Megazone 23 Part III

I ended up rushing through this, cause I honestly didn't want to waste more time on this.

Dreadfully, dreadfully boring again, the first part was mediocre but then it just went all downhill even more after that. But not only was this boring, the production values were appalling for this 3rd OVA. I think this video right here speaks for itself:

WHERE DOSE FRAMES AT? I had to rub my eyeballs twice to even believe what I was seeing here, and was bursting out laughing over it.

The most interesting thing about this third OVA set, was that this was tied to a video game called Hard On. Let that sink in for a second as I not immaturely giggle about it either.

4/10 - Ended on a whimper, I have all the regrets right now. Megacrap is more like it.

Last edited:
Episode 1
This is in some ways a step back, but that is a good thing in this case. This feels more likeable with rowdy teens that aren't mercenaries, but are instead out drinking and doing shenanigans. The only returning character is Eve, so we don't get the "completely different characters that are still supposed to be characters we know" problem that Part II had. The new cast has a good feel of camaraderie, and you actually get the feeling that they like each other and is a circle of friends. Best characterisation out of the trilogy, for sure.

Make no mistake, though, it's still not great at this, but I really don't mind how they've gone about with it.

The plot is more street-level cyberpunk so far, but the themes of anti-establishment, generational shift, and generally sticking it to the man are still here. This is more about hacking, and also infiltrating the system from the inside than violent confrontation. That said, it's still not very interesting, and still has some robomech fighting in the end.

The character design is yet again completely new, but at least this style meshes better with Part I. I find the characters pretty damn cool to look at. You can tell that the budget is lower, though, with a lack of shading and in-between frames at times. Not to mention some mistakes from time to time. Apart from the fashion, which feels very late eighties, you could have fooled me in thinking this was from 1985. The actual art direction feels fare more futuristic than the others, with changes to daily live being impacted by technology in a more tactile fashion.

All in all, a step up in quality compared to Part II.

This was better than the second one, but it was still pretty far from good. I was actually feeling this one through the first episode because those first twenty minutes were kind of nifty. We got some world building on this "futuristic" world that isn't just a bunch of exposition. Then we get to see Eiji's Breakfast Club of late 80s stereotype friends and like @HasseRovdjur says they're actually likable. In a society where being an awkward gamer can lead to social advancement I can imagine a group of friends better on how badly their nerdy friend is going to flame out when he tries to talk to a lady. I wish these guys were in the second episode.

I do confess that part of my love here comes from retro scifi that obviously had no idea what direction technological advancement would take the aesthetic. The result is this quaint take on technology that will always strike a chord with me even if I'm glad we're not all carrying around personal identification floppies and don't have a bunch of unwieldy albeit cool looking shit to plug in every time we want to use the computer. Plus, I really would like to microwave my breakfast in a machine that sounds like a VCR queuing up a tape.

Yes, the animation is embarrassing for an OVA and would barely be passable for a TV series from the time. However, I did like the character designs and the late 80s fashion. The anime looks like ass whenever something has to move on screen, but despite that the art was solid and I liked it much more than the repeated dingy grey hallways of the second OVA.

The downgrade in animation means less action and more time for plot. The result of which is a mixed bag. A bag much like those mixed bags of trailmix where you get 90 percent of the cheap shit you tolerate and 10 percent of the good stuff that you actually want to eat. The plot has a lot of good concepts and carries over the ideas of the 2nd OVA rather admirably, but god does all the exposition start to grate quickly. The dialogue and characters aren't interesting enough to maintain my interest. This is the kind of daft cyber punk that doesn't have much new to day, but it's damn well going to explain its point to you anyway. The second episode is way too much damn talking

The music was a lot better this time around as well.

Overall, I'd say this was on par with the first OVA and much better than the slog of OVA 2. 5 out of 10

I'm only a couple of minutes into the episode, but the most popular cyber game is called Hard On. I am not mature enough to not to point that out.

:megusta:!!!

Of course, I'm the paragon of maturity here, so here's a screenshot of the thing anyway!

2NP1E.jpg

Cutting-edge gaming technology has never sounded more appealing than this.

Part the third. Shogo's nowhere to be found, thank Christ. But a bunch of technobabble's here to take his place. Oh, there's a Generic Action Teen here too. Akira copycat? He's okay, I think I like him more than Shogo, but it isn't nearly enough to make me like this more than the last two installments. Things happened, stuff was explained, even more stuff was explained, and um, hacking, I guess. Don't you just love it when people talk and talk about shit only they understand?

Haha, it's a big no for me, dawg.

