Genshiken 2

Re: Genshiken Season 2

The first season didn't really impress me that much, so I really REALLY doubt that I'll watch the second season...... maybe if I'm REALLY bored I might....

lolz ;)

Did you already start it, kazi? I've got the eps, but I need to watch the OVAs first. I should be starting it shortly :p

The first season was beyond amazing IMO. One of my top 5. OVA was decent.

A couple things that stood out to me during the first season:

(1) No real main storyline. Episodes could pretty much be stand-alone, which goes against my normal taste. Still, the characters were memorable and lovable, and ever episode left me rolling on the ground.

(2) No major inter-personal conflict. Instead, the plots were driven by minor things, like uncomfortable situations or a bruised hand. In fact, most of the time the characters are too shy to even talk to each other. There's an entire episode of just Kasukabe and Madarame sitting in the club room together, not talking. Even Kasukabe's constant friction with Genshiken is nothing more than comic relief.

Prior to watching, I was expecting the series to be a bore, but it turned out to be one of the most touching and hilarious portrayals of otaku culture and an absolute joy to watch.

The second season:

Unlike the first season, it's much more driven by a central storyline (the doujinshi con). Also, it starts out right away (episode 2) with some uncharacteristic clubroom conflict and flaring emotions. It's only 2 episodes in, so I'm trying not to be too quick to judge, but it does seem to have somewhat of a different feel to it. However, considering how I loved the first season, maybe I can only be let down. That and it's been 3 years between seasons. Either way, I'd say I'm enjoying it, just not as much as the first.

New second season characters:

Ogiue: Thumbs up.

Kuchiki: Just bugs me. Totally doesn't fit in, but I suppose that's his purpose.

Did you already start it, kazi? I've got the eps, but I need to watch the OVAs first. I should be starting it shortly :p

No, I haven't, but I like the first series so damn much that I'll start watching it as soon as I finish the first one. I am busy as hell, but I manage a few eps of Excel Saga, Full Metal Panic, and Genshiken every day or two. Its nice that it will be easy to catch up, but this is one of the series I don't actually want to catch up on. I just want it to last forever.

The humor is so subtle in some places and downright comical in others. Its a well thought out, clever anime about.. anime :...: What more could you want?!?! Just the whole premise of being about anime culture and being an anime its self it enough to break my fragile little brain. Think about it! :!!::laugh::smile::love::sweat::sweat::sweat: :pickleda:

OVAs? You mean the 3 kujiki unbalance eps? I cant believe they made that whole thing for the show. If any one hasn't watched them yet, I actually say watch them first. It makes the series so much more interesting. Its like a super anime... Like... super... umm... its just really really anime, lolllz. I dont know, its clever in its self. Any one else watch them?

yea it is kind of confusing.

** 12 episodes - Genshiken season 1
** 3 Kujiki Unbalance OVAs (labeled as episodes 1, 21, and 25 of the imaginary series) were released as bonus OVAs along with the Genshiken season 1 DVD releases
** 3 Genshiken OVAs - takes place between season 1 and 2, and were included along with the DVD releases of a seperate and actual 12 episode Kujiki Unbalance series
** Currently airing - Genshiken 2 - in effect, a second season of Genshiken that picks up where the 3 OVAs left off

Last edited by a moderator:

I watched season 1 and wasn't all that impressed, but it was good enough for me to start watching season 2 which has been pretty good so far.

its fun, i just started watching yesterday and already 3 episodes into the plot.

On another note, I don't think Genshiken 2 will be able to wrap things up, considering that they're at ch. 39 of the manga, with only 3 episodes to go...

Re: Daily Anime Thoughts

Genshiken 2, playing the first ending theme on the credits for the episode in which

Madarame and the others graduated

was a cheap nostalgia trick.

... Definitely worked, though.

Back