Dragon Ball Kai (2014)

Episode 1:

Time for a nostalgia trip again, but no amount of nostalgia is going to make me enjoy
these awful Saiyaman episodes. These are just horrible, over the top cheese with none of the charm that makes the cheese of the main plot palatable.

Bleah, hopefully we'll get through this part quickly.

For some reason I thought this will be remake but seems I was wrong. I enjoyed first episode but like Zetsu said, hopefully they don't stay too long on this part, i find Saiyaman rather annoying.

Hmm, it seems i am the only one who actually like the saiyaman episodes, it felt like a nice break from the endless stare off battles and had the most character interaction with normal people.

I don't know, I don't think they are awful but he does annoy me a bit. It's weird cause I actualy like Gohan.

I dont mind saiyaman saga, It's fun at times and its great way to make fun of gohan :laugh:

It's so strange watching this with the Japanese voice actors. DBZ is one of those series where I am so used to the dub voice acting. I still can't get used to Krillin opening his mouth and the voice of Luffy coming out. Tanaka hasn't done that many modern so it's really standout whenever I hear her. Even after three episodes it's still a little odd listening to the Japanese voice cast, but I like some of the details that aren't in the dub, like the way Chi Chi talks. It really suits her character.

The third episode was pretty good.
Not a ton happens other than some Videl learning about Ki and them finding out Trunks and Goten are already Super Saiyans, but it had some fun scenes. The show does get out of hand with powerups especially in this part of the anime, but I've always liked the simple clean transformation to the first level of Super Saiyan.

Come to think of it, this reminds me of how a week or two ago, Toriyama said that he was totally fed up with Battle manga while he was doing the Majin Buu saga.
Not surprising, considering how he was apparently originally planning to end the series with the Namek arc, but continued due to corporate pressure.
What he liked doing best was the same kind of stuff he did during the original Dragon Ball, pretty much.
I miss that too. So many memories of staying up all night, reading a friend's collection of Norwegian translated volumes.
That was back when "earth" actually carried value and wonder to the series.

This was something that was posted in the Hunter x Hunter thread and I thought it would be something interesting to keep in mind while discussing this season of Kai. In general, the Buu saga does have something of a different feeling from the rest of DBZ. A lot of the turns in the plot feel cheap and cynical. DBZ works because it always committed to what it was doing even if what is was doing was extremely goofy. The series always had a sincerity about it that gave the show a sense of heart up through the Cell Saga.

That's not to say there aren't quite a few memorable moments in the Buu saga, though. There are some definite high points that stand among my favorites in all of DBZ. I'll discuss those moments as we get to them this season and I'll also talk a bit about some of the awful moments in the saga. The power level thing was already well out of control by the end of the Cell Saga, but the Buu saga takes it to all new levels of stupidity.

Episode 4:

This is mostly a decent set up episode without much going on. We do get to see a lot of the characters reuniting. It been years since I last watched DBZ so this episode also felt like a bit of a reunion for me as well.

It's always really nice to see Vegeta acting like a total asshole. He just smashes the punching machine for no real reason other than he can't be arsed to pull his punch.

Hmm, it seems i am the only one who actually like the saiyaman episodes, it felt like a nice break from the endless stare off battles and had the most character interaction with normal people.

no your not the only one, I actually thought the saiyaman season, minus saiyaman was the strongest season of the show. It actually focused on the characters rather then them being secondary to the action.

as for this show, Im sorry have to wait for funi dub, its not the same watching it in japanese I dont care how talented goku's voice actor is.
Is there any news how soon that will be?

I only ever saw part of the Buu arc back in the day - so I'm happy to finally have a chance to see how the series ends.

I always wondered what was up with Toriyama, and this arc - I mean, the whole power level thing is pretty much played out in the Cell arc (which I think is great, and probably should have been the end) - but forgiving the ridiculous transformations, etc, I'm looking forward to (hopefully) seeing some more character development, particularly Vegeta. The way he
apologizes to Gohan for being a burden toward the end of the Cell fight was a huge step for him
. Also, I want to see more with Gohan. I remember thinking how he was such a shitty little wimp back when I was younger - and now I'm amazed at all he has to go through as a kid, and how awesome he becomes.

