Seirei Gensouki: Spirit Chronicles

...Also, it's been a year? Were those dragons just flying for a whole year? Because the last episode implied they were coming, and then the 1 year skip. The fuck.
Yeah, totally thought the same, this felt like they really didn't think this one through, You couldn't even pretend the guys with the egg scenes was based in the part before as they join up with the mc so... apparently they been chased by dragons for a year.... or no one noticed a serious plot hole.

I equally agree again, the time gap is dumb, I get they wanna move the story on but it feels like one of them shows trying to cram 24 episodes of content into 12. I think a small montage of the last year would of been nice if nothing else.
Oh, and nothing more on them being from Japan? Like, this should be huge news, sure he knew Latifa was but c'mon, not only was you there when you both died (not that they know this) but you both have a chance to talk of a place no one else would understand...

Also, how did the guy getting all them eggs know of the village? They imply its seriously well hidden and few to no one know of its location, yet he oh so conveniently points the griffon rider straight into it.

I laughed when it shows the teacher in the end, mostly because i was just thinking how he probably never wrote to her and forgot her (as he will with Latifa) and then it shows her just to confirm this, nice.

Still, pretty annoyed with leaving Latifa behind, it's weird it introduces so many characters for like 2 episodes and leaves them behind. Tis a loss though, i liked having her around/

Oh look, another 1 year time skip with absolutely no changes...

Wait, the villains with the dragon egg have been traveling with a horde of dragons behind them for a whole year? And then the villain man says "It's about time they come after the egg". I'm sorry what? Does the writer have actual brain damage? I guess the dragons were just curious about them so far, they didn't really want the egg or anything, I guess they just got hungry after chasing them for a year and only then decided to come after the egg. They even left their nest unprotected for a whole year, just to chase one single egg. Is this anime a comedy?

Next, the cute kemonomimi harem saw the villain jr. with a prego belly and correctly guessed it was a dangerous egg and told him to come with them, weapons drawn. But then, when the evil boy drew out his little toy dagger, they got so surprised that they just watched as he slowly ran behind a tree, cut the ropes to his griffin, clumsily climbed on top of the griffin and took off on it, all while having a huge ass heavy dragon egg tied to his belly.
Only when he was high in the sky did they finally decide to attack him, but even then the only one attacking was the harpyfu who had fucking wings and she just stood there on the ground shooting lightning up at the sky missing every shot, while all the others were just standing there watching while the dangerous egg boy was riding towards their safe haven. It was hilarious.

Dragon: [Teleports behind you] Nothing personel kid...
Suddenly the sky was filled with dragons, cause as we all know, dragon's are the most stealthy of creatures.
Oh look dragon egg just so happened to conveniently fall in front of fox loli who apparently didn't hear or see the horde of dragons or all the magic being shot at them. Oh look dragon mama saw the egg smushed and automatically assumed that it wasn't because of the man they were chasing for a year, but the tiny fox loli who just got there. Oh look the trees are apparently fire repellant. Oh look the stealthy ass dragon teleported again.
nichijou-hahaha.gif

Fret not, anime Jesus Kirito, sorry I mean "Rio" is here to take out the super dangerous dragon in one shot, which triggers all the other dragons to flee, because "Dragons are timid creatures so if you take out the alpha the dozens of others will just run away". Now Ki- Rio even got matching sword and coat for a perfect Kirito cosplay.

The show is still trash, but it did make me genuinely laugh so it wasn't a complete waste of time. I can finally recommend people to watch this... as a comedy, with drunk friends if possible. Lets hope they keep this up.

Oh god, it gets better... How did the author not get sued for this:
latest

There's taking inspiration and then there's copy + paste.
The same reason Kawahara Reki was not sued for plagiarising black swordsman (even google knows who the real black swordsman is). Btw, Haruto and Kirito even have the same voice actor, jeesh. Took me a while to notice it.

This last ep today was actually pretty good IMO. I doubt it, but I hope it does stay with this style.
But something I noticed is the story seems like a little bit of each popular anime. And this is almost a massive change in things every ep or 2.

Episode 7
Huh... i dunno, they made this village feel like it would be more interesting, it's just a countryside village. The whole black hair comment made them feel different or even outcasts... it is really just more implied they rarely leave their own camps, thus black hair is uncommon in the cities.
also, the journey was lacking. I dunno, this seemed to be his end destination yet here we are half way and he did nothing really, ate some pasta, befriended some half-breeds whilst slaying a dragon and that was all, time skipped a few times i guess. Not sure why he couldn't bring Latina really.

