Sword Art Online Movie: Ordinal Scale

This movie was amazing. The quality of the animation was 11/10. The story was great.
I liked how Asuna and the girls got their time in. However, it turned into another Kirito has to save Asuna story. You would think that a girl that suffers from Princess Peach syndrome would have some OP level shit going on for being kidnapped or threatened all the time.

Hopefully, S3 (revealed at the end of the movie) will give way to something else. I know now that I'm going to read the manga cause I can't wait.

Now, I do have one thing to say that caught my eye. That scene where Asuna gave the Lion King Do Me Now face when she was laying down. I've never seen her drawn more beautifully and look so mature. We all laughed when he fell into her chest. However, after reading a reviewers post somewhere, I realized I missed something.

That wasn't a fan service moment. That was akin to a husband resting his head on his wife's belly moment. He did that as if to reassure she was still there, calm her and himself and state that everything will be okay. It's amazing to see how mature their relationship had blossomed.

He's officially proposed to her, introduced himself to her mom (during the credit scene) but hasn't yet picked a path to take after high school. Let's just hope the proposal and everything that happened in the movie is carried on into S3.

Oh, and for anyone that goes to the English Dub premier on Apr 22, make sure you bring glow sticks and Guido Pump when the concert scene starts. It's the only way to experience that scene. LOL

Lastly, did anyone have issues with the audience interacting with the VAs at the beginning? We laughed when we didn't reply until the very end when he had us cheering.

If you still managed to miss all the US theatrical release dates and the AniCon screenings, you can always go the unpreferred route of Googling it.

Since that doesn't seem to process well

http://bfy.tw/DH9G

Let me know if you need me to watch it for you as well...........┌(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )┐

Ok, sorry @Teophan, but I cannot share the excitement with you. In my eyes the movie is pretty terrible in almost every aspect except graphics and clashes. I didn't expect much though, so not a big deal in the end.

The story was great.
YhjqqK2.png

I feel like this is the season 2 I would have wanted. I feel like I can put SAO on the shelf with a smile on my face now :)

I might need to give this a whirl. I watched SAO before seeing all the hate and fanboy-dom online, so my feelings weren't all that strong about it. I thought the love story in the first half was cute but OP emo hero story and harem allusions were trite. The fairy game storyline and season 2 were just more OP hero schlock, with new emo heroins. Pretty unsatisfying.

Not sure if I want to go another round... I might check it out this week. Either that or I'll forget this movie exists for a year or so, see a random comment about it some day when I'm super bored, and watch it then. That second scenario seems far more likely.

I might need to give this a whirl. I watched SAO before seeing all the hate and fanboy-dom online, so my feelings weren't all that strongly about it. I thought the love story in the first half was cute but OP emo hero story and harem allusions were trite. The fairy game storyline and season 2 were just more OP hero schlock, with new emo heroines. Pretty unsatisfying.

Not sure if I want to go another round... I might check it out this week. Either that or I'll forget this movie exists for a year or so, see a random comment about it someday when I'm super bored, and watch it then. That second scenario seems far more likely.

You can't escape the OP issue with Kirito. It's what he's known for. However, this movie brings in a different element. Instead of deep diving, they play in the real world with augmented reality. A few characters take the screen time for a bit, you get a pretty intimate scene about something......all I can say is Lion King bang me face......:lenny:
Classic OP battles, intense music....everything that you'd expect from SAO. Then there's the end credit scenes and the after credit scenes.

I watched it in theaters with a bunch of other people. It was fun. Especially the final battle. The ending threw cheers of joy for a specific action. Like the director was paying an homage to the franchise.

If anything, pick a rainy day and watch it. If you are 50/50 about SAO and the movie in general, treat it like a band-aid. The next time you get a day of doing nothing, just rip that band-aid off, watch the movie, and get it over with.

So...Kirito was an even bigger emo in the first half but luckily he turned that around.
Animation was great, even the CGI.
Story with AR was a nice twist instead of the regular ''Nervegear: die in VR, die in RL''. The bad guy even had a motivation this time instead of the previous ''motivations'': ''because I can''.

I laughed at the part where Yui jumped out of Silica's cleavage. Right in the middle of a climactic battle....rolf.

It got some clichés but nothing major...up untill the finale.
1) Somehow Kirito became OP in 2 battles, he was out of shape up untill the point he put on the DBZ weighted clothing.
2) Somehow the bad guy from S1 makes an appearance so the bad guy can reveal his evil plans.
3) My biggest ''ugh, why'' moment, for some reason they needed to up the stakes in the finale.
I was so glad they went with the loss of memory, not something you lose your life about, you don't want to lose memories, even though most of them are shit. But at the end they said thats boring, let's do the same as every other SAO plot and they even say so in the movie ''Like the NerveGear it causes death''. So if your memory gets scanned you die...somehow...don't ask why.

Luckily Asuna was kind of badass again, and it wasn't the Kirito one man show but more of the first boss in S1.

Overall a good movie, better as the shows I would say. (Because the shows got good first halves and garbage second halves)

Last edited:
(Because the shows got good first halves and garbage second halves)

Alfheim and Mother's Rosario were the only well-constructed arcs in the entire series. Mother's Rosario was the only arc that was even like, good.

I'll give this movie a whirl tonight or tomorrow. All the scenes I skipped through look pretty bland compared to the animation of the show. I'll make a prediction that Silica is molested by tentacles, nobody brings up best girl Yuuki, and this movie will suck because Kirito. Also, his English dub VA is so whiny and emo sounding that I'm going straight for the subbed version just to not hate him more than I do.

i started of 2018 with anime movies.:hamster:

Apparently, I stumble upon SAO Ordinal Scale after watching a video about it by an anime youtuber named gigguk.
I'm not really a fan of the SAO series, but Ordinal Scale is pretty good. It works as a stand alone feel good movie for me.
For those who enjoyed SAO's beginnings before it was hyped up and all over the place, u should give this movie a chance. Enjoy watching!:balloon:

Back