Review the Song

Foetus is pretty cool one man project. I really like the sound Thirlwell has created to this project. It's post punk with some industrial, and experimental avant-garde stuff thrown into together and creates a weird mix that pleases my punk side and experimental side equally.

This song has a pretty strong post punk base with some clear industrial elements in rhythm section. Riffs are simple yet effective, so are the bass parts. Drums have that hard-hitting industrial sound I love, there are some cool experimental stuffgoing on with strings with some industrial sounds thrown into mix. It's not the most bonkers experimental shit I've heard, but gives a nice layer to this song. And can't forget the vocals from Thirlwell himself. They kinda bring a mixture of Dave Mustaine and Sid Vicious in my mind when I hear them. They are heavy, raspy and perfect for this song.

Like I previously said Foetus has always pleased my punk side and experimental side at the same time and this song isn't an exception. I definitely dig it

---
Once again some not so famous Finnish metal from me:

It's cool and Meshuggah-ish soundwise but reminds me of Slayer's Chemical Warfare too much which is a hundred times better to me. FUCKITUUUUP!!!!

--------------------------------
Damn, now I wanna listen to some Haunting the Chapel:

Last edited:
It's cool but reminds me of Slayer's Chemical Warfare too much which is a hundred times better to me. FUCKITUUUUP!!!!

Damn, now I wanna listen to some Haunting the Chapel.

--------------------------------

Hahaha..........I posted this band before. I'm glad you like them that much @Schizm. ;p

Repulsion is basically one of the precursor grand daddys and roots of grindcore along with Siege. Napalm Death has even cited these guys as an influence. Horrified is basically the only album they made. Absolutely unapologetic with the demo production and crunch fest guitar tone. This is straight to the point grindcore goodness, gotta love the thrashing riffs, the slayer solo like dive bombs into oblivion, Scott Carlson's punk as fuck rotting snarl and BLAST BEATS, BLAST BEATS, BLAST BEATS, DID SOMEONE SAY BLAST BEATS? Who the shit gives a fuck about variety, it's all about being intense as you can be here. This album was one of my introductions to xtreme metal honestly.

A filthy and raw primitive classic that needs to be appreciated more.

-----
Next Song:

Last edited:
Hahaha..........I posted this band before. I'm glad you like them that much @Schizm. ;p

Repulsion is basically one of the precursor grand daddys and roots of grindcore along with Siege. Napalm Death has even cited these guys as an influence. Horrified is basically the only album they made. Absolutely unapologetic with the demo production and crunch fest guitar tone. This is straight to the point grindcore goodness, gotta love the thrashing riffs, the slayer solo like dive bombs into oblivion, Scott Carlson's punk as fuck rotting snarl and BLAST BEATS, BLAST BEATS, BLAST BEATS, DID SOMEONE SAY BLAST BEATS? Who the shit gives a fuck about variety, it's all about being intense as you can be here. This album was one of my introductions to xtreme metal honestly.

A filthy and raw primitive classic that needs to be appreciated more.

-----
Next Song:
This was definitely something new. Industrial beat with gospel/soul-like singing thrown into the mix.

I'm always up for some experimenting in music, especially if the experimenting pays off. Even though this mixture isn't probably the most craziest it works really well and the singers gospel-like singing fits with the industrial stuff pretty well. Lyrically song was also something that I liked a lot. And icing on the cake is that it's pretty catchy.

Don't have much to say about this. Into my never-ending music backlog this bands debut goes.

---
Next:

This was definitely something new. Industrial beat with gospel/soul-like singing thrown into the mix.

I'm always up for some experimenting in music, especially if the experimenting pays off. Even though this mixture isn't probably the most craziest it works really well and the singers gospel-like singing fits with the industrial stuff pretty well. Lyrically song was also something that I liked a lot. And icing on the cake is that it's pretty catchy.

Don't have much to say about this. Into my never-ending music backlog this bands debut goes.

