Gaming Discussion Thread

Doing a second Alexios playthrough in AC Odyssey and hopefully getting further than Athens this time. This really is Kassandra's story and seeing her as Deimos will always throw me off. After having spent over 200 hours with her it's nice to go back to basics though and fight with at least some strategy again instead of just burning everyone to the ground with one stroke. Also opening treasure chests is exciting again for at least a few hours before the game gets too thrifty with the loot and you're disassembling stuff like mad.

The new AC Valhalla trailer had me pretty hyped btw. Waiting for the gameplay trailer on Thursday to drop but I'm already pretty much sold on its setting.

Doing a second Alexios playthrough in AC Odyssey and hopefully getting further than Athens this time. This really is Kassandra's story and seeing her as Deimos will always throw me off. After having spent over 200 hours with her it's nice to go back to basics though and fight with at least some strategy again instead of just burning everyone to the ground with one stroke. Also opening treasure chests is exciting again for at least a few hours before the game gets too thrifty with the loot and you're disassembling stuff like mad.

The new AC Valhalla trailer had me pretty hyped btw. Waiting for the gameplay trailer on Thursday to drop but I'm already pretty much sold on its setting.
Alexios is such a neat Deimos that I can't really picture him as anything else. Kassandra seems a bit over-the-top as a villain.

I'm at Naxos, but I got sidetracked again and did the Obsidian island and killed all the mercenaries and am now apparently level 49 with a ship that's missing one upgrade per slot. Whoops.

Been so preoccupied with Animal Crossing lately that I haven't even looked at my other games in several weeks...

Need to get back to Dragon Quest XI eventually. I was putting off completing the post game/main story because I wanted to do all the sidequests...

I'm a little nervous since a lot of the games I'm seeing recommend a 1080TI (I have a 1660TI in my PC right now) but I think my PC will do fine.
I started VR with a GTX 970 (on a PCIe 2.0 system). I only had to drop the VR supersampling down to native HMD resolution to get decent performance out of Project Cars. The rest were fine at default steamvr supersampling (or didn't make any difference).

My RTX 2070 on my new PCIe 4.0 system gets better performance and better supersampling. Both Elite Dangerous and Project Cars have performance problems, so it's not uncommon for FPS to drop to 45. It isn't really a big deal, you got used to it.

The little demo and gimmick VR games all run 90fps easy though, since they are usually "optimized" for VR instead of being a real game that has VR support.

If benchmarks are at all accurate...
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti/2577vs4037
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-2070-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1660-Ti/4029vs4037
a 1660ti would probably fall somewhere between. I think you will be fine.

did I ever mention I have a snes game that has a mario sticker whatever you call it on the cartridge but the game itself is something...completely different. i believe it's like in a jungle and a shooter. i should hook up the snes so i can take pics.

I think that mislabelling happened from time to time back in the day. I once got gifted a Sega Megadrive game with a King of the Monsters label for christmas and it turned out to be Master of the Monsters. I'm still glad that happened because Master of Monsters is awesome

Not much new AC Valhalla gameplay was seen but at least I got some new seconds of Bloodlines 2 footage and a Yakuza 7 Western release tease during that XBox X Series livestream today.

There was also this title called Corvus which looked like it was straight out of a H.R. Giger artbook. Looked disgustingly awesome but Agony taught me not to get too hyped for stylish teasers like this so we'll see. Some Bamco game that looked like Code Vein 2 but was named something else looked ok too. Didn't care much for the rest.

