New feature: supplementary anime and manga recommendations

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Anime-Planet was created in 2001 as the first recommendation database. While we've since added list management, a way for you to watch aggregated legal anime on the site, and many other features, our main focus has and will always will be the recommendations. We want you to trust that if you want to know what to watch next, you can look at the recommendations for an anime or manga to get great ideas.

The heart of our recommendation is the user suggestions - you, or anyone else, can suggest that fans of [this anime] might like [this anime too]. These recommendations appear on an anime or manga's page, in the recommendations section.

Today we've launched supplementary recommendations based on a tagging algorithm, which is possible because of the hundreds of tags in the Anime-Planet database. We've been testing this feature for quite some time now, and we've found that these supplementary recommendations are surprisingly accurate.

Here are some examples, as of launch time, that had no user recommendations (user recommendations might have been added since then).

Future Card Buddyfight (Manga)

BS6TmDp.png

Yoriniku Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki (Manga)

1y69Igu.png

Heidi Movie (Anime)

OTMIAcX.png

Why have supplementary recommendations at all?

Supplementary recommendations are helpful when an anime or manga doesn't have any user recommendations yet, to help give you an idea of what else is similar. We don't output them if the title has 10 or more user recommendations. Anything less than 10, and we'll show 10 additional supplementary recommendations.

Of course, we hope that you'll click the "I agree" button next to that recommendation if you agree and add your reasoning for why it's similar. Then, it will show up as a user recommendation.

How do supplementary recommendations appear, compared to user recommendations?

The "reasons you might like this" and "votes" area don't appear for supplementary recommendations.

I saw a supplementary recommendation that's bad. How do I report it?

We have a way of hiding supplementary recommendations that don't fit. This will be most common when an anime or manga doesn't have any, or has barely any, tags. To report a recommendation that's questionable, post it in this thread. There's a few ways we can fix the problem for that anime or manga, such as:

• Looking at the tags for both anime (or manga) and seeing if anything should be added to either title (which, by design, changes the supplementary recommendations).

• Or, just hiding the recommendation.

If you have ideas for new tags that would help distinguish those anime/manga better, or if you think any existing tags should be added to either anime/manga, please help by posting those tag ideas in the report thread. Normally we'd ask you to post new tags/updates in the tag submission section, but if it's specifically about a supplementary recommendation, go ahead and put that info along with your report, in the report thread.

Known issues

There's various small bugs we'll fix in the next day or two. Cross-recommendation pages (if you click 'manga recommendations' on an anime recs page, for example) don't show the right data if there's auto recommendations. Also small text changes and other things.

We also will remove the supplementary recommendations from current season titles that have very few episodes.

Note that we can't control multiple titles from the same franchise appearing in the supplementary recommendations.

Thanks, as always, for your continued support of Anime-Planet! :love:

Damn, that's awesome. I like it.

And it's really surprisingly accurate.

Awesome! Please do point out if you see odd ones, we'd love to add more tags and/or fix the existing tags to make them even better. And of course, +1 ones you agree with, as user recommendations are even better :)

Awesome! Please do point out if you see odd ones, we'd love to add more tags and/or fix the existing tags to make them even better. And of course, +1 ones you agree with, as user recommendations are even better :)
Oh boy, there are some older ones with insufficient tags. I'll certainly make tag suggestions as I watch them.
But mostly +1 ones I agree with. It's way less work.

Back