---
Next:

Some pretty chugging death doom metal with growly vocals and some disinterested spoken word stuff in there. It's sooooooooooooo weird listening to this sometimes honestly because I know Anathema as an alternative rock band so this is pretty far removed from what I'm used to hearing. The guitars I don't think sound heavy enough for this type of music although they work in a nice sense of melody sometimes in there. It's okay I guess? But I do think they could have cut the song length to be a bit shorter.

----
Next Song:

Last edited:
Some pretty chugging death doom metal with growly vocals and some disinterested spoken word stuff in there. It's sooooooooooooo weird listening to this sometimes honestly because I know Anathema as an alternative rock band so this is pretty far removed from what I'm used to hearing. The guitars I don't think sound heavy enough for this type of music although they work in a nice sense of melody sometimes in there. It's okay I guess? But I do think they could have cut the song length to be a bit shorter.

----
Next Song:
This is one of my personal favorite Scorpions songs. Sadly it's also not one of their hit songs so I didn't get to hear it when I saw them a few years ago.

Scorpions really do know how to make catchy hard rock songs and beautiful power ballads. This of course showing their groovy rock side. Riffs are catchy and could easily give some of their hit songs like "Rock You Like A Hurricane" or "Blackout" a run for their money. They are so groovy as well. Also those licks in the chorus are fucking best. Solo is great, drums and bass are also doing a great job and Klaus Meines vocals are great as usual.

This album is probably their most underrated one if you ask me. Great album and track!

---
Next:

Next:
I actually don't care much for Nirvana's complete ouvre, but their slower tracks usually work for me. This is no expection. I prefer Kurt's more snarling vocals here, with barely-held back anger, and the band is better when they're not trying to rock. This delivers more fury and contempt, and the guitar parts are wobbling about. Good stuff.

I actually don't care much for Nirvana's complete ouvre, but their slower tracks usually work for me. This is no expection. I prefer Kurt's more snarling vocals here, with barely-held back anger, and the band is better when they're not trying to rock. This delivers more fury and contempt, and the guitar parts are wobbling about. Good stuff.

First I thought this is going to be some kind of HC punk song, but it soon turns into a mix of crust and grindcore. Riffs are pretty average grindcore riffs that are really good stuff. Drumming is lively and accompanies the aggressive feeling of the song well. Vocals remind me of Keijo Niinimaa from Rotten Sound, and now that I think about it their sound is kinda similar to Rotten Sounds later works like "Abuse to Suffer". Plus points for neat solo as well.

This song was just what I needed right now, pure aggression that makes you want to jump into mosh pit or at least break your neck while you headbang to this in your room. Probably have to listen more of these guys later.

---
Once again time to dig up some progressive stuff I haven't heard in ages:

It has been WAAAAAAAAYYYY too long since I've actually commented on this thread. Time to change that.

---
Next:
Holy smokes! This is pre-Vincent vocals. Now that's what I call O.G. Anathema right there. Not my favorite time frame for the band as the music was very raw and the vocals were harsh. However, I was always curious as to how the group would've evolved if the original members were to stay together and grow both lyrically and melody, especially with DW on vocals.

----
Next Song:
You are a Godsend. Scorpions are just what a pure Metal heart sounds like pumping out the music that they did, and Taken by Force is no exception.

The Mercury years...oh God! Loved that time frame when they had sooooooo many amazing freakin' songs (i.e. Holiday, Make it Real, No One Like You, Don't Stop at the Top, Send Me an Angel, and the list goes on and on...).
Never heard of this group, but holy shit this song kicked ass.

First I thought this is going to be some kind of HC punk song, but it soon turns into a mix of crust and grindcore. Riffs are pretty average grindcore riffs that are really good stuff. Drumming is lively and accompanies the aggressive feeling of the song well. Vocals remind me of Keijo Niinimaa from Rotten Sound, and now that I think about it their sound is kinda similar to Rotten Sounds later works like "Abuse to Suffer". Plus points for neat solo as well.

This song was just what I needed right now, pure aggression that makes you want to jump into mosh pit or at least break your neck while you headbang to this in your room. Probably have to listen more of these guys later.

