I Am A Hero

Just finished
Ending
Wow that ending was such a disappointment. Hideo pretty much lost all his friends as well as everyone he cared about and became an unsung hero. His mangaka rival was credited as being the hero, scored an attractive woman which he had a lot of kids with, and lives in a nice settlement. All while the MC was left behind like a scene out of Castaway and half crazed from the lack of human interaction. Why must the author do this to us??

Because life isn't fair and doesn't work out the way you planned it. It would actually defeat the theme of the manga if Hideo was just handed a happy ending like Korori. In the end, Hideo did what the start of the manga set out to do: to save Hideo from himself.

I took this from a Reddit post that sums up the ending succinctly:

"Finally, Hideo. It's tragic irony, he wasn't fully a hero until he no longer had anyone to protect. The truth of it was though, this was always about Hideo saving himself. Not just in a selfish way, though it manifested that way a lot, but in a self-realization/actualization way. Tekko and Korori knew he was wasting his talents but Hideo wallowed in self-pity and depression. Until the whole apocalypse. He learned to defend and stand up for himself and to do the same for others. But he was never quite fully effective until the very end. Now, essentially isolated, he's found hope and purpose where there wouldn't be any for most. He could finally say, "I am a hero" and have it be true and mean it. But he doesn't have to. If you notice, he only ever says it when he wants to do anything but be a hero, to reassure himself. What he really said when he stepped up was a simple "alright" or "ok". Notice that Korori, who proves himself time and time again, never says that line. He always stays humble, denying his heroics. Additionally, finding out the deer he shot was pregnant is symbolic of those who were sacrificed so he could live, and his reaction to discovering this shows that he will never forget the sacrifices of his friends and lovers."

The plot was irrelevant, it was a vehicle to tell the story of the characters in. Still, it would have been nice to get some answers on that, but it wasn't the main focus of the manga - Hideo is.

Chapter 36

Years and years of experience, an efficient team and this is what happens: insane quality.
This technique to draw backgrounds is still underappreciated, but goddamn it looks fantastic. Wow.
DWUNf5dX0AAvNis.jpg:large

I'll be honest, I'm not satisfied with the ending. That doesn't change the fact that this is a 10/10 for me. Art is truly the work of a genius, characters development is beyond great, story is for whoever is going to appreciate it for what it is. Me? I just loved the long ride. Hanazawa-sensei, thank you.

Volume 1:

Ugh, Hideo is deeply unlikeable for me on basically all levels. Annoying tics and habits, super overly crass, acts like a child, etc.

I really like how the zombie aspect played out in this though - rather than just starting during the apocalypse, it rolls out very slowly, with hints here and there. Tetsuko crawling up to the door was just great. I do wonder how she got the knife in the leg and zombified though.

Volume 2: things finally get interesting

• Zombies are athletic as fuck, seriously. Running all over the place, dropping out of nowhere, would be shitty trying to survive in this time

• Mitani, a character I hated even more than the MC. So gross and misogynistic/entitled. I'm glad he got eaten, but also in a humanitarian sense glad the plane wheel took his head off instead of being eaten alive. Dat plane though

• Really enjoying the zombie action here. Shit has mostly hit the fan, probably vol 3 will be off the deep end

Volume 1
That was rather subtle. Slowly dropping hints at whats to come whilst showing us a good idea of where hes at in life at 35. Cant say i like any of the characters so far though.

Last edited:
Volume 8
Oh fuck, he ripped off his own dick as he turned. Though i suppose thats what he gets for jerking off mid-zombification.

And he made sure to grab the bacon. His priorities are perfect.

Volume 3:

MC is really starting to piss me off. There's no way you can be this dense about what's happening.

Other notes:
  • The eyeballs changing is an effectively creepy way to show someone turning
  • It's interesting that zombies in this world building retain aspects of their memories/personalities somehow

Volume 4:

I'm a sucker for horror scenes in manga that show a freeze frame of sorts (not sure what to call it), where there's a shot, then the same shot with one small thing changed, then another. AOT had something like this in the first few chapters (you'll know what i mean) when a certain someone is eaten by a titan. Chapter 44 had it with the car scene. Loved it.

Beyond that I'm glad we moved past the bullies but irritated still that the MCs seem to think the zombies maybe are alive, are worried about 'stealing a bike' (come on man, society is over), etc

Volume 9
I would very much like to unsee that child if i could. That shits gonna leave nightmares.

Volume 12
Underwear shovel man is fabulous.
x8.png

Glory to the Naked Emperor

Volume 5:

gives new meaning to the term "ankle biter"

Volume 16
When the knock off of 4Chan turns out to get it right. Zombies merging into a giant hive mind tentacle monster. Japan has gone too far if this is foreshadowing that tentacle monsters are God.

Volume 5
unknown.png

God Bless TV Tokyo, if anyone survives i hope its them.

Volume 6:

Chapter 61 is one of the best chapters of a manga I've read in recent history. I did not see Hiromi being a zombie coming, and her depiction of fighting the zombies was brilliant, and chilling. I hope they end up curing her eventually.

Volume 18
I like how hes too busy having sex with a minor to notice the massive tentacle monster behind them.

Then later on hes too dumb to realise when shes asking for rounds, she doesn't mean whats in his damn ballsack.

And now they have joined captain pugwash and his merry crew.

Volume 8:

Turning into a zombie while literally masturbating your own dick off has to be one of the worst (or best? o_o) ways to go

Back