Anime Clichés You Love!

Heavy-hitting upbeat soundtracks that's a blend of usually western instruments such as electric guitars and violins, backed by more traditional Japanese instruments is my fucking jam, ESPECIALLY if it comes with badass Ouendan-style chants and cheers!
(and yes, basically like freaking half of the original Naruto OST, and that's likely the origin of this love)

Shit, this was always my favorite part about OG Naruto.

I can't remember if I've posted this one before but I love series where you find out little bits of info as you go on and rewatching/rereading them creates "OH SHIT" moments when you realise the foreshadowing. Especially good when things happening in a scene mostly make sense but not entirely... until something gets revealed much later and things start falling into place.

(Yes, this is in reference to SnK, but it also happens in other things and I enjoy it equally no matter what the story. Sometimes the foreshadowing's too obvious, but if it's subtle enough it can be amazing.)

I can't remember if I've posted this one before but I love series where you find out little bits of info as you go on and rewatching/rereading them creates "OH SHIT" moments when you realise the foreshadowing. Especially good when things happening in a scene mostly make sense but not entirely... until something gets revealed much later and things start falling into place.

(Yes, this is in reference to SnK, but it also happens in other things and I enjoy it equally no matter what the story. Sometimes the foreshadowing's too obvious, but if it's subtle enough it can be amazing.)
Sometimes so subtle you only notice it the 5th time through
yfNElwY.gif

eh?

nah couldn't be

It's been so long since I've watched/read Ansatsu that admittedly I've forgotten the context for that scene.
It's just a tiny exchange that's separated from the actual context of the scene while more important stuff is going on, but

Itona is focused and seems to only care about figuring out who's the strongest at this point in the show, everything he does is very exact. He doesn't look at anyone but karma and korosensei the whole time.

So why did he randomly look at Nagisa?

why did they randomly devote entire seconds of screentime to it?

did he almost consider that there was something off about him he should worry about, then immediately dismiss it?

in the same episode shiro glances in the direction of nagisa and kayano, then is asked by karasuma if there's something off, he replies that they have an interesting class. Yeah, the foreshadowing started that early too.

It's just a tiny exchange that's separated from the actual context of the scene while more important stuff is going on, but

Itona is focused and seems to only care about figuring out who's the strongest at this point in the show, everything he does is very exact.

So why did he randomly look at Nagisa?

why did they randomly devote entire seconds of screentime to it?

did he almost consider that there was something off about him he should worry about, then immediately dismiss it?

in the same episode shiro glances in the direction of nagisa and kayano, then is asked by karasuma if there's something off, he replies that they have an interesting class. Yeah, the foreshadowing started that early too.
Nice. I do remember the bit where Shiro makes a comment about Nagisa.

Nice. I do remember the bit where Shiro makes a comment about Nagisa.
Yup.
Even better when you realize he wasn't just talking about him.

hqdefault.jpg
Dammit, I cannot wait for the s2 buddy group
:smile:
There must be so much more shit I haven't picked up on

Moving this discussion here...
Stuff that comes together at the end of the series is really awesome and I love that kind of payoff. Even for extratextual stuff like the title.

My first thought in that regard is the ending theme of Soukou no Strain, which makes little sense until you finally get to the end and realize it's not just being cute.
I agree. I also love when the OP/ED throw in references for manga readers in either the lyrics or the visuals. Part of why I love the Shingeki no Kyojin S2 OP is that the lyrics are riddled with nods to the manga and talk about things that anime-only viewers aren't going to get for another 2+ seasons.

And, as posted in the "Rename The Anime" thread, series where the title seems odd but actually makes sense upon the ending is another trope I very much enjoy. Or sometimes when you think you know what the title means but then the creators go "haha no, it's actually this".

I love the apparent cliche that killing someone takes your humanity. Because I agree with it, it's actually true, and I enjoy seeing shows take life and death seriously. For me some shows with too much killing just can't get through to me but when there's more weight on it i feel it more IF someone dies. It should never ever be taken lightly.

I love Tsundere old men, the ones that act mean and snarky, and pretend to hate how the young ones are constantly hang out around them, but deep inside they're nice and everybody around them knows that.
Hah, you're gonna love Rock Lock in the next season of Hero Academia.
-------------------------

I am quite fond of the "eyes turn comically demonic (and black) when angry or serious" thing that I have no idea where originated from.

The protagonist going from "what the fuck is this thing you call love" to "I have grown to know love and it has changed me into a better person".

Bonus points if they're a normal person, then go down the path of darkness and forget love only to learn it again.

It doesn't have to be the protagonist but I like it more when it is.

"Is this character good or bad? Which side are they on? YOU WILL NEVER KNOW! (Or you won't until the final part of the story at least)"

Menacing elderly japanese men with long hair and beards whom also wear traditional clothing. You know who you are.

I'm also a big fan of how many anime portray emphatic struggles of willpower. Not the "dbz lazer duel" variety but rather the "resist this effect/desire" sort. It's often more dramatic and better illustrated than in a lot of western media.

Menacing elderly japanese men with long hair and beards whom also wear traditional clothing. You know who you are.
Does this count? I mean he is wearing something more traditionally captain-y than the other characters that are captains of something. And he's one of my favorites.
Whitebeard.jpg

Someone who sacrifices themselves (Mentor usually) to save the hero, such a sucker for that and usually gets a strong emotional reaction out of me when done well. Hunter x Hunter probably has one of the best examples of this to me, with
kite vs nerferpitou

Someone who sacrifices themselves (Mentor usually) to save the hero, such a sucker for that and usually gets a strong emotional reaction out of me when done well. Hunter x Hunter probably has one of the best examples of this to me, with
kite vs nerferpitou
me too, except I've always hated how kite was misused. Such a BAMF to go down in such a lame way by such a lame character.

Back