---
Once again time to dig up some progressive stuff I haven't heard in ages:
Amen for progressive rock/metal, the BEST music of all the amazing music out there. I have heard of Adagio, but never heard them. There sound is reminiscent of well built, time changing sounds by groups such as Dream Theater and Symphony X with a dash of classic Kansas thrown in for good measure. I think the emphasis on some quality piano play, especially towards the beginning in the songs opening sequence, is fantastic! Maybe I'm just bias since that was the first instrument I learned how to play (and still favorite sounding). Plus, I sense a hint of power metal as well, which oft' goes hand-in-hand with progressive melodies and sounds. I have to admit @SpiritOfCoffeeMug, you have definitely piqued my curiosity in regards to them. Thank you for that! It's a hard song to follow.

Next Song

It has been WAAAAAAAAYYYY too long since I've actually commented on this thread. Time to change that.

Holy smokes! This is pre-Vincent vocals. Now that's what I call O.G. Anathema right there. Not my favorite time frame for the band as the music was very raw and the vocals were harsh. However, I was always curious as to how the group would've evolved if the original members were to stay together and grow both lyrically and melody, especially with DW on vocals.

You are a Godsend. Scorpions are just what a pure Metal heart sounds like pumping out the music that they did, and Taken by Force is no exception.

The Mercury years...oh God! Loved that time frame when they had sooooooo many amazing freakin' songs (i.e. Holiday, Make it Real, No One Like You, Don't Stop at the Top, Send Me an Angel, and the list goes on and on...).

Amen for progressive rock/metal, the BEST music of all the amazing music out there. I have heard of Adagio, but never heard them. There sound is reminiscent of well built, time changing sounds by groups such as Dream Theater and Symphony X with a dash of classic Kansas thrown in for good measure. I think the emphasis on some quality piano play, especially towards the beginning in the songs opening sequence, is fantastic! Maybe I'm just bias since that was the first instrument I learned how to play (and still favorite sounding). Plus, I sense a hint of power metal as well, which oft' goes hand-in-hand with progressive melodies and sounds. I have to admit @SpiritOfCoffeeMug, you have definitely piqued my curiosity in regards to them. Thank you for that! It's a hard song to follow.

Next Song
I haven't heard Soen in a long time even though they kick ass imo. I have to fix that now.

What we have here is pretty damn high quality progressive metal from a band that consist of musician from other metal bands such as Opeth. Amon Amarth, Testament and many more. Riffs are heavy and complex, just how I love them. Leads and solo are beautiful and portray the melancholic vibe of this song really well. Vocals are also really beautiful and remind me of Opeth a lot. Drum- and basswork are solid and both have some neat things going on throughout the song.

It's heavy, progressive, melodic and beautiful. Standard, but awesome progressive metal.

---
Next:

Next:
Yo, ease up on the rusty nail applied to scrorum, plwase. I'm trying to hear the actual music.
Man, it sounds kinda cool, but it honestly felt like the definition of generic heavy metal stuff. Like without exgagerration I'm pretty sure I've heard that exact same melody elsewhere many times, including that way of playing the instruments "hard" but without any special melody. And yes, the tortured cat screaming just did not work.
Anaal. Haha. Nice. 10/10

Nyext

Yo, ease up on the rusty nail applied to scrorum, plwase. I'm trying to hear the actual music.
Man, it sounds kinda cool, but it honestly felt like the definition of generic heavy metal stuff. Like without exgagerration I'm pretty sure I've heard that exact same melody elsewhere many times, including that way of playing the instruments "hard" but without any special melody. And yes, the tortured cat screaming just did not work.
Anaal. Haha. Nice. 10/10

Nyext
This song is really tongue-in-cheek parody song about 2000's radio rock and it does it's job really well. It's a generic radio rock song that parodies them. I really got nothing else to say about it. It's as straight forward parody and song, and cause that was the joke I appreciate it.

---
Next:

This song is really tongue-in-cheek parody song about 2000's radio rock and it does it's job really well. It's a generic radio rock song that parodies them. I really got nothing else to say about it. It's as straight forward parody and song, and cause that was the joke I appreciate it.

