FLCL: Alternative

THANK the heavens for Youtube TV, its an infinite channel tuner so I have the past half hour of CN already recorded, lucky me

Managed to catch part of the episode that aired on Toonami.
Tuned in to see Haruko pulling out this flower that was growing out of some girl's head, which then turned into an electric guitar that she used to SMACK THE SHIT OUF OF SOME ROBOT THING.
I liked what I saw, now I wanna watch the full thing.

1 (Toonami April Fool's Day release)

until about 13 minutes in, it didn't even feel a little bit like FLCL besides the music, but then, at that point, it felt about a quarter of what FLCL was visual and character-wise.

5/10 for episode one. They fucked it up artstyle-wise for the most part. No way to recover. Though it was amazing for a few minutes there.

I haven't watched the first episode yet but judging by the new trailer I also think the look isn't right for the most part. It's too "anime" if that makes sense. OG FLCL was a more of an animation hotpot and particularly inspired by Western animation, so I dunno if that can at all be recreated again. Still excited for it, at least for the soundtrack ;)

I haven't watched the first episode yet but judging by the new trailer I also think the look isn't right for the most part. It's too "anime" if that makes sense. OG FLCL was a more of an animation hotpot and particularly inspired by Western animation, so I dunno if that can at all be recreated again. Still excited for it, at least for the soundtrack ;)
I wouldn't have a problem personally if they did it right and made it a more anime artstyle, but they didn't even keep the animation or weirdness of it at the remotely same level. It's kinda sad, really.

Ep 1

Turkey is pretty much right in how the animation isn't nearly as zany or experimental, at least in the first episode. Comes off as a typical high school anime with a nice soundtrack until Haruko comes in. Maybe they're trying to set things up differently here and take their time before they up the craziness or western influences, but if Alternative means being way more standard anime then this isn't gonna be all that great.

I can't say I dislike the characters so far, but I've seen their types a bunch of times already. Some later animation is pretty great (Fender Mustang to the FACE) and evokes the feeling of the old show, but it passes by in a flash. New ED is good, but definitely no Ride On Shooting Star. Still glad to get more Pillows. It's also really weird for me to see CN's Williams Street logo at the end of the episode, lol.

ep 1

It definitely was no FLCL. It was tame, but it was cute. I don't dislike it.

But that made Haruko feel super out of place. It's feeling super girls' slice of life with a dash of flcl and teenage angst. Well, I will see.

ep 1

It definitely was no FLCL. It was tame, but it was cute. I don't dislike it.

But that made Haruko feel super out of place. It's feeling super girls' slice of life with a dash of flcl and teenage angst. Well, I will see.
Yeah i disliked pretty much everything about the first episode here, not because it was bad but just because as you said it is so unlike FLCL. Everything is so out of place and now i dislike it even more since FLCL progressive retains so much of the spirit of the original.

-_-

I'm trying my best to have high hopes for the rest of this second sequel after seeing that behind the scenes thing but this preview is... uh... not helping.

Back