Horimiya

101/10 ending
1,0000000/10 romance anime
Best anime couple we could’ve asked for
Best romance anime of 2021 and definitely a masterpiece in the romance anime genre of all times
Arigato
9f19b376055d21a440376902fddc9f7055fe1e8d.png

I'm not gonna lie, I picked up this anime because I had nothing better to watch at the time. I heard a lot of people talk about Horimiya, but I didn't have high hopes. With that being said 2 episodes in and I was so emotionally involved. I laughed, I cried, then laughed a whole bunch more. I loved the last episodes, but I honestly wish it was longer. I did not wanted it to end. Now I feel empty inside and again have nothing to watch

Kind of an average-ish romcom for me.

Honestly, it's a bit of a mixed bag because there's a bit of a mixed bag of characters here. I really liked some secondaries and didn't like or felt indifferent to others. I... also really disliked the rainbow hair.

Ngl some of the gay jokes felt like they belonged in early 2000s.

Good show. Got a little teen angsty at times, but I enjoyed it. 4 out of 5. Also...

I feel really bad for Sakura she's best girl in my opinion. But Hori is starting to work on my nerves. She's starting to become overly overprotective he can't even talk to his friends anymore. And what she said in the beginning of the episode that if he was going to leave her it has to be a girl and that it can't be a guy. Which is pretty homophobic. Like he is your boyfriend but you don't own him geez.
While doing a little reading, I discovered apparently Miyamura had a dude with a crush on him in the manga or whatever it was before an anime. Apparently they left that guy out, but left this bit in. Does help contextualize things a tad.

Some final words after watching the last episode...

What a wonderful journey it was watching this anime. One of the best romance anime (at least in my opinion) not only in 2021 but ever!
The last episode, the great finale, was just wonderful. I'm so glad they concluded everything in Horimiya-style which is adorable, full of emotions and cute.

I'm gonna miss Horimiya and every character in it, but I'm glad I was a part of their story.

Good show. Got a little teen angsty at times, but I enjoyed it. 4 out of 5. Also...

While doing a little reading, I discovered apparently Miyamura had a dude with a crush on him in the manga or whatever it was before an anime. Apparently they left that guy out, but left this bit in. Does help contextualize things a tad.
I don't recall seeing a dude with a crush on miyamura and I've read the manga

This series may as well have ended with
with Hori and Miyamura banging
because nothing particularly memorable happened since except
Miyamura getting a makeover only to end up looking like all the other male characters, colors aside.

Kind of disappointing but I don't think it ever became outright bad. Just kind of fell under my expectations after some time.

This series may as well have ended with
with Hori and Miyamura banging
because nothing particularly memorable happened since except
Miyamura getting a makeover only to end up looking like all the other male characters, colors aside.

Kind of disappointing but I don't think it ever became outright bad. Just kind of fell under my expectations after some time.
I mean, I liked it. They're just high school kids. We didn't need any earth shaking event to happen. They're just normal kids doing normal stuff.

I mean, I liked it. They're just high school kids. We didn't need any earth shaking event to happen. They're just normal kids doing normal stuff.
Well if you feel differently, that's all cool and all but as far as I see it, the second half being pretty much "and then they all continued their senior year until graduation and nothing of incident happens", just isn't enough. Character arcs seem to exist in the side cast of for sure and are probably better realized in the manga, but here they just kind of get shuffled about from scene to scene and don't get much attention or really go anywhere before it's all over.

And I don't think the comedy was really good enough to fully pick up the slack either, it's in the comedic No Man's Land of not making me laugh, or being painfully bad in its attempts to.

That said, I still rode it out because the two leads are still pretty cool, their scenes still save it for me.

While i am not the biggest fan of the romance genre, after seeing Horimiya rank very high throughout the season i decided to check it out.

The first half with the focus on Hori and Miyamura was great. Seeing their relationship and themselves progress was very satisfying.
The second half was quite the let down. Side character arcs were ok in itself but nothing outstanding. One time i watched 3 episodes in a row in the second half and after finishing the third one i already couldn't remember what happened in the first one. That coupled with quite a stalemate in the Hori x Miya relationship was quite boring. I heard that the 13 episode anime covered the entirety of 140 chapter manga, so maybe that let-down feeling in the second half was due to many skipped chapters.

Overall only 6 / 10, but maybe i'll check out the manga if i got the time.

Horimiya was great.

If it was made any earlier, (excluding the ova's) it definitely would've been up there with the other romance high school anime's such as, Maid-Sama, Ao Haru Ride, My Little Monster, etc.

I somehow caught up on all the new season stuff, so was bored and decided to finish Horimiya after all. I gotta say- this show did nothing for me. I don't really know what was supposed to be so special about it, but I lost interest in the main couple less than halfway through- it felt like they kind of just stagnated to me, and any progress felt sort of out of left field when it did happen. The side characters were honestly more entertaining, but again, didn't really get to see much resolution. Romance is not a genre I particularly care for, so it wasn't a big loss, but I could have skipped the show altogether and I wouldn't have missed anything.

