Ninja Slayer From Animation

I feel like I've seen this sort of situation before; where a series is aired through NicoNico but I forgot how that turned out. It shouldn't affect the show in any way shape or form, yes?

Oh wow, watching that OP gave me some real mixed signals of how it'll be animated and just the opening scenes alone confirmed my suspicion. Really wasn't expecting that.

Still watching the episode.

Yeah, its not typical TV series lengths. As for the episode itself;
Its like watching Inferno Cop again. Only its longer, still has some actual animation, and.... huh. Pretty much of the comparisons. They do share the same querky comedy. Story wise, there isn't much to go by other than what the synopsis describes the series. Ninja Slayer going around keering (killing) ninjas.

Its a mindless watch, nothing bad came out of it. The animation is I guess will be the topic of this week's episode because by god, that was really unexpected. And its not like the animation choice was downright bad. Feels as though it ruins the climax, especially when they had to use Inferno's animation to finish off an opponent, in a comedic sort of way. There is still use of actual animation when they do the close ups and fights and they looked pretty decent.

Personally, I think Funi got screwed licensing it. I doubt they were expecting this. :laugh:

Last edited:
Seems like it's an Inferno Cop type deal, a little disappointed, but if it's as funny as Inferno Cop, I won't mind too much. Will watch it later tonight.

Episode 1:

Huh, I wasn't expecting Inferno Cop crossed with ninjas with more animation. My first thought would be the episodes are too long for an Inferno Cop style of show. The type of random humor used in Inferno Cop is best left to small tight doses.

The episode started strong but then got tiresome by the end. I also found the material in the first half of the episode to be much stronger than the second half of the episode. The introduction to Ninja Slayer was pretty good and I liked the gag of him repeatedly punching the towerhead ninja after every sentence. I also found the shitty blood effects to be amusing.

However I didn't find Ninja Slayer's origin to be funny or interesting. For all the goofy humor of the first part of the episode the origin story was done fairly straightfaced other than the use of repetition. I think a show like this walks a very fine line when it comes to how serious it takes itself. Inferno Cop managed to wring a lot of humor out of the fact that no matter how outlandish the situation the characters always took themselves dead serious. I didn't think it worked quite as well for this episode.

I also didn't find the second fight to be nearly as fun. The only bit I really laughed at was the computer display of sushi status.

The art actually looks really great. I love the retro feel of the designs. I also like the way the animation is a mix of the very shitty and pretty decent during the action bits. It makes for some funny juxtaposition and I was entertained by the sudden shifts in quality.

Overall, the episode was okay. I laughed a couple of times, but wasn't blown away. If you liked Inferno Cop then you should probably give the episode a try. The style of humor is an acquired taste, but Trigger does it fairly well.

.....Well, now I'm feeling largely skeptical about this after reading ZK's post and less optimistic.

Episode 1

So I did some reading, and the whole point of the original novels is that they are a parody of the really grim and gory OVAs of the 80's and 90's, so they filled it with all the stupid tropes and stuff we saw back then. Essentially this is a parody anime of a parody novel.

I liked it, although I wasn't laughing out loud and rolling on the floor, I had a smile on my face all the way through, the inferno cop style animation has always been pretty funny to me anyway, and they spliced it with some normal animation too, that actually looked really good. The juxtaposition between the 2 works and highlights the parodical nature of the show.

And of course it's a fuckton better than Inou-battle too.

Not that's it's very difficult to be better than Inou-Battle.

I already suspected Ninja Slayer was a parody of that type of anime from the first episode. Especially when they did the backstory bit. However, that doesn't change how I felt about the first episode because some of the moments of parody were kinda weak, especially the bit where he flashed to his backstory which was played so close to straight that the parody aspect is barely there. The dialogue and action for the first fight scene were both perfect as parody which is why it was also the funniest bit.

Episode 1: well I was not expecting that... Didn't realise it was gonna go all 2D paint style on us. Was hell hyped for this so hopefully it does end up delivering. I heard the eps are only 15 mins due to the large amount of action which certainly wasn't true in this episode. I really hope it drops the style used mostly and focuses on the proper animation more, but I really want this to get better.

Episode 1
Whaaaaat the fuck is this shit?
fdU7xWU.jpg

None of the good of Inferno Cop mixed with none of the good of KLK, and you get... this tripe.

I didn't get much KlK from this episode it was more of a mix of Inferno Cop and gritty anime OVA tropes from the 80s and the 90s.

Well to be fair, no one really expected this to be a parody in the first place as there wasn't any indication of such. At least, to my knowledge when updating the entry leading up to its debut.

Even you yourself admitted to realizing at the last moment that this was meant to be a parody. So to say that it was "always supposed" is a bit, lacking of a better term, condescending.

Well to be fair, no one really expected this to be a parody in the first place as there wasn't any indication of such. At least, to my knowledge when updating the entry leading up to its debut.

Even you yourself admitted to realizing at the last moment that this was meant to be a parody. So to say that it was "always supposed" is a bit, lacking of a better term, condescending.

Nope, always knew it was a parody, my earlier posrpost was in reference to the animation style, I wasn't aware it would be like that as all the PVs showed the parts that were animated normally. Been following threads on this for a while so knew what to expect in terms of themes.

Oh, my mistake then. Would had been real nice if you had told us this sooner. Maybe drop a hint or so? :happy:

Back