Book Discussion

That would be great if he did. Although even if he does make another I will have to wait a while for a fan translation.

I imagine it will be a few years even if he decides to "dirty" his hands with fantasy again.

Not really. He did not write fantasy since 1998 or smth like that I think. And rumors are he is writing next Witcher book right now. Considering the game's success it will be translated into English asap ;-)

Not really. He did not write fantasy since 1998 or smth like that I think. And rumors are he is writing next Witcher book right now. Considering the game's success it will be translated into English asap ;-)

Oh! Thank you my friend, I hadn't heard the rumor he was writing a new one. It took them so long to translate the other ones, even the fan ones. The official translation of The Tower of the Swallow translated into English 2016, Lady of the Lake 2017, and no date for Season of Storms. I had to read the fan translations as I don't have the patience for that.

Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson

I read 33% od the first book. So far it's awesome. I worry a bit that it might get cliche high fantasy at some point (mirrored struggles of protagonists and so on) but so far it's great. I love the totally different world and how it's not rubbed in the reader's face but only hinted at times. For instance when it turns out that pull animals are giant crabs, not bulls :D

The Red Queen's War continues to be confusing with its setting. But it is by now very clear that this is some sort of medieval fantasy mirror to our own. On the second book now.
The "hints" are little droplets here and there, and then the occasional jarring splash of difference.
Fucking sci-fi and magic at the same time hidden under the surface, and the pope is a woman.

Finished reading Mort a little while ago. Probably my favorite Discworld book so far and maybe even my favorite novel in general. Want to read Sourcery soon, but I think I need a short break from these.

Finished reading Mort a little while ago. Probably my favorite Discworld book so far and maybe even my favorite novel in general. Want to read Sourcery soon, but I think I need a short break from these.
Which characters does Mort focus on?

I read 33% od the first book. So far it's awesome. I worry a bit that it might get cliche high fantasy at some point (mirrored struggles of protagonists and so on) but so far it's great. I love the totally different world and how it's not rubbed in the reader's face but only hinted at times. For instance when it turns out that pull animals are giant crabs, not bulls :D

It won't. Each character has their own individual struggles and how they react to them. There's always tension and friction between protagonists due to their ideological, cultural and class differences. No struggle is ever the same, though they might be able to relate it's difficult to put themselves in each others shoes simply because they've had different childhoods and issues.

Chulls are cute.

If you like the slow-burn hints you'll love the second book, Words of Radiance. It hints to a wider cosmology and the nature of their gods. Also, Wit - quite possibly the most interesting character. Everything he says holds meaning on a grander scale than Roshar.

If you like the slow-burn hints you'll love the second book, Words of Radiance. It hints to a wider cosmology and the nature of their gods.

The best part of the books is how all the time I feel like I'm on a brink of understanding how the cosmology ties in with the story but it eludes me. I love it.
Also at this point (50% into the first book) it's pretty obvious that spirits are waking up, gaining consciousness and once they do they will regard humans are the imperfect scourge that must be wiped because they hate lies and half-truths. And that it's a cycle - that little wisp following Kaldan makes that pretty obvious. It's rather annoying how Kaldan is missing all the hints because he is so focused on his shitty situation, but totally believable since he doesn't have any historical background. Which makes following the scholar lady so much more frustrating because she does have the background but is missing the piece Kaldan has :D

Also, Wit - quite possibly the most interesting character. Everything he says holds meaning on a grander scale than Roshar.

Spoiler much? I'm kidding, it's pretty obvious that he is taking part in at least two conspiracies just by the way he talked to
and about that fragile second son before the Chasmfiend hunt (I'm bad with names). Totally told us who is the conspirator and will be the backstabber if you ask me. But don't say anything I like the suspense.

r8 my literature for philosophy of politics exam I'm due in a month together with 4 other exams

L. Strauss - History of Philosophy of Politics
Aristotle - Politics
Machiavelli - The Prince
T. Morus - Utopia
Hobbes - Leviathan
J. Locke - Two Treaties of Government
Spinoza - Theological-Political & Political Treatise
J. J. Rousseau - Discourse on The Origin of Inequality
J. J. Rousseau - The Social Contract
Immanuel Kant - Political Writings
Hegel - Elements of the Philosophy of Right
John Stuart Mill - On Liberty
John Stuart Mill - Essays
Marx - Philosophical-Political Essays

just kill me
now thats a reading list for citizens

Finished that storming book and, to my ultimate dismay, the third one is not out yet. I was so sure it was... what will I read now?

