Cooking and Recipe Discussion

Never knew that was a thing, now I want it... :o
It's pretty alright stuff - not anything like a full yeast crust, but still good in its own way and prolly better for you than one of the premade crusts. Could prolly attempt to make it with a whole wheat flour or one of the higher gluten ones for funsies

Looks like I'm gonna be making some good progress on how to cook things that are actually good and not some kind of monstrosity of bizarre combinations. Was talking with my mom about that and I think we're going to start with dough (in general, because there's so many things I could do with it and it's relatively simple) and after that will probably be something along the lines of burger meat once we get a pack of some of those clear plastic gloves people use cause there's all sorts of things I can do with that too.

Also did make some minor cooking progress not too long ago, finally learned how to cook bacon in a pan properly! That day I was doing a sort of homemade roast beef and cheese sandwich (similar to what you can get at Arby's) and I wanted to throw some bacon on there. Made another roast beef and cheese sandwich today too, this time without bacon but I was using up the rest of the roast beef so it was more like the double beef and cheese sandwich I'd get there. Main difference between this and the Arby's sandwich is that I had to use Tostito's Queso sauce because we didn't have a normal cheese sauce (it still works great) and instead of whatever special sauce that they use I used a horseradish sauce. I wish I had some kind of equivalent to the "Arby's Sauce" that they use.

When I learn how to do burgers I'm going to try something interesting with it. You know those Taco Bell Quesaritos? I'm going to do something like that but with burger meat. Basically what I'll do is I'll cook the burger as normal, then chop it up into really small pieces or something similar to ground taco beef but this is going to be after cooking it, to have the meat itself as close to a burger as possible if that makes sense. Then I'm gonna take the cheese I normally have on homemade burgers (when we manage to get it anyways, it's this really good "buffalo wing cheddar"), melt that shit and pour it in to use it as a cheese sauce. Only thing I'm not sure of is if it'll mesh well with the sour cream and rice which also go in there, but honestly it's the same concept as when you order the shredded beef quesarito but just a bit different so I think it'll work. If Taco Bell won't sell quesaritos I'll make my own!

This was going to go in WMMD but after this turned into a lengthy ramble I decided it'd fit better here instead.

Looks like I'm gonna be making some good progress on how to cook things that are actually good and not some kind of monstrosity of bizarre combinations. Was talking with my mom about that and I think we're going to start with dough (in general, because there's so many things I could do with it and it's relatively simple) and after that will probably be something along the lines of burger meat once we get a pack of some of those clear plastic gloves people use cause there's all sorts of things I can do with that too.

Also did make some minor cooking progress not too long ago, finally learned how to cook bacon in a pan properly! That day I was doing a sort of homemade roast beef and cheese sandwich (similar to what you can get at Arby's) and I wanted to throw some bacon on there. Made another roast beef and cheese sandwich today too, this time without bacon but I was using up the rest of the roast beef so it was more like the double beef and cheese sandwich I'd get there. Main difference between this and the Arby's sandwich is that I had to use Tostito's Queso sauce because we didn't have a normal cheese sauce (it still works great) and instead of whatever special sauce that they use I used a horseradish sauce. I wish I had some kind of equivalent to the "Arby's Sauce" that they use.

When I learn how to do burgers I'm going to try something interesting with it. You know those Taco Bell Quesaritos? I'm going to do something like that but with burger meat. Basically what I'll do is I'll cook the burger as normal, then chop it up into really small pieces or something similar to ground taco beef but this is going to be after cooking it, to have the meat itself as close to a burger as possible if that makes sense. Then I'm gonna take the cheese I normally have on homemade burgers (when we manage to get it anyways, it's this really good "buffalo wing cheddar"), melt that shit and pour it in to use it as a cheese sauce. Only thing I'm not sure of is if it'll mesh well with the sour cream and rice which also go in there, but honestly it's the same concept as when you order the shredded beef quesarito but just a bit different so I think it'll work. If Taco Bell won't sell quesaritos I'll make my own!

