Bad anatomy manga covers

more-precious-than-a-crown-36230.jpg

https://www.anime-planet.com/manga/more-precious-than-a-crown

What do you consider bad art style and what do you consider simply art style? Double Mints, for example, is of an author that consistently draws with a very fluid, stretched art style.

I always think of it as "is it obviously intentional?" bc I love all kinds of art that other people find offputting. You might not like Asumiko Nakamura's noodle people and god knows some of her drawings have downright unsettling anatomy going on, but it seems pretty clear to me that she knows what she's doing when she draws all her wonky noodle people. Even terrifying muscle man looks more like the result of a profoundly bad idea than a lack of technical skill.

The Harlequin covers, otoh, are all obviously drawn by artists who've never seen another human being ever.

What do you consider bad art style and what do you consider simply art style? Double Mints, for example, is of an author that consistently draws with a very fluid, stretched art style.

Well, here's one.

Renai Shinjuu

renai-shinjuu-11277.jpg

This looks artful because there seems to be sense in the cover. The proportions look proper, the two planets are distanced nicely, and the two people look sorrowful. It's an interesting cover.

I didn't need the butt shot though. That makes the cover look like a hentai.

his-unexpected-legacy-36461.jpg

I have an old memory of a baseball hitting me in the face. My first glance of this cover was that painful.

1. The nose. The nose is breathtaking. It is so amazing that it distorts the reality of the people trapped on the cover.
  2. The shoulders. The man's shoulders are so large that he looks like Jabba the Hutt. Is he so fat that he is holding the woman in her lap?
  3. The eyes. The eyes are much too detailed. The woman looks like her eyes are surrounded in steel wool. His eyes look like they are stretched to the point of snapping.
  4. The neck. Did someone put all of her muscles in his neck? His neck is so thick that the Hulk is green with jealousy.
  5. The hand. It needs no explanation.
  6. The pink. Is the woman wearing flowers? Is she casting a pink spell with her hair? Did someone release pink bubbles in the air?
  7. The water. Did the 'artist' make squiggly lines and splash blue on it?

Mmmm, it's amazing to see a book cover like this. Thanks, @sothis.

I can't imagine what the BAD covers must be like.

Back