Best Short-Episode ?

MintyAmbitions

What is the best 'short episode series [or mini-series even] that you have watched?

I have to admit I'm somehow oddly not much as keen of minis when they're just shorties of a normal-normal length series. [ Exceptions apply of course. I can enjoy a good one. And who knows maybe it's luck of the draw depending on if it is liked or not, and maybe I'm assuming wrong and I've liked more than I haven't or haven't given enough chances idk]

Some stories I feel just lend themselves to being so so short and cute others feel like they NEEDED more but didn't get it. Others even while short manage to almost overstay their welcome.​

Shorts are love, shorts are LIFE. Honestly short anime doesn't get enough credit because there's a numerous amount that are underrated. The fact they don't take up too much of your time is also a positive to me.

Most people know them for the comedy or quirkiness, but I've found a couple of more serious gems along the way.

Serious Shorts:

Tabi Machi Late Night Show - 3rd episode hits me in the damn feels every time but this is a really emotionally impactful short to me in general. Simplicity at it's finest, with true grace and elegance.

Rilakkuma and Kaoru-san - Too wholesome for my heart, and one of my favourite things this year. The stop motion animation just adds extra awesomeness.

She and Her Cat: Everything Flows - This is Shinkai's masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. If you are a pet owner, this is an absolute must watch.

Space Patrol Luluco - Yeah, I know it's probably cliche of me to put it here, but c'mon it's imaishi. Bringing the heart and the funny.

The Girl From the Other Side: Siuil, a Run OVA - The most beautiful artsy thing I've ever seen in my life.

Top Tier Comedy:

Gag Manga Biyori - Always been the absolute king of the quirky zany batshit insane shorts to me

Gakuen Handsome - Derpy animation has never been so fucking good, it makes it an art form

Tonkatsu DJ - One of the most surprising things DEEN ever pulled out of their ass. This is DEEN in top form, it's unique art style is great and I love the focus around DJ culture.

Inferno Cop - I'M BEING CLICHE AGAIN, but I can't stop my Trigger fangasms. Plus bad German singing is my fetish.

But those are just a few that spring to mind at the very top of my shorts list right now.

Last edited:
Senyuu - one of the first anime I've seen, and still one of my favorite shorts anime that I've watched. Not all the episodes are 'rolling on the floor' tier of funny, in fact, some of them are quite annoying (especially serious story ones), but it's still a good time.

Cromartie High School - Any short that has a silent Freddy Mercury as a recurring character is perfect in my book.

Also, I second Gens' Rilakkuma and Gakuen Handsome, those are quality anime right there.

I started, by pure coincidence, watching "Rec" and for a little SoL romance, I'm enjoying it. Female lead starts off a little bit unbearably Manic Pixie Waifu, but quickly mellows out.

Does Pop Team Epic count as a short episode series? Given that each episode's essentially just the same sketch played twice.

I'm not even the least bit afraid to say, I unironically like shitcom and can watch that short a million times over. Just like any relationship, it's messy. #DeepAsFuck

Wholesome ending too.

A day before us - cute romances
Ani ni tsukeru kusuri wa nai - comedy about two siblings
Bananya - Cats that are also bananas
BanG Dream Pastel Life - funny shorts to a japanese rhythm game
I can´t understand what my husband is saying - another cute romance
Mahou Shoujo Taisen - magical girl anime about personified prefectures
Miss Monochrome - funny idol-anime
My Sweet Tyrant - a romance with a male tsundere
Ninja Girl and Samurai Master - cute anime about Oda Nobunaga
Ojisan and Marshmallow - anime about a fat guy that loves marshmallows
the disastrous life of Saiki K. - comedy about a guy that has all the superpowers
Wakaba Girl - cute girls doing cute things
Wakako-zake - anime about a woman going out to eat and drink

Back