New policies for the character database

Status
Not open for further replies.

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
NOTE: This thread no longer accurate. Users can now submit changes to the character database in the submissions section.

------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

Last month, Anime-Planet reached almost a million unique users a month. This is 50% more users than we had post V4 launch.

With a bigger userbase comes more responsibility that we make our databases as complete as possible, so that everyone can create lists, mark characters, and use A-P as their primary resource. For this reason, over the next week we'll be rolling out some big changes to how information is added and moderated on the site. These are initial steps and we will continue to refine the process moving forward.

Today we're announcing a change to how chararacters are added and moderated. In the past, we've waited to add characters until they can be properly vetted, usually personally by one of the moderators. Starting today, we've decided to add basic entries for all characters (at minimum, a name, a role [which will be a best guess until they can be confirmed by mods/users]). Tags and images will continue to not go up unless they meet the guidelines.

Our plan

1. We will first clear out the Help Needed subforums of the Character Submissions forum. This means we'll add characters for any series referenced in these sections. We will add basic info, and potentially additional info (if people help confirm by the time we get to them), and will deny the rest of the details for now.

2. After clearing out all 3 HN subforums, we'll add characters to all anime series in the database. Manga will be much slower and likely based on popularity given the sheer quantity of characters we'll need to add.

3. We've set up an easier training system to help train potential moderators. If this interests you, the best thing you can do is follow the below steps.

How YOU can help

1. Until we announce that the anime database is completed with these basic entries, we are strongly requesting that no new character submissions are made. There will be users who don't see this announcement and will continue to submit changes - we will likely clear the easy ones and most the rest to denied until this time period is over. This is because we only have 10 moderators and need to fill in a very large quantity of characters over the next few weeks. Once we've done that, we'd love your help in submitting images and tags that meet the criteria of the guidelines, but until then, it will just cause a great deal of extra work for our small team.

2. Help confirm submissions in Help Needed, or add the appropriate info to your own submissions if they are pending. We are looking for specific types of info, such as why you think a tag should be added or removed (based on the tag guidelines), why a role change should happen, etc. The more details the better. The faster you can help provide this information, the better chance that we'll add more content besides the basic info when cleaning out HN. Here is the thread with instructions on how to best confirm info

3. Moving forward, we ask that this sort of extra info is included in the Comments area when submitting a character - explaining why the changes should be made will help make this process go much more smoothly.

You can find all 3 of the Help Needed sections here at the top of This Forum. We will start with the oldest submissions first and work our way up.

Thanks for your patience during this time - after we have basic info up for characters, we'll then have separate efforts for filling in all of those voice actors, getting new projects lined up for images, etc. During all of this the character moderators will continue to fill in ongoing series' characters and their other duties.

Last edited:
Exciting news! Although I always try to keep my eyes open when new character submissions have been added to see if there's anything I can confirm, I'll be heading over to the listed links to see if there's something I missed and I can help out more!

Cool. I hope this change will ease up and fasten the addition of characters, since there are animes that are missing some for quite some time. I know it's hard for a few users to sort out the addition of characters from all the users ^^

I tried to help with w/e I can (I didn't help much tho....) but maybe a little grain of sand could help a bit. That's what I hope, at least.

Im trying to not sound impatient, but is there a date planned for this update?

Ive already accumulated a small list of char changes + additions by now ;p

It's still ongoing, and no ETA of when it'll be finsihed. We've had some staffing changes and others are too busy to help, the rest of us are working nonstop with adding missing characters, still working on clearing out help needed. The best thing to do to help is to keep submitting reasons why stuff in Help Needed can or cant be cleared.

After that, we still need to go through all anime and add missing characters, and then we'll call the project 'done'. A lot of the work we've had to do is clearing out one single submission from Help Needed, which is only one character, but then we fill in all of the other missing characters for that anime at the same time. This means HN is being cleared out more slowly than we'd hoped, but it's still working towards the bigger effort.

Im trying to not sound impatient, but is there a date planned for this update?

Ive already accumulated a small list of char changes + additions by now ;p

fyi, the update has already started and we're literally going through the database and adding every single character (starting with series in help needed); I wouldn't bother writing additions down since we're adding ALL characters.
Also, tens of thousands of characters is going to take a while for a small number of mods to add :p So we won't be finishing nearly as fast as you seem to think.

Last edited:
Ive re-read the post, I thought the update was done for having users add basic entries, but you guys are adding all the entries :O

Hi everyone, because we've continued receiving a lot of submissions we've hidden the edit characters form until we complete the project - there's some info posted on the page about the project and how you can help us get it done faster (by confirming posts etc)

Thanks for your patience and help as we work to get the initial character set added.

Good job with clearing out Help Needed! I can't wait to access the character database again! Thanks for all the hard work

When exactly can we add to the database again? I would like to add more characters and tags as soon as possible

Unknown, we're still working on it. Mods are adding an insane amount of characters daily: https://www.anime-planet.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100

As well as keeping up on current season titles (making sure all pictures/info is up for these as a higher priority)

But we still aren't done yet. Really sorry for the delay on it - if there's a series that doesn't have characters at all, it will get filled in as a part of this effort. We aren't prioritizing images or tags because we first need to add all of the shell entries

Err, the mods need to finish adding all of the characters so we can reopen the project (or am I misunderstanding your post?).

Basically if we open up submissions to the community before we go through and add all of the characters (with basic info such as their name and what anime/manga they're related to), itll mean double or triple the work, as we would still be adding the same info, but also needing to reply to users, confirm all the other content, etc.

Basically we're having to shut down community submissions until the mods can finish adding a zillion chars to the database (hence the link I gave before, showing all of the mod activity every day). We do work on it daily, but it's taking longer than expected

I think there's a misunderstanding on how the system works.

On A-P, community-submitted content is first moderated by the moderators, to ensure that bad info doesn't go up. The same moderators that are now steadily adding all missing characters are the same moderators who would have to deal with community submissions.

If User A submits a missing character, Moderator A will have to look at the thread (it's a submission that has to be moderated, the info does NOT immediately go live in the database), and then add the info. They will then have to reply to the thread (including asking for any clarifications, if needed, for things like tags, if User A didn't include *why* their suggestions are correct), then add the content to the database, then move the thread to 'completed'

Compare that to the moderator just adding the missing character themselves as a part of this effort (where we are methodically going through every single anime and manga and adding every single missing character). It doubles or triples the time it would take for your character info to go live, because instead of the mods being able to just add everything missing as part of this project, they will have to moderate user submissions (for the same exact content)

Essentially it's an up-front cost of turning off the community submissions, which frees up the moderators (the same ones who would have to moderate the community submissions before they can go live) to add all characters in bulk. Then, we plan to reopen the submission process so that users can suggest things like images, tags, etc, things that will then be much faster to deal with, because the initial chars will already be in the database.

tl;dr what you are suggesting would slow the process down by 2-3x.

let me know if i need to clarify further / if it makes sense now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back