---
Next:

The smiths is really hit or miss with me, this is one of their cooler songs though from the debut album. The bass is fucking GREAT, and it's the best part about the song honestly aligned with some jangle guitars trademark.

----
Next Song:

The smiths is really hit or miss with me, this is one of their cooler songs though from the debut album. The bass is fucking GREAT, and it's the best part about the song honestly aligned with some jangle guitars trademark.

----
Next Song:

Never been a fan of Supergrass at all. I like how you can click through the song to any timestamp and it sounds almost exactly the same as the previous timestamp. It just drones on and on without anything interesting happening.

-------------------------

NEXT SONG:

Feels like getting hit in the face with a table.

Never been a fan of Supergrass at all. I like how you can click through the song to any timestamp and it sounds almost exactly the same as the previous timestamp. It just drones on and on without anything interesting happening.

-------------------------

NEXT SONG:

Feels like getting hit in the face with a table.

Sounds like Dillenger Escape plan if they were on a ton of acid and decided to be thrashier. Lots of pounding discordant noise and jaggedness, with drums that sound like nail guns. Can't really deny this song has a visceral impact to me. I enjoyed that.
-----

Sounds like Dillenger Escape plan if they were on a ton of acid and decided to be thrashier. Lots of pounding discordant noise and jaggedness, with drums that sound like nail guns. Can't really deny this song has a visceral impact to me. I enjoyed that.
-----

Ahah, Melt-Banana, been a while since i listened to these guys. I'm a big fan of math so i love chaotic music, so i've always been into this. Usually would pair Melt-Banana with Midori when i want some non-sensical madness. I'll guess you're a fan of Midori if you like these guys.

---------------------------------

NEXT SONG:

Experimental prog with all sorts of shit going on. The entire EP is brilliant and is worth checking out if you like this track.
[/QUOTE]

Ahah, Melt-Banana, been a while since i listened to these guys. I'm a big fan of math so i love chaotic music, so i've always been into this. Usually would pair Melt-Banana with Midori when i want some non-sensical madness. I'll guess you're a fan of Midori if you like these guys.

---------------------------------

NEXT SONG:

Experimental prog with all sorts of shit going on. The entire EP is brilliant and is worth checking out if you like this track.
Now this is my jam. Some random prog nerd introduced me to this band in one convention and I've been listening their stuff ever since.

This track (and whole EP) kinda reminds me of Genesis, Dream Theater and Persephone combined. Neoclassical instrumentation that reminds me of early Genesis, clean singing and most of the metal instrumentation give that DT-vibe for me. And that breakdown + growling brings some more melodeath-inspired progressive band into my mind.

Riffs are solid, technical and brutal in some cases, neoclassical instrumentation brings a lot of variation to this track, drums and bass also have that complex shit that I love so much going on and together they make pretty epic neoclassical prog metal.

Thumb rule is that if it's progressive rock or metal. I will most likely love it. That's the case here as well.

---
Next

Now this is my jam. Some random prog nerd introduced me to this band in one convention and I've been listening their stuff ever since.

This track (and whole EP) kinda reminds me of Genesis, Dream Theater and Persephone combined. Neoclassical instrumentation that reminds me of early Genesis, clean singing and most of the metal instrumentation give that DT-vibe for me. And that breakdown + growling brings some more melodeath-inspired progressive band into my mind.

Riffs are solid, technical and brutal in some cases, neoclassical instrumentation brings a lot of variation to this track, drums and bass also have that complex shit that I love so much going on and together they make pretty epic neoclassical prog metal.

Thumb rule is that if it's progressive rock or metal. I will most likely love it. That's the case here as well.

---
Next

Jesus man, this song sure takes you on a journey. It goes through so many different phases. I was getting read to start to writing this post to say that the song has a lot of different elements thrown in, but they all work together to form a cohesive whole and then I realized that I was only 3 minutes into a 9 and half minute song. The song was just getting started taking me to different places.