The Sayo girl really couldn't stop mentally undressing Rio... all the while, the other girl just casually re-affirms his crush is probably still alive and there is a chance they will meet, this made me laugh.

This episode was weirdly all girls want Rio... okay.

Creepy rape guy appears, i enjoyed Rio beating his disgusting face, i know its only fiction but man does it send shivers up my spine thinking how that would play out if he wasn't there.
Though this crook is stupid at the least, Rio aside, he decided to wait until this official tax guy was present to try to rape some kids... i mean, really? I dunno why this tax man and guards hold such power in terms of law but regardless of that, he does... and he waited for this guy to get here, no until he had gone, nope. smart move... no really, I'm glad, rot in prison!

And this is almost a massive change in things every ep or 2.
Yeah, i don't generally do much mainstream shows but i notice there is a weird shift in the episodes which make every arc feel different, It's still the same show but...it wants to be something else.
It wasn't a bad episode i guess... At least i got to see that idiot beaten down but i dunno, it's just not something i wanna call "good" either.
side not, the hell you healing that oath for? Just leave him as such, unless you wanna heal him and beaten him down again, that might be fun.
I guess this is the convenient excuse to reveal he is related to the old lady.
That and either 1) the village will celebrate him and welcome him (including the guys this time) as one of their own, or 2) They will fear him, whispers will spread and he will have his reason to be on his merry way.

I imagine this show is coming full circle, he will move on from here, end up eventually at the capital where it all began and end there. The op shows a stand off with him and the knight teacher, so maybe there is that? He fights the new law? It never developed beyond that guys take-over hinted plan after all.

Aww man... episode 7 was... okay. I trusted you show! Episode 6 was hilarious and I actually had fun with how bad it was, and now you give me an "eh, its alright I guess" episode? Why you gotta betray me like this?!
Asobi-Asobase-01-23-Lost-in-Anime.jpg

Jokes aside, I'd rather have a so bad that its good anime than a mediocre one, so I'm not too happy about ep7, but I'm still hopeful that we will get more of that juicy hilarity we got in ep6.
That said, I will praise Kirit- "Rio" for doing what every anime protag is supposed to do in that situation. Sadly most protags are pushovers who barely do a thing even when people get assaulted right in front of them, so good on him for stepping up and smashing that scum into the ground.

Still boring... I miss episode 6.
God forbid Kiri- "Rio" loses a single fight. I mean this new guy was the strongest person in the kingdom (second only to dead papa) and yet this kid beat him effortlessly in front of his family and lord... How embarrassing.

Seriously, I've seen some Gary Stue character in my life, but he really takes the cake:
-he's stronger than god himself
-he's perfect at magic, fighting and everything else
-he's very smart and quick thinking
-everyone respects him as soon as they meet him
-every girl falls madly in love with him upon laying eyes on him
-he is given (not earned, given) a harem everywhere he goes
-he's acknowledged by gods, making him a saint, which results in people worshiping him
-he's the son of the strongest warrior and a literal princess, making him royalty
-beats all the bullies that were mean to me in school and gets all the beautiful babes, cause mommy said I was a good boy and gave me yummy tendies, so you better watch it or I'll go all out just this once! Sorry, where was I? Oh yeah, the list!
The list grows longer with every episode.

I will admit though that "Rio's" final monologue on top of the hill: "Mother, father, forgive me but I must head down this path one last time, no matter the cost!" made me chuckle. There's just no way a 12 years old didn't write this story.
Also, umm... the fuck was she called... *looking up notes* Oh right, Sayo! Sayo was pretty cute, so that was nice. Too bad she's probably getting written out of the story just like every other character we've seen so far.

I don't quite understand the appeal of those harem anime... Is it what the author fantasizes? To have girls fighting for him just because?

I mean, kirito-kun throws a rock at a tree and 5 chicks fall from it on his lap. All moaning "Gives us your naked body, kirito-sama!"

If the guy had done something pretty amazing, saved everyone, won an Oscar for best acting, anything! But he literally just walks into a village and all the girls flood their panties at his sight. Sheesh

I don't quite understand the appeal of those harem anime... Is it what the author fantasizes? To have girls fighting for him just because?

