Ghost In the Shell (Starring Scarlett Johansson)

Starletka

Silver Supporter
I couldn't find a thread if there is one, but I'm surprised no one has posted this here yet. It's looks pretty good in my opinion. What do you guys think?

I couldn't find a thread if there is one, but I'm surprised no one has posted this here yet. It's looks pretty good in my opinion. What do you guys think?

You're right, it looks really good. That's the thing, though. What most anime fans are afraid of is that the movie will only represent the visual aspect of GitS, not the philosophical element = a style over substance action movie. The major (haha) problem I have with this film is that it seems like we'll be getting an origin/conspiracy story regarding Motoko that is simply not needed and it's also something that has been done to death.

I don't care about Johansson portraying the Major and the whole whitewashing issue, since she's a cyborg and it's not like her adult look was ever Japanese to begin with, something even Oshii said.

Well, I for one don't much care for the original, so ...
Oh. So, you don't like the original classic, and are praising this In Name Only gutting of it. Here, this is for you.
a044404e9d10fca986885e877211bc5fb82ce8fc353e19e18aba5dc5513bb6ab.jpg

Oh. So, you don't like the original classic, and are praising this In Name Only gutting of it. Here, this is for you.
a044404e9d10fca986885e877211bc5fb82ce8fc353e19e18aba5dc5513bb6ab.jpg
Heresy. I know. I watched it once, and I almost fell asleep like ten times. It's not a bad movie. It just ... wasn't for me.
I'm not saying the live action movie will be good. I'm just saying it doesn't look as bad as people make it out to be. And, hey, the movie's not even out yet, so I won't judge it until I watch it.

I do care about the white washing of GitS, but it's the just one of many problems in how the movie looks to me. Why they're giving us some weird betrayal/revenge story for Motoko baffles my mind when there's so much material to choose from. Scarjo seems dead in the role from what you can see from the trailers too.

Also, fuck that remix they did of the original soundtrack, makes my ears bleed just thinking about it.

This film is going to be widely discussed so I cut out all the posts from the movie thread and made this new one.

One warning, though. This film is probably going to be pretty divisive, just remember to keep a cool head. Bash the movie all you want, but don't get personal with other users. With the merge now live I expect the regulars to set the example.

We have discussed it before, just nobody had anything positive to say about it when every update has been a kick in the teeth to actual GitS fans. I don't much mind the whitewashing but the plot of generic revenge has been done to death and doesn't really fit with the philosophy of GitS. The director has relatively no experience to tackle something this complex (and let's face it, anyone who directed Snow White and the Huntsman has questionable credentials). Same with the writers - they've never tackled a film of this magnitude and have very little screenplay experience.

Now, I've been genuinely surprised before but more often have been disappointed with Hollywood remakes too often to not be pessimistic with these variables.

The theme remix was the last straw. I sincerely hope that's not in the actual movie, because it's dreadful. If it's reflective of the executive decisions being made on the rest of the film, I don't have much hope.

I'll watch it, but everything I've seen makes it seem like it's just going to be flashy-action-no-substance.

I'll always favour the original because it was my introduction to existentialism, and because it was a heavily nuanced narrative on humanity's relationship with technology. It also happens to be one of my favourite franchises ever.

I wonder if there's ever in the history of time been a case where the studio has refused to let people review ahead of time, and where that movie has actually had a high score.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/ still nothing listed on Rotten Tomatoes even though it's only a few days away. I'm guessing the overall score at 40%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/ still nothing listed on Rotten Tomatoes even though it's only a few days away. I'm guessing the overall score at 40%

The review embargo doesn't lift until Thursday, so there won't be any reviews up until then. It's a pretty clear sign the studio doesn't have much confidence in the movie and are looking to at least get a healthy opening weekend for the movie before bad worth of mouth causes the box office to plummet like a rock in the second week.

I have a feeling the movie is going to be one of those weird cases where the movie flops domestically, but does well overseas. Japan and Asian audiences in general love the shit out of Scarlett Johansson. It'll probably at least make it's money back and maybe even a small profit. Which means we can all look forward to the Chinese backed sequel in a few years.

As for the movie itself. I predicted the tomato meter to be 45-50 percent with the movie being all style and no substance. If that does end up being the case, then it's a real waste of the Ghost in the Shell name. There's not much point in making a Ghost in the Shell movie if you don't include the philosophy, because that's what makes GitS unique. Without the existential philosophy you've just got a run of the cyber punk action movie. In that case it would be better to make it an original property, and not piss off the fans or invite the whole whitewashing controversy. If Lucy proved anything an original sci-fi action movie starring Johansson can make money on its own.

It's going to be all style and no substance.

Those responsible for the look of this movie obviously care and love their jobs. Just look at the amount of work and detail that has gone into all of the practical effects, impressive is putting it lightly.

Which makes it a complete shame the writers phoned it in.

I am mostly disapointed about the soundtrack. Seriously, Lorne Balfe? Both GITS and GITS-SAC had amazing music that I still listen to now and then. The music is so important for the feel of GITS, and this can not be good.

Look, gits is my favorite Franchise and movie.

I still Strongly disagree with the idea that this is whitewashing. The story being in Japan has VERY little to do with the questions of how humanity reacts to a post-singularity era.

The base questions of the first movie is what does it mean to be human when you can put a human brain into something that 95% mechanical, and what does it mean to be human when AI has the capability to develop a conciseness.

SAC season 1 focus on the question of what is real when simulacra can exist.

SAC season 2 focus was on globalist issues post singularity.

Arise focus on can you trust your memory when it can be modified by outside forces so easily.

NONE of those inherently have to do with japan. You can take any of those themes and apply it to American and Europen audiences.

Do I have high hopes for this movie? No, but neither am I dismissive of it on such weak grounds. Motoko's body has no nationality. Her character is whatever the universe (the books, the movie, the show) demands of her. It is real hard to get a feeling of how deep they are going to get into the philosophy of these themes and questions from the trailer. Those types of things are not something you generally put into a trailer.

Back