyone who says otherwise is just a hater or a snowflake or a elitist.
I respect that you find something worthwhile in it, but take a long breath and read your post again. Then tell me if it was really necessary to be so aggressively condescending.

If I got salty for every time someone criticized a shounen show I like I'd would be six feet under with a heart attack now..

You know, actually you're free to say how much you liked it. It's actually the other way around where the "minority commenters" are aggressively defensive about how much they like the show and how everyone who says otherwise is just a hater or a snowflake or a elitist.
I respect that you find something worthwhile in it, but take a long breath and read your post again. Then tell me if it was really necessary to be so aggressively condescending.

If I got salty for every time someone criticized a shounen show I like I'd would be six feet under with a heart attack now..

Ew shounen :troll:

There's no need for the passive aggressive baiting in this post. You make some points about the anime that are worth mentioning, but you undermine yourself with the trollish baiting because that's all people are going to see when they read the post.

This type of baiting is against forum rules.

Ew shounen :troll:
heart-attack.jpg

You're right about me being aggressive, and I apologize for being hypocritical there. I wrote it in the heat of the moment after seeing the mobbing in this thread, and it just didn't sit right with me. Though I don't feel like I was being condescending by simply saying that some of you were being pretentious and condescending yourselves. My first paragraph still applies. People are reading too much into this show, and I see that some commenters here that are just as aggressively offensive as the people you claim are being defensive.
I'm not personally offended that people critique the show, if that's what you're implying--I only made the observation that some of you are being disingenuous, pointlessly hostile, and trollish. If you're going to peg me "triggered" or "salty" or whatever, hold a mirror to your own replies in this thread and tell me you didn't take offense to my comment and other minorities who held different opinions. As for the "ew shounen" comment: What do you call that, ZetsubouKaiji, if not a display of elitism and off-topic baiting? Are snide remarks only allowed when it comes from prolific posters with clout in the community?

. As for the "ew shounen" comment: What do you call that, ZetsubouKaiji, if not a display of elitism and off-topic baiting?

That comment is a joke. I get how someone newer might not immediately understand that and that's a tough part of joining new community that's spent a lot of time together. There's lots of joking that goes on around on the forum and it requires spending some time around the community to get to know the members.

You're right about me being aggressive, and I apologize for being hypocritical there. I wrote it in the heat of the moment after seeing the mobbing in this thread, and it just didn't sit right with me. Though I don't feel like I was being condescending by simply saying that some of you were being pretentious and condescending yourselves. My first paragraph still applies. People are reading too much into this show, and I see that some commenters here that are just as aggressively offensive as the people you claim are being defensive.
I'm not personally offended that people critique the show, if that's what you're implying--I only made the observation that some of you are being disingenuous, pointlessly hostile, and trollish. If you're going to peg me "triggered" or "salty" or whatever, hold a mirror to your own replies in this thread and tell me you didn't take offense to my comment and other minorities who held different opinions. As for the "ew shounen" comment: What do you call that, ZetsubouKaiji, if not a display of elitism and off-topic baiting? Are snide remarks only allowed when it comes from prolific posters with clout in the community?
Snide remarks are only allowed when there is no directly hostile intent.

Edit: Ninja'd

I commend you for apologizing, not many would do that. However I don't agree there is any mobbing or bullying here. I think people have equal rights to say that they thought it's great as they have the right to say it's utter garbage. We don't have to agree with it, but I don't think that it's mobbing to shit over something other people are liking. After all, even if one side has great reasons to do so, it's kinda subjective.

Also, the shounen remark was a joke aimed at me after I brought it up. The smiley next to it should have indicated that. Basically I said that people are shitting over things I like too and the next person shits over it with a tongue in cheek. No offense taken.

Episode 2
I was pretty bored with this episode. The near silent protagonist has been overdone so many times, also the conversation between him and his former bestie as they head to town was mind numbingly terrible. Actually most of them are pretty much just filler for when they murder the bejesus out of the Goblins.

Episode 2:
Well, I can honestly say I'm more positive on this episode than the first.

Marginally...

It's still kind of a mixed bag for me. I guess let's get the bad out of the way first:
  • There's still a lot that's pretty generic without really doing anything either to set itself apart or to do that generic thing better than it's done elsewhere.
  • On that same note, nothing about the execution is particularly great. Nothing really gets better than average, so the show can't really be better than average. Which is fine, average would still be better than plenty of shit I've watched... but given that there's no shortage of fantasy, including dark fantasy, I'd really like to spend my time in the genre on something better than average...
  • So far, Cow Girl hasn't served much of a purpose other than titillation. Don't get me wrong, titillation is not inherently bad, but here as in so much other anime and media in general, it doesn't actually do anything to serve the narrative, and in fact rather distracts from it and makes it harder to take this seriously... And while I can see they're trying to use her to help characterize Goblin Slayer, I can also see that they didn't actually need her to tell at least the part of his story that they have told thusfar (don't worry, I'm going to come back around to the flip-side of this point in a minute).
  • For being ostensibly a main character, Priestess isn't really doing anything to actually earn her place as a main character... she's just kind of there.
  • Please just fucking choose to either be an actual fantasy world or a game, stop trying to be both. It only worked in Konosuba at all because everything in that show's a gag and/or parody, but it's just immersion-breaking when played straight.
  • That no one has an actual name is just annoying and makes it harder for me to care about anyone... you know how they say not to name an animal you know you're going to have to kill for food, because naming it makes it harder to kill? Yeah, that works for the relationship between an audience and a fictional character too, and it's going to seriously hurt any attempt this story makes to attach me to a character and then kill them off and expect me to care... which is kind of part-and-parcel to this type of dark fantasy.
  • Goblin Slayer even has his helmet designed in such a way that he doesn't have to take it off or even raise his face plate to eat... are we seriously going to these extents to keep the titular main character from having the thing that we as humans require most to identify with another person, real or fictional? Please tell me we're not going to have a fucking Kakashi's mask gag episode at some point >.>
  • Goblin Slayer himself is CG'ed way too often... I get why, his design is rather complicated and so the CG saves the artists from having to draw him a billion times... It's just frustrating since we're still at that awkward period in the anime industry's adoption of CG where they're trying to use it more and more, but they haven't quite figured it out completely just yet, especially when it comes to mixing it with more traditional animation. I can't really blame them on this one.