PS Stormlight would adapt perfectly into an anime series.

Finished that storming book and, to my ultimate dismay, the third one is not out yet. I was so sure it was... what will I read now?
Something Le Guin maybe?
I had the same problem having finished the second book too (which was actually better than the first one), but wanted to read something with nicer language so I just started re-reading the Eartsea Saga knowing of nothing else that would fulfill that criteria.

Something Le Guin maybe?
I had the same problem having finished the second book too (which was actually better than the first one), but wanted to read something with nicer language so I just started re-reading the Eartsea Saga knowing of nothing else that would fulfill that criteria.

Sadly I read Earthsea Saga (unparalleled skill with word weaving, she could describe porta potty and it would sound like a hypnotizing poem) and somehow I cannot dig into her other books. I was wondering about King's "under the Dome". It's supposed to be quite good.

Sadly I read Earthsea Saga (unparalleled skill with word weaving, she could describe porta potty and it would sound like a hypnotizing poem) and somehow I cannot dig into her other books.
I've read a lot of her books and it may indeed be hard to pick the right one to get into her numerous Hainish works or other series, especially for non native-English speakers. 'Lathe of Heaven' or 'The Left Hand of Darkness' are often mentioned as very good works of hers, but I for example couldn't really get that much enjoyment out of them; the first being not that interesting and the second one probably exceeding my reading skills too much (thankfully my reading skills have improved quite a bit since I last read it so it might re-read it soon). And let's not talk about 'Always Coming Home', that's far above my capabilities.
Another of her well received works is 'The Dispossessed', and this one was actually the book that got me started with her Hainish works. Maybe start there? My absolute favourite of her books is 'Four Ways to Forgiveness', a collection of four short stories, love this one.
I couldn't really get much into 'Lavinia' or 'The Telling'.

I've read a lot of her books and it may indeed be hard to pick the right one to get into her numerous Hainish works or other series, especially for non native-English speakers. 'Lathe of Heaven' or 'The Left Hand of Darkness' are often mentioned as very good works of hers, but I for example couldn't really get that much enjoyment out of them; the first being not that interesting and the second one probably exceeding my reading skills too much (thankfully my reading skills have improved quite a bit since I last read it so it might re-read it soon). And let's not talk about 'Always Coming Home', that's far above my capabilities.
Another of her well received works is 'The Dispossessed', and this one was actually the book that got me started with her Hainish works. Maybe start there? My absolute favourite of her books is 'Four Ways to Forgiveness', a collection of four short stories, love this one.
I couldn't really get much into 'Lavinia' or 'The Telling'.

Hehehe, please. I read Hillman's "Oedipus revisited" in original and I live with my mind untangled enough to tell the story. I don't think Le Guin has anything on me.

earthsea saga ?

dont suppose thats anything todo with the the ghibli movie tales from earthsea is it ? or i should say is ghibli's tales of taken from there ?

earthsea saga ?

dont suppose thats anything todo with the the ghibli movie tales from earthsea is it ? or i should say is ghibli's tales of taken from there ?
Gedo Senki has absolutely nothing in common with the Eartsea Saga, even if it was taken as the inspiration for the movie by Goro Miyazaki, even Le Guin herself said so, no kidding.
Hehehe, please. I read Hillman's "Oedipus revisited" in original and I live with my mind untangled enough to tell the story. I don't think Le Guin has anything on me.
If your mastery of the English language exceeds mine utterly and completely, good for you. :smile:
I am just quite sure that my capacity to understand more complex or sophisticated concepts in a foreign language is not something to brag about overall.

If your mastery of the English language exceeds mine utterly and completely, good for you. :smile:
I am just quite sure that my capacity to understand more complex or sophisticated concepts in a foreign language is not something to brag about overall.

Well, first 4 pages of the Oedipus took me two days of utter concentration to understand. So I guess anyone could do it with enough dedication.

Back