Review the Song

-----------------------------
A problem I have with this genre is that it's kind of... all the same? And I mean it in a bery literal sense, not a cheaply pejorative on.
The guitar? The drum? The screamer? What they did in that song I have the instrument-equivalent of verbatum heard elsewhere. Even the structure of the whole piece, with the same riffs, and the same pacing as a thousand others. I'm no music terminology expert, but does it even have a melody line? I literally can't imagine humming any part of it, and it feels more like a demonstration of the musicians' technical ability to play their instruments.
--------------------

Now for some more electrohouse transwave synth youtube mashup

A problem I have with this genre is that it's kind of... all the same? And I mean it in a bery literal sense, not a cheaply pejorative on.
The guitar? The drum? The screamer? What they did in that song I have the instrument-equivalent of verbatum heard elsewhere. Even the structure of the whole piece, with the same riffs, and the same pacing as a thousand others. I'm no music terminology expert, but does it even have a melody line? I literally can't imagine humming any part of it, and it feels more like a demonstration of the musicians' technical ability to play their instruments.
--------------------

Now for some more electrohouse transwave synth youtube mashup

I was actually expecting an Airbourne mashup now but it's a b-side instead. Used to "look down" on them as an amusing copycat of AC/DC but tbh this kinda music needs to be around after Angus and friends have thrown in the towel and Airbourne is the closest thing we're getting to that.

It's not terribly original, technically intricate or lyrically moving bla bla but it has balls and is great at what it intends to do. It's the kinda music to have a ball to and let out some aggression, drink beer, steal shopping carts etc. and it's very authentic in that regard. Those crunchy guitar riffs and leads will always sway me no matter what band they're from and it's just something you feel.

I was actually expecting an Airbourne mashup now but it's a b-side instead. Used to "look down" on them as an amusing copycat of AC/DC but tbh this kinda music needs to be around after Angus and friends have thrown in the towel and Airbourne is the closest thing we're getting to that.

It's not terribly original, technically intricate or lyrically moving bla bla but it has balls and is great at what it intends to do. It's the kinda music to have a ball to and let out some aggression, drink beer, steal shopping carts etc. and it's very authentic in that regard. Those crunchy guitar riffs and leads will always sway me no matter what band they're from and it's just something you feel.

The fuzzy guitar solos are so blistering in this song honestly and they're the best part about the song, Dinosaur Jr. never fails with that ever. J.Mascis is sounding as slacker as ever and this song just takes you on cloud nine up into slacker valley with some beautiful melody to it, sitting on a couch while the sun gets in your eyes. I think the production feels a little too washed out for me though, and it could have a little more oomph to it, but that's just me. It's a still a great song.

----
Next Song:

Last edited:
The fuzzy guitar solos are so blistering in this song honestly and they're the best part about the song, Dinosaur Jr. never fails with that ever. J.Mascis is sounding as slacker as ever and this song just takes you on cloud nine up into slacker valley with some beautiful melody to it, sitting on a couch while the sun gets in your eyes. I think the production feels a little too washed out for me though, and it could have a little more oomph to it, but that's just me. It's a still a great song.

----
Next Song:

I kinda expect more out of a band named Satan than instrumental NWOBHM tbh. Definitely not bad and some of the faster speed metal sections and riffs are fun but at the same time it lacks a bit of punch. Once the dual leads set in it's more to my liking, that's just the classic sound right there.

One of those bands that paved the way for thrash and speed metal but were left in the dust once the kids took over. It's ok.

-----------------------

Last edited:
I listened to this record during my commute earlier this month. The breakdown part was usually timed for when the bus arrived, which was suitably significant of a change of transport. Ihsahn's vocals are great, the synths are cheesy, and they let it rip during the fast parts. The production is spot on (I am listening to my remastered copy, because I am a true nerd), and the guitars sound eerily proper howling wind and massacre-like.

I listened to this record during my commute earlier this month. The breakdown part was usually timed for when the bus arrived, which was suitably significant of a change of transport. Ihsahn's vocals are great, the synths are cheesy, and they let it rip during the fast parts. The production is spot on (I am listening to my remastered copy, because I am a true nerd), and the guitars sound eerily proper howling wind and massacre-like.