I mean, kirito-kun throws a rock at a tree and 5 chicks fall from it on his lap. All moaning "Gives us your naked body, kirito-sama!"

If the guy had done something pretty amazing, saved everyone, won an Oscar for best acting, anything! But he literally just walks into a village and all the girls flood their panties at his sight. Sheesh
That he has the personality of a slightly moist cracker doesn't help.

That he has the personality of a slightly moist cracker doesn't help.

That's another thing. I don't get that trend plaguing anime in recent years: bland MC is a pantsu destroyer. They are overpowered, even though they never do anything trully remarkable. But when MC-sama farts, everyone feel the urge to hump him.

Why does these MC lack so much in personality? Is it an "Insert yourself here" kinda thing? Do authors deliberately create an MC who is as complex as a cardboard model, in order to make it easier for the viewer to fantasize being the MC of that story?

You know? That trick some games use. Like Gordon Freeman being a mute who makes no decision at all. It's easier for players to roleplay that way.

Why does these MC lack so much in personality? Is it an "Insert yourself here" kinda thing? Do authors deliberately create an MC who is as complex as a cardboard model, in order to make it easier for the viewer to fantasize being the MC of that story?
Yes. It's a common writers technique in any media but it was confirmed some time ago that animes intentionally use bland MC's as it's easier for a viewer/reader to insert themselves into this character position without having to deter from the current show. Bland = relatable to anyone, not because everyone is bland but because we can easily overwrite these elements.
Additionally (though this is just my personal thoughts and dunno if its confirmed), I think they keep it bland or "neutral" might be a more fitting word for this one, simply because sure it's relatable and easy to self insert but additionally as it is a "safe" option. For example, you get a eccentric MC who bases their actions on instinct and not logical deduction, said character might be goofy and make dumb jokes... dad jokes or puns or whatever, the point is, does this appeal to you? Maybe, maybe not. What I am saying is they have to hope people like a personality created, which of course is a risk, people might love it and it might sell twice of many books or get twice the viewers which is great, but it could equally not be liked and found to be a annoyance to many, putting sales down by half as much again, and of course, first impressions is a lot, sure you could fix a not so great character as you go but many wont wait around to see if you do, its assumed if by the end of the first few chapters/episodes, the character (especially main) isn't to your liking, it will remain as such and it isn't for you. Some shows prove this wrong but many wont wait around to see.
I'm not defending this mentality of course, but its something i think writers likely do, make something boring and bland but just enough for people to stick around for, maybe not in the MC but the support has just enough character to keep them around, that is good enough.

I suppose fans don't help this mentality though, as seen commonly with harem shows, when they end, you get fans complain about their favourite girl/boy not getting the ending or the main male/female from the start which was pretty much declared as the winner in the opening actually... wins. People will complain if that one isn't their favourite. This makes writers more fearful to write what they want. I recall some years ago reading a interview with a light novel author who admitted they no longer write what they want but what the fans "expect", which included never offering a real conclusive ending to harem setups in that it wont upset fans of the character who don't "win". This is sad as its creative shackles fans are putting on creators to please them, which you can never do as even if 50% of fans want X ending, another 30% will want Y ending and the other 20% might want Z ending, meaning you can and never will win, you will always get hate.

Again, this isn't to defend bad writing, bland MC's are the bane of anime and commonly ruin many shows but i do admit i don't blame the authors at some points, when their audience is so toxic they limit creation, what more can one do? Of course, not everyone is this way but them few bad apples tar the rest with the brush.

This is one reason I generally don't watch many Isekai, other than being 90% the same, the MC is always just some OP person where everyone flocks to them, of course there are exceptions, many at that but the general setting is this. Now if your MC knows they are OP and maybe turns it into a joke or something, that can work when done right.
Though i say all this but you will commonly find, some of the lesser spoke about shows are some of the best, these shows usually have MC's with personality, and that is why they aren't spoken about... when they air people judge if they like/hate the characters and thus dropthe show if they don't love them, bland MC however? It's to be expected so everyone continues on... see what i mean? It's a risk to give personality but its normal to expect bland and empty MC's, so everyone gives them much more opportunity. It's the same for gamers who complain about this loot box era thing, they all hate them and post video's online about how trashy they are.... as they read out their credit card statement with hundreds of purchases for them, they fuel the thing they dislike.

Back