Tokyo Godfathers

VivisQueen

[sadht]Tokyo Godfathers[/sadht][sadhl=582]tokyo-godfathers[/sadhl][sadhdc][/sadhdc]

Oh wow, that was FANTASTIC!

*makes note to review*

Absolutely delightful. Along with Grave of the Fireflies, this is the kind of must-watch that ANYONE would enjoy. To everyone who hasn't yet watched this: why the hell have you bastards not bought a copy????

No excuses, people!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay! Somebody else who liked this movie. I thought it was great as well, probably one of my favorite Christmas movies. Everyone else I've talked to thought it was dumb, and too different from the rest of Satoshi Kon's works.

I loved this movie too. Its been quite awhile since I watched it, I think I'm due to check it out again.

Everyone else I've talked to thought it was dumb, and too different from the rest of Satoshi Kon's works.

I agree entirely that it's very different from the rest of Satoshi Kon's work (although it's really far more similar than it may appear at first glance). It is also, frankly IMHO, one of the very best things that Satoshi Kon has ever done, Satoshi Kon is IMHO by far and by a skip and a jump and a few miles of driftwood the greatest director ever to grace Japanese animation and also in my view virtually everything he's touched has been transmogrified into genius.

And even still Tokyo Godfathers is amazing.

So yeah I rewatched it. Like I had be prodded to do that.

Haha. One of the best anime comedies, one of the best anime dramas, and probably one of the best at a lot of other things too - including one of the all-round best anime films.

one of my four 10s ever - tokyo godfathers deserves a few shining reviews, i hope some will come out of WyW! (i watched it when my review writing skills sucked so there isnt an official site one yet)

This film is fantastic. I borrowed a copy from a friend and as soon as the credits rolled I was straight onto Amazon buying my own. I need to watch that again some time. Soon.

I actually own the German limited edition of this... (I wonder why since I can't read Japanese..)
Humour like in the scene where Gin (Jin) says to the policeman that he has to throw away some trash is just priceless....

I loved this movie as well. Fun watch. I still have no idea why the hell i put it off for so long

That reminds me, I should really get around to buying this one when I get the chance, it'd be nice to rewatch it some more.

This movie was good, really good, but totally not what I expected from a Kon movie.
Sure, it had lots of dark themes (gambling, drinking, suicide, child theft, even hints of drug usage, assassination, do I need to go on? :P) , but he managed to give me a happy feeling throughout almost the entire movie due to the eccentric characters. It was a chain of incredibly unlikely events that somehow turned into something great :laugh:

4/5 or 4.5/5, going with the 4/5 for now.

Awesome movie!

Usually, I feel like we don't really learn much about the characters due to length of a movie, but this one prove to be different. Because of the story itself, yes, but we could really know the characters and create a bound with them.
Very peculiar story, everything very well wrapped up, amazing connections would come up where you didnt think they would, good fun, values, etc etc.

loved when the woman that was giving food at the shelter/church found Hana with the baby and said "He was eating for two O.O " xD

4.5!

I did not like it that much. (Yes, my rating of it probably brought down the average.)

I found it fun to watch, and it was able to capture my full attention, but just not my sort of anime.

Awesome movie!
loved when the woman that was giving food at the shelter/church found Hana with the baby and said "He was eating for two O.O " xD

Me too.:laugh:

I don't think people should rate something low because it isn't their type of anime. Just don't vote on it, in that case. I mean I'm not a big fan of Full Metal Alchemist but I appreciate it as a good series because it delivers what it promises. In that same sense this movie delivered whole heartedly in every aspect it could have. The movie is about coincidences ruling life. Karma, or whatever. Life no matter how bad or good has a way of balancing out in the end. All you can do is live it and try to do the right thing when you can. I think that was the point of the movie. Also be enjoyable.

5/5.

Of course people can rate it low when they want to, no one is forced into a certain way of rating. Some do it as objective as possible, and some just rate according to their enjoyment of the anime.
We're not putting up an official site-review, but just displaying our thoughts in this thread.

I don't think people should rate something low because it isn't their type of anime. Just don't vote on it, in that case. I mean I'm not a big fan of Full Metal Alchemist but I appreciate it as a good series because it delivers what it promises. In that same sense this movie delivered whole heartedly in every aspect it could have. The movie is about coincidences ruling life. Karma, or whatever. Life no matter how bad or good has a way of balancing out in the end. All you can do is live it and try to do the right thing when you can. I think that was the point of the movie. Also be enjoyable.

5/5.

I agree that the movie is ful of coincidences, but I don't think it's (mainly) for the reason you said. From what I've read, when you write a movie, things should happen by chance as little as possible. There should always be a reason to why things happen. This is one of the things that I love about this movie, that basicly everything happens by chance and coincidence, it's so damn funny if you ask me.

The only time that the confidences annoyed me was at the end.
Barely a spoiler but might as well:

When Hana just so happens to get a giant gust of wind that catches the drapes, breaking his fall.

I could have laughed if some Prince of Persia stunts were involved, if the drapes snagged round the telephone wires or he just did the ouch ouch ouch rope burn thing all the way down.
it just felt stupid the way it was.

Great film though, the rest of the coincidences were fine and provided laughs and plot advancements but it's that that one could have been written out entirely.

4/5 or 4.5/5 still deciding.

Back