Gundam Build Divers Re:RISE

Episodes 1 & 2

Well they got the guy who did writing and composition for Gundam Unicorn and the upcoming Hathaway's Flash films so this is somewhat an improvement over Divers. Main characters actually have some sort of dynamic and chemistry and aren't dull unlike Riku and crew and they actually talk about and react to the world they're in. They actually acknowledge the meta.

Though it's somewhat going to a Log Horizon-like direction and that makes me worried. Still, first two episodes were enjoyable and has potential overall.

Episode 4:
SMWh6YB.jpg

Hah! I can't believe they referenced this. Captain Zeon is like super duper obscure.

I'm still enjoying this but...the story is going nowhere so far. It's so stagnant. Once again, the various MS cameos and battle scenes are the only things that's making me stay.

Episode 6:
Yeah. This show really needs this redemption arc. Kazami is so fucking annoying. He deserves a lot of the shit he gets and it terrifies me the show is somehow trying to ship him with the furry onee-san. Still, this is actually a solid episode and we got some good character moments.

Episode 7:
QzoaOQg.jpg

Gundam Seltsam is OP as fuck that it gave me Try nightmares but man it sure is one sexy Gunpla. Official site says the base unit is a Gundam MK III but looks like it also has a bit of Arios and Harute thrown in. Like they had some kind of dirty sloppy threesome and the result is this.

Also we also get a cool Daughtress variant.

I'm just pissed the kit they released for it is a fucking P-Bandai:

lh1hcNr.jpg

Every fucking time, Bandai.

Episode 9:
Well I'll be...

This was an honest-to-goodness great episode. The team work moral is a little on the heavy handed and preachy side but the actual team working is great. Oh and May is an EL-Diver? Holy shit. I did not see that coming at all.

Also, more Seltsam teasing. I mean thing just pops out for a couple of seconds to be a giant Gundam dick for the last couple of episodes now but it does it in the most badass way as possible.

Episode 11:
Holy fuck.

It's been a while since a Build series raised the stakes higher. Giant laser of death pointed at furry planet. Time limit to stop it from firing. Surrounded by countless enemies. And the rival Gunpla has a big old ginormous hand. This is some Crossbone Gundam Steel Seven shit and I love it.

Opd1r6J.jpg

Hiroto's menu screen going crazy with enemy pings was some good Ohshit moment.

Episode 12:
So a Gundam MMO just nuked some servers all over the world? Lmao.

But man. Why is this show getting interesting and raising the stakes? What's happening to my glorified toy commercial show? Why are they actually making an effort in writing a decent story?

The Jupitive set-up is pretty sweet and my fave equipment for the Core Gundam so far. I mean it has a hand-held beam mini-gun, remote weapons on the back, forearm guns and it has course-correcting thrusters all over for that sweet sweet high-speed space battle sweetness.

Well...shit.

I never expected this to be this good. It shouldn't have been this good but for some reason it is. I mean nothing ground breaking but they actually made effort in the writing. Took some risks. Up the stakes. I'm actually excited for the second season next year. Huh.

I give a 3.5 out of 5. Middling early episodes but midway shit gets real.

Back