I remember listening to Cirith Ungol waaaaaaay back, the first album I listened to was King of the Dead I think. For a heavy metal band, I did like the slow doomy influence they incorporated there. This song just isn't doing it for me though with the modern production, the vocals sound weak here and I find the riffs just not very memorable. They just sound better to me when they're playing it slower.

----
Next Song:

I remember listening to Cirith Ungol waaaaaaay back, the first album I listened to was King of the Dead I think. For a heavy metal band, I did like the slow doomy influence they incorporated there. This song just isn't doing it for me though with the modern production, the vocals sound weak here and I find the riffs just not very memorable. They just sound better to me when they're playing it slower.

----
Next Song:

One of the rawest and most important voices in blues rock, musical icon of the late 60s countercultural movement and unfortunate Club 27 member. Janis was pure power and fucking ruled, no matter what band she was in.

Love the pumping bass line and mean organ stabs throughout while Janis brings her hazy rasp and more power to an already upbeat number. There's also something about the late 60s/early70s guitar sound I just adore, that kinda hollowed out and reverb-y tone with the licks and nervous vibrato. Janis was well on her way to incorporate more styles into her music like Hendrix and it would have been interesting to see her go beyond the barriers of 60s psych/blues but unfortunately it didn't happen.

My favorite moment of her is at Monterey Pop '67 when she performs Ball and Chain with Big Brother. Mama Cass is in the audience and the vocal performance just makes her fucking jaw drop.

Great song.

------------------------------

------------------------------
You know when a film does an establishing shot of a car driving, usually in a dry landscape like a desert, and with no roof on the car? I'd be shocked if this song had not featured in such a scene already. The sunny mental image makes me hate my local weather conditions even more.
The song also does one of my favorites: Cheery song that's actually pretty damn dark in content. Great tune.
------------------
Guess I'll do one with a similar dissonance.

You know when a film does an establishing shot of a car driving, usually in a dry landscape like a desert, and with no roof on the car? I'd be shocked if this song had not featured in such a scene already. The sunny mental image makes me hate my local weather conditions even more.
The song also does one of my favorites: Cheery song that's actually pretty damn dark in content. Great tune.
------------------
Guess I'll do one with a similar dissonance.

Some good OLD FOLK PUNK. I do enjoy me some folk punk once in awhile, the acoustic guitar is being strummed hard, all jangly and the song is the perfect length. Scraggly ass voice and dark lyrics delivered with some nice energy and snarkiness too. I likes it.

-------
Next Song:

Last edited:
Some good OLD FOLK PUNK. I do enjoy me some folk punk once in awhile, the acoustic guitar is being strummed hard, all jangly and the song is the perfect length. Scraggly ass voice and dark lyrics delivered with some nice energy and snarkiness too. I likes it.

-------
Next Song:
I've not listened to early Cheap Trick, but this fucking rocks, man. I only know them for their glam-ness and ballads later on, but I am totally digging on this. I should go dig through my father's old tapes, he probably has this album laying around somewhere.

I guess it's a fun enough psychobilly ditty, owing a lot to The Misfits in terms of lyrical content. The horror theme isn't as evident in the actual music, however. Oh, well, who cares? It's catchy while you listen to it, and then it quickly fades away. I bet they're more fun live.

I'm not very into the keys nor the distorted vocals, which lack punch. The drums aren't hardhitting enough, but that might be because I've been listening to eighties live recordings of Metallica.

________

I guess it's a fun enough psychobilly ditty, owing a lot to The Misfits in terms of lyrical content. The horror theme isn't as evident in the actual music, however. Oh, well, who cares? It's catchy while you listen to it, and then it quickly fades away. I bet they're more fun live.

I'm not very into the keys nor the distorted vocals, which lack punch. The drums aren't hardhitting enough, but that might be because I've been listening to eighties live recordings of Metallica.

________

The first part gives a very deep vibe and sounds good, although it kind of makes me feel uneasy. The second part is really powerful and I sure as hell didn't expect that kind of transition so it caught me off guard. The only complaint I have about it is the male vocal. As I've stated before, aggressive screaming vocals have never been my thing. I probably would've liked it more it was a purely instrumental track, but it's bad as it is.

________

The first part gives a very deep vibe and sounds good, although it kind of makes me feel uneasy. The second part is really powerful and I sure as hell didn't expect that kind of transition so it caught me off guard. The only complaint I have about it is the male vocal. As I've stated before, aggressive screaming vocals have never been my thing. I probably would've liked it more it was a purely instrumental track, but it's bad as it is.

