I Am A Hero

Chapter 192-193-194
Of all the people,
I did not expect the creepy guy from way back in chapter 5 to still be alive. And kind of badass, too.

The manga is FINALLY complete! I can finally start reading it soon :D will chime in with thoughts on the chapters

Unfortunately, while getting all excited I've just seen a zillion, consistent reviews saying the ending is one of the worst endings of anything ever written and nothing at all is answered or explained/wtf was the mangaka thinking/did they get forced to end it suddenly/etc.

I'll probably still read it, but damn :( Dragon Head comes to mind, such an incredible series that just 'ends'.

That is pretty damn depressing then. I haven't caught up in a long while, to let chapters build, but I truly think this is the finest zombie manga, I've ever read in recent times. So, this is just gonna suck hard, if the ending is bad. :crying:

Yeah, I'd brace yourself as it is a very unanimous 'this is the worst thing ever and nothing is explained' sentiment :(

I think I'll still read it anyways but oh man I hate, hate, hate open/bad endings that don't explain things :(

Honestly, I think I'd be more disappointed if they did explain what the eff caused it. The mind-boggling, unexplained weirdness is half the fun for me.

And as AOT showed, explaining the mystery behind the world ending scenario can prove...unsatisfying.

Overall a good, albeit slow, start.

Volume 1:
I liked how things very slowly hit the fan (and haven't really fully hit the fan yet). The last scene with Tekko crawling towards the mail slot was creepy as shit.

Volume 2:
Zombie design is pretty terrible and silly. Why was Mi-chan so bloated and gross? The deformed heads are bizarre as well.

Creepy stalker Mitani is creepy.

Volume 3:
Something I really don't like about this depiction of zombies is that they continue to talk after turning, to a silly degree (re: the couple in the taxi, the guy at the train station, etc).

Favorite moment of this vol was when Hiromi is first dealing with Hideo and tells him it's polite to look someone in the eyes when talking to you - reminds me of something you'd say when dealing with someone on the spectrum, or something. It would have been easy for her to just have the expected reaction of being weirded out by him, but she wasn't.

Also liked how from his perspective he was just wandering around in the woods and then went to pee, while in reality he passed out in the middle of psychosis all night while she watched over him.

Chapter 1
You know what this reminds me of?
Silent Hill 4: The Room.
Same claustrophobic feeling of desperation. A man, stuck in a room for unknown reasons, not capable of hearing sounds from the outside, having hallucinations driven by what I assume is lack of sleep and mental stability? Me likes it. We'll see what's up in chapter 2.

ch 160
When he found the bolt action I was confused why he was loading shotgun shells in it at ch 160. I thought the mangaka just made a mistake but it turned out to be a slug gun.

Last edited:
@svmsoverflag since I'm reading this I'm wary of clicking, can you put a label in front of your spoiler tag with what volume or chapter it's talking about? For example,

Chapter 100
spoilertaghere

Just finished
Ending
Wow that ending was such a disappointment. Hideo pretty much lost all his friends as well as everyone he cared about and became an unsung hero. His mangaka rival was credited as being the hero, scored an attractive woman which he had a lot of kids with, and lives in a nice settlement. All while the MC was left behind like a scene out of Castaway and half crazed from the lack of human interaction. Why must the author do this to us??

Just finished
Ending
Wow that ending was such a disappointment. Hideo pretty much lost all his friends as well as everyone he cared about and became an unsung hero. His mangaka rival was credited as being the hero, scored an attractive woman which he had a lot of kids with, and lives in a nice settlement. All while the MC was left behind like a scene out of Castaway and half crazed from the lack of human interaction. Why must the author do this to us??
I'm far behind so I can't look at your spoiler.
In your opinion: Good/Neutral/Bad ending?

Everyone universally seems to say it's bad, an open/unanswered questions ending

Back