The Gymnastics Samurai

Episode 1

I was totally down for a show about gymnastics, not a sport i've seen portrayed in anime before. However, this is really lame and i don't think i'll last much longer.

My list of gripes:

1) Why is there talking Pokemon in their house
2) Every "funny" event comes across as so forced and lame
3) Why are there ninjas, and why are the feds dressed in slutty boob tubes and open blazers.
4) What the hell is with that Gymnast guy who talks in rap and has a record scratch theme song play every damn time he speaks? He is awful and so cringe.
5) The OST is janky and ill-fitting
6) Why is everyone just okay with harbouring a wanted illegal immigrant
7) Why are they all dancing in front of chemical waste while in jumpsuits in the ED

This is not good. Wouldn't recommend it to anybody really.

Episode 2

Honestly I expected this episode to be better, these are my thoughts on this episode

• [*]I'm still annoyed at the little girl
    [*]the ninja is kind of growing on me
    [*]the main character isn't that likeable
    [*]I didn't like how they introduced the trans person
    [*]the ending theme is good

01:

........I have no idea what to feel about this.

I thought this was just going to be a straightforward grounded sports story honestly, but it turned out to be a lot weirder than that. There seems to be at least a decent emotional core there with a single dad facing retirement. But then there's all the goofy as hell shit, like a random ninja dude being chased by agents, a gigantic talking bird that was ripped from Toradora and that rapping guy which I wasn't too amused by. It feels a little too try hard and these elements are just disjointedly sewn together.

The opening slaps pretty hard, but I'm not sure I can say I really liked this as a whole.

Atm, I would say if you enjoy Big Bird's moments in the anime you can keep watching otherwise your face will cramp from cringing

The OP and ED of the anime is great imo.

Watching this show I can defintely say it's not great, but I like watching it. I've thought on multiple occasions "Is it more entertaining to me because I have to wait a week for the next episode? Would I find it quite boring if I could binge it?" and yes I think that's a real factor.

It makes efforts in humor that aren't needed or just aren't liked by the audience so far and all of the characters seem very "This is who I am." Shoving it in your face.

Still, if you have the time it's not actually bad I think.

I'm a little biased though cause I love gymnastics and seeing an anime about it is pretty cool to me, even with all of the absurb smaller key aspects to the show.

Keep in mind though, the show is like 90% dialogue with some small scenes of actual gymnastics scattered in. As a result it may feel more like a slice of life lacking substance that markets itself as a gymanastics anime.

I think whether you like it is really up to the individual so might as well try it if you have free time. Only 1 episode a week.

Hopefully it'll get better as it progresses.

What I wanna know is why it has the Supernatural tag

That's because of that weird Muppet bird they keep at home. He's actually a former drug runner for Pablo Escobar and is now living a new life as a demented Pokemon housepet. But the paranoid Tamagotchi still gets flashbacks to his days in the business sometimes, which is why he screeches and loses his shit every time someone unfamiliar to him enters the house.

After absolutely loving Mappa's bangers like Dororo and Dorohedoro, this show feels really weak. Even Kakegurui started off better than Taiso Samurai and it doesn;t look like this show could reach that level. The comedy falls short on timing most of the time and the bird's entire existence feels forced.
I'm not going to consider it a bad show just yet though but it;s definitely not what I;ve come to expect from Mappa.

38jVw.jpg

If you're not getting me a Rambo-themed employment cake, then are we even friends?

Well, I tried watching it, and all I can say is that its not funny. From that big bird that feels like a knockoff of Inko from Toradora, to all of these other elements that feel put together on the spot. The first few minutes it feels like its going to be a sports anime, then we see ninjas and whatnot. For something that's trying to be a comedy, it didn't make me laugh once and that's not a good sign.

Although part of that can be due to a lack of planning. All I can say is better luck next time.

This show didn't know what it wanted to be the whole time it was on, so everything about it - the drama, the characters, the conflict - was half-baked and just shoved in our faces to pass itself off as some kind of legitimate sports anime. It's more slice-of-life at this point, sure, but it doesn't do a very good job of telling that kind of story, either.

The show did a lot of "saving its best for last" for the finale, like Jotaro's gymnastics performance, that minor whammo character twist to that annoying teenage rival that practically everyone saw coming, and the whole thing with Leo and Jotaro, Jr. But if I gave at least half a shit for any of these characters, then maybe the finale would have had some kind of impact on me.

2/5

This show didn't know what it wanted to be the whole time it was on, so everything about it - the drama, the characters, the conflict - was half-baked and just shoved in our faces to pass itself off as some kind of legitimate sports anime. It's more slice-of-life at this point, sure, but it doesn't do a very good job of telling that kind of story, either.

The show did a lot of "saving its best for last" for the finale, like Jotaro's gymnastics performance, that minor whammo character twist to that annoying teenage rival that practically everyone saw coming, and the whole thing with Leo and Jotaro, Jr. But if I gave at least half a shit for any of these characters, then maybe the finale would have had some kind of impact on me.

2/5

This show really is exactly the same as zombieland saga with how muddled and unfocused it was as it tries to juggle genres, but it ends up not being good at actually anything.

This show really is exactly the same as zombieland saga with how muddled and unfocused it was as it tries to juggle genres, but it ends up not being good at actually anything.

Zombieland's saving grace was that it had some legitimately funny moments. I can't think of anything similar here. Of course, because the show's pinned most of its humor on that freak lab accident the Aragakis call a pet, that shouldn't be really surprising.

Meh was lower than average. Barely any side characters building like that looking-like shoto boi.
2/5.

Back