Also, I don't care what your kinks are, but Hori is just weird, and looking at that relationship, it felt like the kind of first relationship that would not last past high school despite the author's attempts to convince you it would. Hori and Miyamura are just too different- yes, he wants to please her, but why should he try to be more dominant just to satisfy her wanting that? It just didn't seem natural at all, and actually rather creepy. If you want to roleplay, do it at home where people can't see it and misunderstand. Hori is kind of an exhibitionist, I guess. She's just so dominant, I felt sorry for Miyamura, because another girl would have loved him for the quiet, often timid person he is. But again, it's a first romance- these aren't meant to last.

Last edited:
While I really loved Hori and Miyamura I didn't give a shit about a single one of all the other characters. So after like.. ep 4 it's been extremely boring. 3/10.

You know? before you put both their names so close together, after all this time until reading that I didn't realize the show's name sake was a combination of both names.....

That said, I agree and being that the show was named after both leads, the amount of time it wasted on the side characters is just worse.

Originally I was a big fan of the web shorts and thought maybe this could add to that. Now it makes sense why I hold those in higher regard. They were short and to the point, they didn't have enough time to drift focus to things no one cared about. and overall this show amounted to just that, having only enough content to satisfy a short OVA series and nothing more.

I agree after a certain episode this got really boring to watch, which is why I'm so damn late to finishing it up.

1.5/5

I don't recall seeing a dude with a crush on miyamura and I've read the manga

Watabe Ichirou would take creep shots of him and perv him a little bit. Hori even said he was the worse of all the guys and a different lvl at one point.

Last edited:
Lets just start off with this, the manga is better. Better pacing and felt less rushed. Mostly because 60 % of the content is straight skipped in the anime. Skipping that content in anime just made me feel like i was missing something the whole time i was watching and well, i was. Not a great feeling to have when watching a show.

That being said Hori and Miya are still a amazing couple and fun to watch in the anime. They are a very real couple and not to dense when it comes to their relationship unlike some other MC's. Major stuff just kind of happens when you don't expected it with no really hard build up. Like the " I like you", first kiss, the sex scene or the engagement. All happens out of the blue and natural, but not out of place. Its just a slow natural build with their relationship with the lazy time they spend together at her house for the most part. Then the big things kind of just happen naturally as a result of the slow deeping of their relationship. I really like it.

I did dislike somethings in this show and manga. Mostly that no real time was spent examining character dilemmas and anxieties. Like Hori and her future, Sengoku's self confidence, Iura sister, Yamada brother and male fear etc etc. Mostly all characters but Miyamura's get shafted and to be honest it just kind of resolves itself. I guess that's more real but was hoping it would be more of a thing with Hori involved and working it out together.

There is also the fact that no one really finds out about their secrets, manga or anime. No one see's Miya's tattoos, the engagement is unknown to all, how they practically live together and how he is part of their family already. Then how Hori takes care of her brother and acts around home. I mean Yuki still can't tell what Hori looks like without her makeup in the manga near the end chapters, its silly. The one "secret" that does get found out in manga is
When they have sex her Brother Souta knew and asked Miya if they always do stuff like that.
Was a lot better done then in the anime. It added more to asking if he was going to steal his sister away, was sweet.

Then the blue balls ending for most of the relationships really bugged me. They do a 10 year skip in manga and it still doesn't address any of it. Do they finally start calling each other by first names ? Do they get married right away ? college ? etc etc Then all the side characters get shafted. Lots of hints at relationships but nothing really concert in manga or anime. Yanagi x Kono, Iura x Sawada and the biggest and most unforgivable Tooru x Yuki. They just leave it so up in the air its sad. Second most important relationship in show and just nothing.

In the end not addressing or touching on these dilemmas, anxieties, the secrets or really seeing a satisfying end to the relationships left me depressed. The over all story impact was to light without them and no real main conflict or struggles. Then the blue balls end just pushed it down for me. Don't get me wrong was still a enjoyable watch and much more so of a read. Hori and Miya individually and as a couple really carried the show as much as they could for me.I can't stress how much i like them. Its just overall i think there are way better romcoms out there.

Want to give it more because i really like the two MC's and their relationship as it it feels very real. But it just doesn't pull threw in all the other fronts for me. Missing the big feels. I still want to read another two chapter or so expanding on the ending or the road trip years later. That or just another manga set after high school i would absolutely love to get some closure.

3.5/5 anime - Wish it was a better adaptation. 2 cours minimum would have been better.
4/5 manga

going to read the 4-koma next when i can find the last Ova episode for it translated.

Last edited:
Back