This was going to go in WMMD but after this turned into a lengthy ramble I decided it'd fit better here instead.

sounds good and pretty impressive.
tho i was kinda appalled that you had to learn how to cook bacon!!! but then i noticed the word "properly" and i was ahhh ok!
its true many people don't cook bacon properly. i myself still struggle to get it crispy without it being hard.

i visited America a few years back and i was quite surprised to find out that American bacon and English bacon are 2 very different things!
i really like American style bacon but sadly its impossible to get here in Lincolnshire.
i got my butcher to replicate the cut and i tried to cook it and tho it came out ok it just wasn't the same!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

been making myself chicken wraps lately
i get a pre cooked spit roast chicken from Morrisons (one of the extra tasty ones), hack off one side of the breast and slice it length ways!
i then take a supermarket mini onion bargie and slice it lengthways into 3 or 4 bits and a tomato sliced the same.

warm up the frying pan to a medium heat (4 out of 6 on my cooker settings) then add a skinny table spoon of oil (olive)
put in the chicken, onion bargie and tomato, then add lots of soy sauce and fry till the soy sauce goes sticky/gooey.
then empty the pan on to a wrap bread!
add sauce to taste, roll it up, cut into bite sized sections and enjoy!

i have no idea how healthy or unhealthy this is but it tastes great and is easy to eat while watching tv.

First time baking bread today! My mom helped me with it.
IMG_1219.JPG
I'd say it turned out pretty good!

Your first time baking bread.. dayum, well done!
The beginning of a bread adventure~
Yup! General idea is that hopefully once I really get the hang of this I could make some when I'm bored and even if I don't eat it right away that's okay cause my parents can eat it when they get home :-)

Well done! Looks good.
It turned out very good! We had all sorts of issues getting it to raise though.

More bread, did a good chunk of this myself with my mom working on some other aspects of it like the seasonings.
IMG_1220highquality.JPG
Once again turned out pretty good!

More bread, did a good chunk of this myself with my mom working on some other aspects of it like the seasonings.
IMG_1220highquality.JPG
Once again turned out pretty good!
God Vega I'm so fucking proud of your bread baking this shit is rad dude

God Vega I'm so fucking proud of your bread baking this shit is rad dude
Thank you!!! :-)

This may be my last bread pic for a while unless I do something different than plain bread as I don't want to spam the thread with the same thing, but this bread today I made ENTIRELY myself this time:
image0.jpg
Didn't raise very high but that's okay, I'm going to cut one into a square and use that for my sandwich for dinner tonight!

This may be my last bread pic for a while unless I do something different than plain bread as I don't want to spam the thread with the same thing, but this bread today I made ENTIRELY myself this time:
image0.jpg
Didn't raise very high but that's okay, I'm going to cut one into a square and use that for my sandwich for dinner tonight!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I'm so proud of you!!! Looks great tbh

image0.jpg
I used to eat ciabatta every day. Looks awesome!

Well, looks like my brother and I cut and cooked this huge pumpkin so we can make pumpkin squares and other goodies. Cause it would be boring and wasteful just to make it into a Jack o Lantern, so I'm glad we're making something delicious out of it.

Made a burger today! Almost fucked up due to partially breaking trying to get it out of the plastic wrap (this is a patty that my mom made and put in the freezer) but it stayed together and turned out good. Pretty sure this turned out just about medium well (I usually go for either medium or medium well burgers). For seasonings I used basic salt and pepper, cajun (the kind you can buy at Penzy's), and after the burger was cooked I put some of this seasoning in there:
91k9puxMcUL._SX425_.jpg
My parents and I got kind of addicted to this seasoning (especially me) after we discovered it at a restaurant we used to frequent for burgers pre-covid. Next spoiler tag is a pic of the burger itself I hastily took after finishing the first half.
image0.jpg

@StanOfFandom Here's the post you've been waiting for!

I just got done eating my smashburgers and they turned out absolutely fantastic, here's a pic:
image0.jpg
Based this off of several youtube videos I watched:
Prepare buns first:
Toast buns
Put condiments/sauce on the bun

Prepare meat:
Spread vegetable oil on cast iron pan
Heat up cast iron pan on really high setting, pan is ready when oil starts to smoke or is otherwise extremely hot
Shape meat into 1.5-2 ounce balls, season with salt/pepper
Place balls onto pan, immediately squish them down with large scraper spatula
When juices start bubbling through, flip
Immediately place american cheese (if you want cheese)
Once cheese melts, remove from pan and place on bun
Assemble

There's all sorts of different ways you can do it. Whatever you do you want to start cooking the meat last since it'll cook really fast. Hard part is trying to flip cause you need to scrape it so that the "crust" of the patty won't stick to your pan. Speaking of pans I used a cast iron griddle. I also recommend watching a few youtube videos before doing it, that's what I did and as you can see it turned out well!

Hate thanksgiving, but I love a reason to cook. Spent a solid three-ish hours making dinner today.

95c4729768617d7348e5a80f96781758ff604913.jpg

Back