What Annoys You 2: Return of the Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something difficult to explain, and we're getting off track with all these silly responses. What I'm talking about is basically the same thing as the rules of this forum. This forum does not allow spamming or dumping because that's not the kind of post anyone here wants. Imageboards, on the other hand, are actually designed for that kind of post. So spamming is a perfectly valid way of posting, but if it were done here it would ruin the forum for all the existing members. And I could argue all day about why spamming should be allowed and why you guys should change your rules to please people who don't even post here. But that would make me an entitled jerk, wouldn't it?

Now, there is a difference between proper gatekeeping and being unwelcoming, but from my experience, the people who complain about gatekeeping are almost always in the wrong. Metalheads are a notable exception. They can be a little abrasive, and posing is kind of a sore spot for them

I know you've posted about not fitting in here, but you're obviously wrong about that. Otherwise, nobody would be talking to you

Forum rules and gate keeping are apples and oranges.
Forum rules exist to “keep order” gate keeping implies that people must know or do certain things to get joy from something.

Band merch as an example because it’s been mentioned already if someone enjoys only a couple of songs from a certain band and chooses to wear a t shirt of that band they should be able to without their interest being quizzed. If those few songs bring them joy but don’t have any interest in wanting to know the names of other albums, band members, release dates or even any other songs etc but choose to support that band by wearing their merch then that’s great

Joy is joy and no one has the right to brand anyone a “poser” or “not a real fan” just because they get their joy in a way that is viewed as lesser

gate keeping implies that people must know or do certain things to get joy from something.
But that actually is true. Stories require knowledge to understand the themes and parallels. Music requires ear training to hear the minor differences in sound. Games and sports require skill to play. If you lack the necessary abilities, you can still enjoy something, but you really aren't getting everything out of it. That's perfectly fine, and in fact many things are designed for the casual fan in mind

Now, you can tell me all you want about these theoretical people who go around calling people fake fans for reason, but I already know that's almost never true. Most of the time, the casual fans are getting told off because they act arrogant and think they know everything

But that actually is true. Stories require knowledge to understand the themes and parallels. Music requires ear training to hear the minor differences in sound. Games and sports require skill to play. If you lack the necessary abilities, you can still enjoy something, but you really aren't getting everything out of it. That's perfectly fine, and in fact many things are designed for the casual fan in mind

Now, you can tell me all you want about these theoretical people who go around calling people fake fans for reason, but I already know that's almost never true. Most of the time, the casual fans are getting told off because they act arrogant and think they know everything
Is needing to get *everything* out of something a requirement to enjoy it?
Which by the way is objective, since people get different things out of life.
People view things differently.
So you can’t say it’s true because it’s not.

Skill does not come in to entertainment. Being good at something does not equal enjoyment.

You sure have a very idiosyncratic usage of the word "require." Equating "understanding" with enjoyment is a wonky prospect to begin with, as @hell0emi pointed out. This reeks of one true way-ism and viewing entertainment and I'll have none of this nonsense.

And if you don't think self-appointed gatekeepers that put up all sorts of bullshit walls in order to keep the perceived "riff-raff" out don't exist, then you and I have very different lived experiences. I won't deny yours, but don't deny ours, either.

Except, people talking to me is continually becoming less the case. I'll probably eventually be ostracized from this community overtime.

There's no reason for anyone here to be ostracized so long as they are kind and respectful of others. As for why people "can't just be themselves and have their own opinions" the simple fact is that some people lack the awareness to understand when their "opinions" are inappropriate or harmful to other people. Others (mainly internet trolls) just don't care. A simple rule of thumb: If one's opinions are sucking the fun out of a community that's based around a fun hobby like anime, this probably isn't the best place to express them, or they ought to be worded differently. And if those opinions are hurtful to other people, probably a good time for some self-examination on whether they need to be expressed at all. The site rules exist so that everyone here feels welcome and has a pleasant experience on A-P.

Sure wouldn't be the same without him. Don't know what's going on and don't care to be honest, Turk will always belong with this community in my eyes.
Glad we're on the same page, I have a guess at what it is but this reminds me to slap @TurkeyGami upside the head when we meet, before the bro-hug.

I am pretty sure I know what it is but I wouldn't tell you, filthy casual.

There's no reason for anyone here to be ostracized so long as they are kind and respectful of others. As for why people "can't just be themselves and have their own opinions" the simple fact is that some people lack the awareness to understand when their "opinions" are inappropriate or harmful to other people. Others (mainly internet trolls) just don't care. A simple rule of thumb: If one's opinions are sucking the fun out of a community that's based around a fun hobby like anime, this probably isn't the best place to express them, or they ought to be worded differently. And if those opinions are hurtful to other people, probably a good time for some self-examination on whether they need to be expressed at all. The site rules exist so that everyone here feels welcome and has a pleasant experience on A-P.
Well what if the one person is the one who is surrounded by everyone else's inappropriate and harmful opinions? Guess those inappropriate and harmful opinions are perfectly fine as long as it's majority rule.

Well what if the one person is the one who is surrounded by everyone else's inappropriate and harmful opinions? Guess those inappropriate and harmful opinions are perfectly fine as long as it's majority rule.

If we wind up with a group of racists, homophobes, misogynists or other hate-mongers trying to harm our users they can be shown the door just as easily as a single person.

WAM

PC culture.

Oh, did I offend you when I called you retarded? Good. I was trying to offend you, you stupid fuck. The real question is why were you more offended by that than when I called you a ‘stupid fuck?’ You really must be retarded.

... Continued.

“I have a [insert arbitrary relationship here] who’s mentally handicapped! I find that term VERY offensive!”

Did you low key just call you [arbitrary relationship] retarded? Now who’s being offensive?

It’s a fucking word, asshat. You only think it’s offensive because somebody told you it is. You know the cure for hearing “offensive” words? It’s called suck it the fuck up, you weak piece of shit.

WAM: When the need to post shitpost memes overpowers judgement.

I usually prefer to stay out of drama if it doesn't directly involve me, so this is fine by me. :3
Look at this guy, making good decisions and shit.

WAM

PC culture.

Oh, did I offend you when I called you retarded? Good. I was trying to offend you, you stupid fuck. The real question is why were you more offended by that than when I called you a ‘stupid fuck?’ You really must be retarded.

You: You stupid fuck.

PC Culturites: i TakE oFfenSe To thAT

3581gjt.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back