That said, it's not all bad.
  • They're at least starting to give the titular character some sort of actual character. Even if it's nothing terribly original or spectacular, it's better than him just being a walking wrecking ball with no clear emotions or motivations. And I don't hate the tragic backstory thing, as hackneyed as it is, though I do rather wish there was more to it.
  • I was pretty down on Cow Girl above, but I can still see where maybe at some point they might make her do something other than just flop her tits over a windowsill, be naked on-screen for no real reason, and just kind of exist as the "but I'll always be here waiting for you as a passive love interest that you'll always be too busy with your dispassionate crusade to notice" character. Okay that still sounded pretty negative... and I can't even end this point on a positive twist because I don't actually have that much hope that they'll take that extra step...
  • This episode didn't have uncomfortably, unnecessarily sexualized rape again, so that's a plus.
  • There are hints that an actual plot might be coming soon. The strongest ones weren't until the post-credits scene, but at least they exist.

Honestly, going into this episode I was thinking I might drop it after... but this was just enough that I guess I can at least give it another episode to get to the plot and see what's there.

• On that same note, nothing about the execution is particularly great. Nothing really gets better than average, so the show can't really be better than average. Which is fine, average would still be better than plenty of shit I've watched... but given that there's no shortage of fantasy, including dark fantasy, I'd really like to spend my time in the genre on something better than average...
You've just been spoilt by the entertainingness of slime. Baffled slime and tsundere dragon is baseline more enjoyable to watch along with good directing than boring-ass priestess and emotionless jackass in a can with mediocre directing and presentation.

if you're not aware of the comic and just going in then you're going to be needing that warning. it's too dark and "edgy" for me, I'm not interested in it and will bother with spoilers, it's nothing of any interest at all with me. even the comic didn't appeal to me and, as predicted the cartoon didn't either. I have seen worse so I'm not bothered by that, but it's not original and it is too cliche with what some find interesting or taboo.

Episode 1 & 2:

I've been hearing so much fuss about this show and about how upsetting it is so much so people complained to Crunchyroll to the point that they had to apologies and adjust the warning for it, which is valid if they didn't actually know what they were airing lol.

This was not that bad. The first episode was boring if anything but got better in the second half.

The second episode was more entertaining and I don't even mind that there is CG because it's almost good? wtf.

I thought about dropping it while I was watching the first episode but I'll stick with it awhile longer, I'm so tired of the happy go lucky adventurer anime that this might be a nice change of pace.

what can I say...thought it was a Berserk ripoff at first, but then I saw it for myself.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Episode 1
:
Deja vu of the Berserk chapter 221, Akame Ga Kill Episode 1, and most definitely DOOM 2016's opening mission, combined with elements of Danmachi and Konosuba, armor that looks like something from Darksouls but still CGI animated better than Berserk 2017-2018. Even with censorship this anime is definitely not for the lighthearted.

Episode 2: Not a fan of the intro with random 'Engrish.' We see puberty done right and some nice 'plot.' We get Goblin slayer's backstory and find out said plot-girl likes him. We get further reminded of Danmachi similarities. A fairly emotional and wholesome episode, compared to the first. Anda cliffhanger leading to episode 3.

Alright, so we have yet another DnD based story with a dark fantasy twist, based on a light novel.
The Protag is basically Doomslayer, if he had a Dark Souls skin, has a Guts-Schierke relationship with a noob healer, a plot-girl childhood friend waiting on him (goals amirite), a guild/quest system directly out of Konosuba and a diverse party of randoms searching for him, including the trademark big guy in the back and cute elf girl.
I get that some of this is meant to be satire of the fantasy/RPG genre, and it's interesting so far, but at the same time it feels like the story is extremely generic. Although, that's probably the point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Toy

Mediocre stuff but better than the first one. I didn't expect to get a background for the Goblin Slayer so soon, if any at all. It's basic stuff, but at least it gives the character something to stand on at the cost of some of his, er, mysteriousness. I also expected the red-haired girl to be utterly pointless besides providing the perspective of the place where GS is staying, but turns out she's an anchor to his past. Okay then. It's good, too, that the narrative acknowledges the fact GS it not really sane.

Priestess Girl is still overwhelmingly boring, but I liked the use of the Protection miracle to imprison the goblins inside the burning structure. Again, the goblin kills are fun to watch.

Elf Girl looks sharp and maybe the one female character in this who will actually be cool. I am assuming there'll be a regular party of five including the other two guys, and the body count will be provided by all those fresh, spankin' new redshirts at the guild place.

Back