I like the split between the clean vocals and the more metal sounding growling. The clean vocals give me a chance to understand and appreciate the lyrics, but the growling stuff gets across that metal feel when the music starts going real hard. It's a sort of sad, sort of angry song about the abuse of mother nature.

Musically it's really pretty at some points. I like that complex and layered symphonic feel. It changes it up throughout the song and there's a progression that actually works and doesn't feel jarring.

It's nice overall.

================================

Jesus man, this song sure takes you on a journey. It goes through so many different phases. I was getting read to start to writing this post to say that the song has a lot of different elements thrown in, but they all work together to form a cohesive whole and then I realized that I was only 3 minutes into a 9 and half minute song. The song was just getting started taking me to different places.

I like the split between the clean vocals and the more metal sounding growling. The clean vocals give me a chance to understand and appreciate the lyrics, but the growling stuff gets across that metal feel when the music starts going real hard. It's a sort of sad, sort of angry song about the abuse of mother nature.

Musically it's really pretty at some points. I like that complex and layered symphonic feel. It changes it up throughout the song and there's a progression that actually works and doesn't feel jarring.

It's nice overall.

================================

Love the instrumental here, some chill acoustic guitar fingerpicking and flute samples like something I'd expect to find on a Nujabes or Specifics record. Socially conscious lyrics and songs about THE STRUGGLE tend to bore me a bit these days but I still prefer them over modern gangbang hustler shit. The guy is quite the wordsmith too and reading up on his background was interesting. I'd say it's supposed to be sad and reflecting subject matter but still a lot less whiny than what passes for it today.

-----------------------------------

Love the instrumental here, some chill acoustic guitar fingerpicking and flute samples like something I'd expect to find on a Nujabes or Specifics record. Socially conscious lyrics and songs about THE STRUGGLE tend to bore me a bit these days but I still prefer them over modern gangbang hustler shit. The guy is quite the wordsmith too and reading up on his background was interesting. I'd say it's supposed to be sad and reflecting subject matter but still a lot less whiny than what passes for it today.

-----------------------------------
What's with all these awesome prog metal picks? Not that I have anything to complain about them. It has just been a real treat to review them, even though I'm not that good of wording my opinion that clearly about them.

Queensryche is definitely one of the classics of the progressive metal genre. Especially their earlier works, that remind me of Iron Maidens progressive era mixed with Dream Theater, that started operating about the same time as these guys.

Operation Mindcrime is one of my favorite early progressive metal albums. It's probably first one to perfectly capture the essence of progressive metal. Song includes some of the catchiest prog metal riffs there is. Beautiful leads and soaring solo that reminds me of some early power metal like Helloween. Geoff Tate in vocals is awesome as always. Drum parts are really memorable and bass is doing splendid job as well. This song isn't their most progressive one, but there are clear elements of progressive music in this song as well.

Whole record is perfect in my books. That probably tells my opinion of this song as well.

---
Next:

What's with all these awesome prog metal picks? Not that I have anything to complain about them. It has just been a real treat to review them, even though I'm not that good of wording my opinion that clearly about them.

Queensryche is definitely one of the classics of the progressive metal genre. Especially their earlier works, that remind me of Iron Maidens progressive era mixed with Dream Theater, that started operating about the same time as these guys.

Operation Mindcrime is one of my favorite early progressive metal albums. It's probably first one to perfectly capture the essence of progressive metal. Song includes some of the catchiest prog metal riffs there is. Beautiful leads and soaring solo that reminds me of some early power metal like Helloween. Geoff Tate in vocals is awesome as always. Drum parts are really memorable and bass is doing splendid job as well. This song isn't their most progressive one, but there are clear elements of progressive music in this song as well.

Whole record is perfect in my books. That probably tells my opinion of this song as well.

---
Next:

Never heard of these guys before, but the song was fairly cool. I like a long instrumental intro in a song, even if it didn't quite build as much as i hoped it might. Feels like it could have went up another notch before or just as the vocals came in, but still pretty decent.

--------

Next Song:

Back