Space Patrol Luluco

Episode 1

Well I quite enjoyed this for the most part. I liked the visual style, it really smacks of Imaishi, the OP has a load of visual references that fans of Aoi Honoo would recognise, and the ED was quite nice.

The comedy mostly worked for me, but there were a couple of instances which were a bit eye rolling, the same sort of scenes we've all seen before as the girl transforms into a suit that is body hugging or something and she's embarrassed by it.

Turning into a handgun was pretty funny though. As was Over Justice.

1:

So this was essentially a stealth spiritual successor to Inferno Cop. Lovely.

Episode 1:

It's no Inferno Cop, and the transformation gag was staler than last week's bread, but I'll keep watching it. We need more hyper dads in anime.

Episode 1:

High Justice and Genki dad were enough to make the episode for me.The ED was pretty enjoyable, too.

I liked it. It's already got more going for it than Ninja Slayer.

Episode 1
Not exactly impressive, but waaaay better than Ninja Slayer already.
Hopefully Inferno Cop Over Justice Director-General gets a lot more screen time.

The animation is basically that of the chibi scenes/episode 4 of Kill la Kill.
I've always found it a charming style due to how it reminds me of PSG. (though it's not quite the same character design)

Last edited:
Episode 2

This didn't make me laugh as much as the first episode, but in some ways I preferred it. It was cuter in some respects, and the right kind of zany in others. Mainly though, I loved how they used the OST to build the atmosphere.

Episode 2
"Season 1"? Excuse you.

Exchange student comes in on a meteor that destroys most of the classroom. I'll give them points for effort and flair. :laugh:

I love the missiles sticking out of the landscape.

Aw, how come he gets a cool gun? :laugh:

Luluco, your new partner... he's a little... uh... trigger-happy. /thrown out

I didn't say this last time, but I really like the closing theme. It's spacey and super cute.

Episodes 2 and 3:

Well, at the very least we'll get another excellent soundtrack out of this. However, the music is the only that's really sticking with me. I don't think this is bad, but the episodes tend to just breeze by without leaving much impact beyond the music. The show is amusing, but there aren't any specific jokes or gags that I can point to that I found to be particularly amusing. His little pep talk to Luluco about being herself was nice, but didn't say anything particularly unique or meaningful. "Just be yourself" is pretty trite as far as advice goes.

I think the concept here is solid and potentially meaty enough to support a full series. It's rare that I ever think a short should be stretched into a full run time episode, but in this case I think the short run time is hurting this, because there's not enough time to flesh anything out. Even if they didn't go for full on twenty minute episodes, 12-15 minutes would have been better.

Also, there's not enough High Justice.

It's a pleasant watch, though, so it's already doing better than a lot of crap I've started this season.

Episode 3

I kind of agree with ZK that the show would benefit from being a good 15 minute episode, but I'm definitely enjoying the show as it is.
The comedy does land for me, I kind of know what to expect from these guys but even so it hits the right spots for me. Nova seems aloof to a fault in this episode, the way he was casually and calmly smiling as he was off loading his gun at Luluco was a little disconcerting, but then also made me laugh.

High Justice in the after credits was pretty damn funny to me too.
But mainly, I'm just waiting for Midori to shout NANI SORE.

I will agree the post credits scene for episode 3 was fairly funny and the best comedy of the last couple of episodes for me.

Episode 3
I'm with you guys about High Justice.
Wah, Midori's got a cute nasally voice. Even though I can barely understand her. :laugh:

One of the aliens looks like one of those alien crocodile toys that was around in the 90's...

Nova is the most passive male lead I've ever seen. He just gives no shits at all, does he? :laugh:

Episode 3:

That's right, Luluco, shoot 'em up. You need more dakka, though.

Fuck yeah, that was a good after credits joke. Shame that the rest of the episode wasn't as good.

Episode 4:

Of all the movies they could pay homage too, why
Armageddon?

My distaste for Michael Bay movies aside, I guess we see the Luluco's obsession with being normal comes from having such an outlandish mother. Actually, I kinda want to know how she hooked up with Luluco's straightlaced father in the first place.

It was an okay episode.

Episode 4
I still think the best part about this show, besides the colour palette and character designs, is the design of the town. I just really like the missiles and stuff strewn about the place.

Her mum's a space pirate?! That's brilliant! :laugh:

Episode 3
Nice to see Nonon again. What a distinctive voice. Of course we all knew she would join the Space Patrol as that's given away in the OP and the poster anyway.
I enjoyed this episode though probably my favourite so far, at least it's between this and the next episode.
Episode 4
I got some strong Armageddon vibes from this. I also found that line "The current episode's storyboard is under production without a final script." It was just so sudden and in English,
Pop up Pirate too!?
I liked that reveal at the end with her mother being a pirate, that was great too. All in all I really liked this episode a lot.

Episode 3
This is definitely having the PSG feeling, just less amazing animation and crude humor and cursing.

Back