________

This bored me a lot unfortunately. It's like the tune never wants to get started and only ever starts taking off at the last third or so. I guess most minimal electro stuff just isn't for me but I definitely liked the video.

----------------------

This bored me a lot unfortunately. It's like the tune never wants to get started and only ever starts taking off at the last third or so. I guess most minimal electro stuff just isn't for me but I definitely liked the video.

----------------------

Some progressive brit hard rock, this song is pretty damn energetic with some majestic sounding melodies out of those keyboards. Makes you want to grab a horse and ride it across the sahara for me. Certainly can't hurt to have some of Ginger Baker's impressive drumming as well not that Adrian Gurvitz is any less legendary. Gun's race with the devil single is probably one of the most well known British rock singles ever. Pretty great song.

----
Next Song:

I haven't been here in a long time, so this is a welcome return to this thread.
Hmmm, I haven't heard modern psychedelia in a long time. The constant tension, and the muffled vocals combined with the repetitive drums made this a fun surprise. I might check out these guys later.

I may not be the biggest fan of the beatles but I will always have fucking MAD RESPEK for John Lennon tho. This song already gets me really nostalgic like, with how sunny and colorfully vibrant the music is, Mind Games is an extremely well known song by lenon. It just reverberates through every pour of your body with his iconic pleasant voice. IT MAKES YOU JUST FEEL GOOD MAANG. It's a nice song.

-----
Next Song:

I may not be the biggest fan of the beatles but I will always have fucking MAD RESPEK for John Lennon tho. This song already gets me really nostalgic like, with how sunny and colorfully vibrant the music is, Mind Games is an extremely well known song by lenon. It just reverberates through every pour of your body with his iconic pleasant voice. IT MAKES YOU JUST FEEL GOOD MAANG. It's a nice song.

-----
Next Song:

This is preeeetty heavy and hard-hitting for a 1966 beat tune already and the energy is undeniable, especially with the vocalist's freakouts and bangin' drums. Small Faces were still part of the British Invasion and I can definitely imagine some US kids going nuts to this after chilling to John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers. I never listened to the Small Faces myself but they're pretty wild apparently. Liked it.

----------------------
Better turn this one up all the way:

----------------------
Better turn this one up all the way:
Is it weird that I want to hear Jack Black sing that song?
I really enjoy these sorts of more slow-paced songs that show that ACDC is able to do more variety than just the fast paced stuff they are best known for. It's sort of a warmup piece that's a great to aggressively relax with, if that makes any sense
----------

Next up is some 20 years old Finnish metal

Is it weird that I want to hear Jack Black sing that song?
I really enjoy these sorts of more slow-paced songs that show that ACDC is able to do more variety than just the fast paced stuff they are best known for. It's sort of a warmup piece that's a great to aggressively relax with, if that makes any sense
----------

Next up is some 20 years old Finnish metal

The finnish really love that ol melodeath honestly, they have a sturdy DM scene there. I think the band that sticks to my head the most is probably Amorphis from this country. Chilly sounding synths for atmosphere, and I get distinct power metal shenanigans going on here but there's enough hardness in the song for me that I'm enjoying it. Dude's vocals are nice, harsh but intelligible. Not what I'd normally listen to, but not bad at all though.

----
Next Song:

The finnish really love that ol melodeath honestly, they have a sturdy DM scene there. I think the band that sticks to my head the most is probably Amorphis from this country. Chilly sounding synths for atmosphere, and I get distinct power metal shenanigans going on here but there's enough hardness in the song for me that I'm enjoying it. Dude's vocals are nice, harsh but intelligible. Not what I'd normally listen to, but not bad at all though.

----
Next Song:

This gives me several genre vibes but mostly it sounds like a mariachi band that picked up electric guitars for the first time and went into a latin surf rock jam. I like cool instrumentals like this with lots of shimmering guitar chords and arpeggios, makes it sound dangerous like outlaw music. The accordion and cello parts remind me sooo much of the NOLF and Max Payne 2 soundtrack it's not even funny while the rest sounds like something off the Rain Dogs album by Tom Waits. Not much to say about an instrumental track like this but I sure liked it.

-------------------------------

Back