*Insert mouth dropping to the floor GIF* O_O
I had the same reaction! Though for me this also made me cry a bit but in a good way! Those headsets need to get back in stock faster so I can try this, it's so close to how I used to play all of my games when I was a kid :crying:

My only complaint is that the NES doesn't seem to look right, at least not in that video. I need it to be the original model for that authentic experience because mine has been busted for years. I wish I knew about all this stuff sooner! If I did I would have gotten into VR a long time ago (though I didn't really have a PC that could really handle it until fairly recently)

I had the same reaction! Though for me this also made me cry a bit but in a good way! Those headsets need to get back in stock faster so I can try this, it's so close to how I used to play all of my games when I was a kid :crying:

My only complaint is that the NES doesn't seem to look right, at least not in that video. I need it to be the original model for that authentic experience because mine has been busted for years. I wish I knew about all this stuff sooner! If I did I would have gotten into VR a long time ago (though I didn't really have a PC that could really handle it until fairly recently)

I seriously hope you can get one!

If I wasn't worried about potential motion sickness, (I don't get motion sickness from playing regular games, but I'm questionable on how well I'd be trying to game with the helmet) I'd be looking into one myself.

Top-loader NES's are ok from what I've read, but yeah, I getcha.

I seriously hope you can get one!

If I wasn't worried about potential motion sickness, (I don't get motion sickness from playing regular games, but I'm questionable on how well I'd be trying to game with the helmet) I'd be looking into one myself.

Top-loader NES's are ok from what I've read, but yeah, I getcha.
Thanks! Here's hoping I get lucky soon :-)

Motion sickness is definitely one of my bigger concerns along with how exactly it's gonna work with glasses, apparently if you don't set it up right you can wind up scratching up your glasses or the VR lenses but there's also prescription VR lenses that I might look into if I enjoy VR enough. As for the motion sickness it sounds like something that people have to build up tolerance to over time in VR. As much as I want to jump straight into Half Life Alyx I might see if I can grab one or two slower paced games so I can ease my way into it. Definitely not going to start out with that rock climbing game! :-D

If you're going to get one make sure your PC is powerful enough for the stuff you want to try, if it isn't then the Oculus Quest is a good option if there's Oculus exclusive Quest-compatible games you want to try first (it can function as a standalone wireless headset and if you purchase an optional cable you can play PC VR stuff if you have a VR capable PC, this neat emulator thing is an example of something you'd need this cable for as far as I know)

I hear top loader NES consoles are better! I've been wanting one for a number of years now cause I think my NES has that classic bent pins issue (that and I'd need to replace the battery for my Zelda games, they've never really been able to keep my save data even back when I got them!)

Thanks! Here's hoping I get lucky soon :-)

Motion sickness is definitely one of my bigger concerns along with how exactly it's gonna work with glasses, apparently if you don't set it up right you can wind up scratching up your glasses or the VR lenses but there's also prescription VR lenses that I might look into if I enjoy VR enough. As for the motion sickness it sounds like something that people have to build up tolerance to over time in VR. As much as I want to jump straight into Half Life Alyx I might see if I can grab one or two slower paced games so I can ease my way into it. Definitely not going to start out with that rock climbing game! :-D

If you're going to get one make sure your PC is powerful enough for the stuff you want to try, if it isn't then the Oculus Quest is a good option if there's Oculus exclusive Quest-compatible games you want to try first (it can function as a standalone wireless headset and if you purchase an optional cable you can play PC VR stuff if you have a VR capable PC, this neat emulator thing is an example of something you'd need this cable for as far as I know)

I hear top loader NES consoles are better! I've been wanting one for a number of years now cause I think my NES has that classic bent pins issue (that and I'd need to replace the battery for my Zelda games, they've never really been able to keep my save data even back when I got them!)

Ah yeah, didn't think about the glasses thing, but still, that's good to know just in case. :)

It miiiiiight be able to, but again, I need to see if I can actually handle playing VR or not before I really consider the possibility. (If my irl BFF ever gets one, or my video game store owner buddy let's me "demo" one, I'll let you know how it goes.)

Oh really? o: Huh. I almost thought about getting one a few years ago, but the front loader NES I have now was on sale back when I originally got it, (it was practically brand new, and only about $50 for the console, 1 controller, all the cables, and a free game the person decided to give me) so that's what I went with. Speaking of which, I'd really love to have more games for it. (Especially for my SNES, which I only have Monopoly for so far. XD )

Back