If Toriyama really didn't want to do any more DBZ, then how ridiculous things get here actually makes a bit more sense, and is a bit more forgivable to me.

Power level was only introduced to show how bad of a metric it was. As in he wanted to make it known that the fight is not over till its over, dont assume one person is stronger then the other.

yet we still make krillen and yamcha jokes to this day.

Yamcha is there for jokes man
Atleast krillin got 18 as achievement :troll:

Episode 5:

Goten vs Trunks was actually a really nice little battle. It was fast paced and compact without too much fluff to drag things out. It was a simple fight of skill and wits. I kind of wish DBZ had more fights like this because it was a fun one to watch.

As for the fight not being over until it's over, well that's why the power scaling being out of control sucks so bad because it absolutely turns characters like Krillin and Yamcha into a joke. It might have started as some kind of statement, but it eventually became exactly the thing it was making fun of in the first place.

only 11 episodes instead of 12? Animeplanet has 12 episodes listed, but I only see 11 on the websites so far. 12 hasn't appeared yet on the websites(like goodanime.net, gogoanime.net) and others.

only 11 episodes instead of 12? Animeplanet has 12 episodes listed, but I only see 11 on the websites so far. 12 hasn't appeared yet on the websites(like goodanime.net, gogoanime.net) and others.

This is be fixed now. There was some confusion with the numbering among fansubers and someone must have added an extra episode on Sunday.

Episode 11:

Even though it ends up being a complete curbstomp I've always been fond of Vegeta's fight against Puipui. The fight is fast paced, it isn't dominated by blast spam, the dialogue is short and to the point without a bunch of staring and powering up. Vegeta is pretty cool during the fight as well.

I do find it a bit ridiculous that Bobidi and Supreme Kai are so constantly shocked by how strong the Saiyans are, but I guess when they are working with data that is hundreds of years out of date. Still, I'd think both sides should have done more research.

Also, this episode reminds me that Dabura (spoiler for future events)
is a completely wasted character. He has some potential, but he ends up as nothing more than a snack for Buu.

Episode 13:

This episode is really ridiculous and goes to show why the power scale is so out of wack in this show. Yes, half Sayian kids are stronger than normal Sayians, but for the two of them to be so powerful that they can score damaging hits on 18 before going super sayian is taking it too damn far. Remember 18 curb stomped a surper sayian Vegeta without breaking a sweat. So unless you're telling me these two kinds are significantly stronger than a super sayian in their base forms then something is quite wrong with this fight.

They do keep talking about how freakishly powerful these two are, but why? It's not like they are every going to do anything useful other than fusion and that's more of a distraction than anything else. I just don't see the point of inflating their power so high when they don't even have a purpose to serve later in the story. At this point it seems like they're made powerful just for the sake of it and yet as freakishly powerful as they are they're nothing when compared to Boo. BUt they're also not as strong as their fathers which means comparing them against Boo is a bit meaningless because you could take the same measure with their father's and get the same result.

But character power aside, this episode is just silly because it too 18 way too long to figure out the true even though they were yelling at each other right in front of her. I mean really, it shouldn't have taken them going super sayian for her to work it out.This whole fight feels like a filler-ish waste of time.

Dub HYPE

Man I love the Sayaman arc. Charterer building rather then just fighting. (even if sayaman himself is beyond cringe)

Uh am I confused?
I have watched 61 episodes of DBZ kai and the show isnt over yet.

Heck, the spirit bomb has not even been mentioned yet. I thought last week there was far to much stuff left to be put into one more episode and this last one that came out half an hour ago proves that.

Uh am I confused?
I have watched 61 episodes of DBZ kai and the show isnt over yet.

Heck, the spirit bomb has not even been mentioned yet. I thought last week there was far to much stuff left to be put into one more episode and this last one that came out half an hour ago proves that.
The international cut of Kai "The Final Chapters" has more episodes (69) than the Japanese version (61).

Back