1.5/5

Ey, so I was stupid bored watching this, but not so bored that I wouldn't shittalk all over the stupid thing. I wanna liven up this thread some and wash the bitter taste of disappointment off our collective palettes. Here, have some stupid screencaps and some even stupider side comments:

2NP1L.jpg

the hell kinda futuristic pick-up line is this

2NP1M.jpg

no seriously what the fuck

2NP1N.jpg

AND BY BIKE I MEAN YOUR PENIS EEEEEE HENTAI

2NP1P.jpg

THIS IS WHY ALL THE WOMEN IN THIS TIMELINE ARE SO EASY Y'ALLS PICK-UP LINES ARE SO CORNY

2NP23.jpg

2NP24.jpg

did they have a fight or something

2NP25.jpg

2NP26.jpg

make up your mind you fuck

2NP27.jpg

HOLY SHIT SHE'S REAL

2NP2f.jpg

wELP ShiT

2NP28.jpg

2NP29.jpg

2NP2e.jpg

pack the rod in and call it a day, man, you ain't catching no sympathy from this girl today

2NP2N.jpg

Now THIS is a pick-up line, holy shit. Ladies, if you meet me at the bar and hit me with the "let's go save the world" recruitment pitch, I would totes spend the night with you.

2NP2K.jpg

"Even further and you'll be the one in danger, know what I'm saying, homeboy?"

2NP2M.jpg

OOH HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTH EYYY AMIRITE

2NP2h.jpg

"But he never even called me back, that bastard."

Triple-posting is for the birds. You see how bored I was with this now?

source.gif

2NP2P.jpg

HOLY SHIT THERE'S TWO OF THEM

2NP2T.jpg

"motherfucker this some bullshit I can't just be some rebound I'm the motherfucking main character here ffs"

2NP2U.jpg

"eyy but that's cool, girl, you fine as fuck, you do you, huh? or you can let me do you instead, catch my drift"

2NP2R.jpg

Had to do a double-take here, I honest to God thought he said dick.

2NP2S.jpg

Okay, now I'm just seeing things.

2NP2V.jpg

"well fuck me I just done been catfished"

2NP36.jpg

"and by bishop won I mean MY PENIS... probably"

2NP39.jpg

Devastating Lines to Use on your Ex Post-Break-Up #56

2NP38.jpg

"and ALSO IN MY KOKORO... probably"

2NP37.jpg

Eyy, nothing like a little pillow talk after doing the deed, you feel me? :lenny:

See you can tell Eiji was supposed to be cool because he could do that neat spin thing every time he put his floppy in.

I actually would have though @Franconator would have enjoyed this more because he request trashy cyber punk for Movie Secret Santa. This third part qualifies that in spades. Especially with all the terrible technobable that's actually a "deep" commentary on the balance between free will and living as part of a system. If you can't tell those are the most sarcastic quote marks around deep I could muster.

Episode 2
"I'm the operator of 7G." Took me a long while to take this seriously instead of just assuming this was a The Simpsons reference.

More plodding action, more sodding yammering, more sappy crap. Meh.

The second episode was more boring than the first, but I still like this more than Part II. 5/10

I think I ultimately "liked" it more than part 2 you could say, hence the rating here for me, but that's like choosing between a stale cyberpunk piece of bread, and soggy edgy stale piece of bread. They both still taste like crap, but one is slightly more tolerable tasting crap.

I actually would have though @Franconator would have enjoyed this more because he request trashy cyber punk for Movie Secret Santa. This third part qualifies that in spades. Especially with all the terrible technobable that's actually a "deep" commentary on the balance between free will and living as part of a system. If you can't tell those are the most sarcastic quote marks around deep I could muster.

I think I let my biases get ahead of me in the second part, which is why I liked that more than this. Biker gangs, yo! I'll always love any depictions of them in movies or wherever. Watching the third OVA before bed might've also influenced my boredom - as soon as everyone started talking about the intricacies of hacking and the importance of the System, I conked out. Plus, cyberpunk's a film genre I'm a little unfamiliar with, which was the reason I was so surprised with all the technobabble. Hence, the shitposting.

4 months later I finished it. The first episode was a tad decent and it rasied my hopes it might be even better than the first Megazone OVA, but then the second episode made me aware of the cruel reality, that this franchise is still a dreck.

5/10 and I propose we rename this franchise MegaBore 23

4 months later I finished it. The first episode was a tad decent and it rasied my hopes it might be even better than the first Megazone OVA, but then the second episode made me aware of the cruel reality, that this franchise is still a dreck.

5/10 and I propose we rename this franchise MegaBore 23
It should please everyone to know that Mega Zone 23 is AnimEigo's new KickStarter project. We can all ignore it together, as a group!

Back